Drug Testing in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belligero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone has heard of Drug Testing in Medical School either by the School or by the Federal Government (Stafford Loans)?

Members don't see this ad.

hehe... seems like a loaded question to me....

Yep they make you pee in a cup before every exam. Instructions sent out by email the day before exams go something like this:

Exam starts promtly at 8AM
Please sit in your assigned seats
Please bring #2 pencils and erasers
DO NOT FORGET to bring a urine sample cup to be submitted at the end of the examination. You will not be admitted to the testing room without a urine cup.
Grades will be distributed by individual departments.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
there wouldnt be enough students left if they started drug testing

Maybe it's time to grow up and stop using drugs.

ddmoore54 said:

....then we can work on getting everyone to stop smoking and drinking, and then get everyone to eat healthy. :laugh: :laugh:
Dude, look at your class....most are probably ON drugs.....

ddmoore54 said:

Maybe its time you started actually contributing to conversations instead of just being condescending.

I wish we still had the karma system....

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't LECOM (Lake Erie Osteopathic) require a a drug test and background check prior to matriculation.

Stafford Loans... That's a good one, I'll have to remember that one!

heard a rumor that they'd start drug testing at Ross last semester.

Nada happened on that front as far as I know.

I think our attrition would become skyrocket if they did. Not many people would be left in school.

raptor5 said:
Doesn't LECOM (Lake Erie Osteopathic) require a a drug test and background check prior to matriculation.

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
phllystyl said:
Maybe its time you started actually contributing to conversations instead of just being condescending.

I wish we still had the karma system....

I do contribute to conversations. I contributed to this one. Would you have preferred I said, "ohh, don't worry about it they don't drug test, do as many as you want."

In my opinion drugs are not evil and using some of them in moderation is not going to make you braindead. However, one day in the somewhat near future, we are going to be physicians, and as such command an incredible amount of leadership and power over the lives of our patients. For this reason, physicians need to set an example and lead from the front. Do I smoke, no... do I drink, absolutely... but I do it when appropriate and am damn certain that I don't abuse it. How would you feel about having your physician or surgeon be an illegal user of either perscription or other drugs???

There was a time that I used to say many illegal (not perscription) drugs were not hurting anybody but the people that used them, however as I have become more knowledgable about international relations I can understand the link between terrorism and drugs. Many people scoff at the idea, but it's fact. Drug profits are almost always fueled into criminal and terrorist activities. Look at FARC in Columbia, or the cartels in Mexico, or the fact that the Taliban continued the production of Poppy, despite the fact that using it was punishable by death. Not to mention, the crime associated with the distribution and sale of drugs. If you stop using drugs, then you know you are not contributing to these ills. I'm not going to get into the debate on whether drugs should be legalized, because as of now they aren't, and that's an entirely different argument in itself.

ddmoore54 said:
I do contribute to conversations. I contributed to this one. Would you have preferred I said, "ohh, don't worry about it they don't drug test, do as many as you want."

In my opinion drugs are not evil and using some of them in moderation is not going to make you braindead. However, one day in the somewhat near future, we are going to be physicians, and as such command an incredible amount of leadership and power over the lives of our patients. For this reason, physicians need to set an example and lead from the front. Do I smoke, no... do I drink, absolutely... but I do it when appropriate and am damn certain that I don't abuse it. How would you feel about having your physician or surgeon be an illegal user of either perscription or other drugs???

There was a time that I used to say many illegal (not perscription) drugs were not hurting anybody but the people that used them, however as I have become more knowledgable about international relations I can understand the link between terrorism and drugs. Many people scoff at the idea, but it's fact. Drug profits are almost always fueled into criminal and terrorist activities. Look at FARC in Columbia, or the cartels in Mexico, or the fact that the Taliban continued the production of Poppy, despite the fact that using it was punishable by death. Not to mention, the crime associated with the distribution and sale of drugs. If you stop using drugs, then you know you are not contributing to these ills. I'm not going to get into the debate on whether drugs should be legalized, because as of now they aren't, and that's an entirely different argument in itself.

the civil war in colombia will only end when drugs are legalized. also, bad foreign policy fuels terrorism far more than America's cokehead population.

but, DD, i do agree with you in saying that there is a time and place for everything, and the medical profession is not the place for recreational drug use.

Dr Turninkoff said:
the civil war in colombia will only end when drugs are legalized. also, bad foreign policy fuels terrorism far more than America's cokehead population.

oh my friend, how innocent you are.......do you honestly think that simply legalizing drugs (i take it you mean here in America) would untangle a ridiculous mess that has been brewing for almost 50 years in Colombia? Would all of the kidnapping/ransoms, and other acts of terrorism halt? If it were only that simple.........

felipe5 said:
oh my friend, how innocent you are.......do you honestly think that simply legalizing drugs (i take it you mean here in America) would untangle a ridiculous mess that has been brewing for almost 50 years in Colombia? Would all of the kidnapping/ransoms, and other acts of terrorism halt? If it were only that simple.........

It is a gross oversimplification to say that you could fix the problems in Colombia by simply legalizing drugs here in the U.S. The prior poster does make a valid point, however, when he points out that the ends of evil and lawless people are best served by a thriving blackmarket. The unfortunate truth is that people will always seek and find drugs. When you make a drug illegal you create a situation that allows those willing to operate outside of the law to become incredibly wealthy and powerful. Just look at what prohibition did for organized crime in this country.

I don't really care if someone chooses to use drugs as long as they don't endanger others while they're doing it. I think drunk driving should get you 10 years in jail minimum. If the U.S. would get over this ridiculous double standard we have with alcohol and other drugs, we could control and tax drug traffic in this country, and we would put the really evil people in the business out of business. Before anyone jumps on a high horse and attacks me for my views, keep in mind I worked in a rehab and I've watched people I love struggle with recovery. Keeping their drugs of choice illegal just forces them to go outside of the system to do what they are going to do anyway. I HATE drug dealers.

I have to laugh every time I see that ad that says "buying drugs supports terrorism"... because the only reason this is true is that U.S. drug policies have created a perfect market for evil entities to exploit.

As far as the OP's point goes, why shouldn't we get drug tested? We make decisions that can change peoples' lives every day (even as med students). Every time I get on a plane I'm certainly hoping that the airline is drug-testing the pilot.

Enkindu said:
I have to laugh every time I see that ad that says "buying drugs supports terrorism"... because the only reason this is true is that U.S. drug policies have created a perfect market for evil entities to exploit.

The relationship between illegal drugs and terrorism is hardly the complete fault of the United States. Why not include the hundreds of other countries around the world where drugs are illegal?

ddmoore54 said:
The relationship between illegal drugs and terrorism is hardly the complete fault of the United States. Why not include the hundreds of other countries around the world where drugs are illegal?

Of course you are correct- any country that has similar policies helps create the problem. The U.S. does, however, represent a huge part of the illegal drug market, and because I am a U.S. citizen I feel more comfortable being critical of policies that I bear some responsibility for.

Belligero said:
I am just curious if anyone has heard of Drug Testing in Medical School either by the School or by the Federal Government (Stafford Loans)?

IM sure if you contact barry bonds and all his BALCO friends, they can design a drug specifically to produce the high you want, and most importantly make it undetectable. dont worry about drug tests. there is always a way to beat the system.

The largest cash crop in America is Marijuana.
What is an acre of Marijuana worth? How about an acre of corn?

hopkins is the only hospital to require regular drug tests by house staff