Drug screening for an entire pharmacy

Started by ethyl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone been suspected of drug diversion and targeted for drug screening? An entire pharmacy department of over 2 dozen people were drug screened (urine + blood draw) due to C-II discrepancies. I understand practically everybody on this message board has signed to allow random drug testing... but drug testing due to suspicion is something different. I thought if someone is under suspicion for diversion and drug tested, they would need to be suspended pending results too.
 
where i work (before I started) probably 10-15 years ago there was some percocet missing and they told everybody in the pharmacy they would be drug screened unless the person came forward, ironically it turned out the percocet was not diverted, simply misplaced and it was found.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my techs worked at a store where they got broken into like 3 times (and each time it was like 30 seconds to steal everything). Everyone got drug tested and screenings and stuff :-/ I don't believe any C-II's were missing though.
 
I shouldn't be accountable at work for what I do at home.
Unless your hospital is missing the thing you test positive for, I don't see how they'd hold you accountable. In your case, I doubt it would come up.
 
Unless your hospital is missing the thing you test positive for, I don't see how they'd hold you accountable. In your case, I doubt it would come up.

I'm pretty much talking about weed. If there is oxycodone missing and I get drug tested, would the test show up positive for marijuana assuming I smoked it or would the test only be looking for oxycodone? I guess I'm confused about what type of drug tests there are. Is it simply a drug panel being run or a specific drug screen.
 
I'm pretty much talking about weed. If there is oxycodone missing and I get drug tested, would the test show up positive for marijuana assuming I smoked it or would the test only be looking for oxycodone? I guess I'm confused about what type of drug tests there are. Is it simply a drug panel being run or a specific drug screen.

I strongly advise you review your company policy word for word regarding drug screening.

In most retail and hospital settings, there will be a policy buried somewhere that says they reserve the right to drug test you if they have reasonable suspicion of impairment. This suspicion typically includes accidents on the job, where the workers comp would need to pay out (for example, you poke yourself in the IV room and have to get it looked at in the ER, or you crash a forklift into a wall in a retail setting). Or, if narcs go missing and you were in the vicinity, this could be reasonable suspicion.

In response to your question, they would run a comprehensive drug panel, typically a 9 or 10-panel urine screen. They would not just test for the missing substance. Most companies do urine screens, but some, like cardinal, do hair. If oxycodone was missing, but you test positive for marijuana, you would almost certainly be terminated for violating some policy saying that you showed up impaired, and referred to your state board as an impaired individual. In a retail setting they would drive you to their local drug screening clinic. In a hospital, they would just take the sample in the hospital.

You would then have to prove to the board that you are not an impaired pharmacist. That burden would fall on you. You WILL lose your license if you cannot prove your non-drug use. They will run more comprehensive drug tests on you, and if you smoke weed regularly, it could take a couple weeks to clear your system. I have heard anecdotally of state boards requiring hair tests in these situations as well, which you WOULD fail and lose your license pending a multi-year rehab program.

They may not try and pin the missing oxycodone on you, but you would still be massively screwed.

Tread lightly, if at all.
 
So an employer shouldn't fire an employee accused of first degree murder?
How exactly does the killing of a human being equate to privately partaking in a substance that does little or no harm to the user? A more fitting comparison is firing an employee accused of illegally downloading the newest episode of Game of Thrones.
 
How exactly does the killing of a human being equate to privately partaking in a substance that does little or no harm to the user? A more fitting comparison is firing an employee accused of illegally downloading the newest episode of Game of Thrones.

It's a fair point but since people on this board like to dismiss logic, I'll spin it another way: so an employer shouldn't fire an employee accused or convicted of DWI?
 
It's a fair point but since people on this board like to dismiss logic, I'll spin it another way: so an employer shouldn't fire an employee accused or convicted of DWI?

Nope. You go to jail, do your time, and when you're done you go back to work.

I was thinking about BASE jumping off a certain structure in NYC in the near future. It would almost certainly result in an arrest, should I lose my job for that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope. You go to jail, do your time, and when you're done you go back to work.

I was thinking about BASE jumping off a certain structure in NYC in the near future. It would almost certainly result in an arrest, should I lose my job for that?

The difference is that pharmacist is considered a public trust position.

If the public cannot trust you not to violate the controlled substance act, then logic follows that you aren't to be trusted with a pharmacist license
 
Nope. You go to jail, do your time, and when you're done you go back to work.

I was thinking about BASE jumping off a certain structure in NYC in the near future. It would almost certainly result in an arrest, should I lose my job for that?

If you work for me and don't show up for the duration of your detention, you'd probably be fired.
 
Wouldn't it count as leave of absence?

Let's say it's not DUI. Let's say it's for rioting or disorderly conduct. I knew quite a few pharmacy students who were at Occupy Wall Street and were able to run away from the cops.

If you no call/no show for one shift, you're gone. Leaves of absence need to be approved ahead of time.
 
I'm pretty much talking about weed.

Please be ready to answer their question:
Do you have legal prescription for that medication?

If you smoke weed and legally got prescription, you are okay only in this aspect.
But, then, the inspector is also forced by law to report to the board about his or her knowledge that because you consume weed at home, you may be impaired at work and your judgement may be not as sharp as the board would like.

Likewisde, for any medication you took because your mom passed on to you, be sure you have your OWN LEGAL PRESCRIPTION to answer the question:
Do you have legal prescription for that medication?

Why do I bring up this question? Because of this statement form Pharmacy board of California:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/pharmacist_recovery.shtml

"Substance abuse can strike anyone. A recent study indicated that 46% of the pharmacists and 62% of the pharmacy students studied had used controlled substances at some time without a prescription. That does not mean that everyone who has used drugs improperly becomes a substance abuser, but highly educated and trained health professionals are not immune to alcoholism, other chemical dependencies or mental illness. Indeed, their greater access to abusable substances may increase potential risk."

Do you have legal prescription for that medication?

The bottom line to help us is:
Do not appear to be drowsy or impaired at work.

California Pharmacy Board forced us to report impaired pharmacy coworkers. Please do not give them a reason to harm you or drag you into a situation that you have to explain and clarify.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/lawbook.pdf
4104. Licensed Employee, Theft or Impairment: Pharmacy Procedures
(a) Every pharmacy shall have in place procedures for taking action to protect the public when a
licensed individual employed by or with the pharmacy is discovered or known to be chemically,
mentally, or physically impaired
to the extent it affects his or her ability to practice the profession
or occupation authorized by his or her license, or is discovered or known to have engaged in the
theft, diversion, or self-use of dangerous drugs.
.............
(c) Every pharmacy shall report and provide to the board, within 14 days of the receipt or
development thereof............

Be aware, your coworker is now forced to report you....even if they do not want to report....
Do not give them a compelling reason....please....
 
Low quality hemp oil supplements will cause a positive marijuana test, and require no prescription.
 
Low quality hemp oil supplements will cause a positive marijuana test, and require no prescription.

Very good, please be aware as well of this:
Tasty muffins with poppy seeds will show positive drug test, falsely. (Source: Seinfeld TV Show.)

http://news.msn.com/rumors/rumor-poppy-seeds-can-make-you-fail-a-drug-test
Can eating poppy seeds really make you flunk a drug test due to the morphine found in the poppy plant?
TRUE: Poppy-seed-tainted drug tests are quite common

Opiates from poppy seeds or other sources usually stay in a person's system for up to 48 hours.

"It doesn't happen as much at it used to," Lykissa said. "But we still see it. Poppy seeds have made a lot of trouble for people over the years."


...........
The bottom line to help us is:
Do not tell anyone that you are impaired or appear to be drowsy or impaired at work.
 
Very good, please be aware as well of this:
Tasty muffins with poppy seeds will show positive drug test, falsely. (Source: Seinfeld TV Show.)

http://news.msn.com/rumors/rumor-poppy-seeds-can-make-you-fail-a-drug-test
Can eating poppy seeds really make you flunk a drug test due to the morphine found in the poppy plant?
TRUE: Poppy-seed-tainted drug tests are quite common

Opiates from poppy seeds or other sources usually stay in a person's system for up to 48 hours.

"It doesn't happen as much at it used to," Lykissa said. "But we still see it. Poppy seeds have made a lot of trouble for people over the years."


...........
The bottom line to help us is:
Do not tell anyone that you are impaired or appear to be drowsy or impaired at work.
I believe this is the case with an initial drug screen - but you can then do a more sensitive test that will rule this out (similar to sudafed and meth) - at least this is what one of my lab buddies told me (who was probably making meth in his garage)
 
Wouldn't it count as leave of absence?

Let's say it's not DUI. Let's say it's for rioting or disorderly conduct. I knew quite a few pharmacy students who were at Occupy Wall Street and were able to run away from the cops.

Your employer doesn't have to give you a LOA and hold your position during incarceration. They can allow you to use up your paid time off but can fire you for job abandonment if you don't return when that's up. Incarceration is not something that qualifies one for FMLA, at least I don't think so.
 
The bottom line to help us is:
Do not appear to be drowsy or impaired at work.

It's pretty easy to tell when someone is high. It's not necessarily drowsiness or sedation all the time.

Personally, I get the "perma-grin", I get super friendly with everyone but also more confident/assertive and I get definitely more flirty with the ladies (I'm usually more reserved/shy with new people).
 
I am glad I started the downward spiral that this thread became.

1. i believe in the legalization of mary jane (much safer and less problamatic than ETOH)
2. I have NEVER tried the above said drug
3. I will never try it provided it is illegal and I am a pharmacist due to the fact I will lose my job if I am caught
- likely not lose my license, but would be required to go through the prn process.
4. I have no problem for being able to fire somebody if they drop a positive test
5. I work in an "at will" employment state - essentially I can fire you for any reason at any time provided it is not a protected reason (age, sex, race, sexual orientation, etc) -
6. This is the exact reason I am so glad I am in the most union unfriendly state in the country - reward mediocrity and protect the employee from themselves - you do the deed - face the music