drug testing in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdmolarslayer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do all residencies drug test before matriculation?
do they inform you of this before hand? do they have to inform you before?

Members don't see this ad.

3rdmolarslayer said:

yeah, you just have to know which urinal flushes straight to the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have we been smoking a little mowie-wowie lately?

I think most would. But just be sure to ask the attendings this question in your interview.

north2southOMFS said:
Have we been smoking a little mowie-wowie lately?

I think most would. But just be sure to ask the attendings this question in your interview.

I'm sure he's just asking for a "friend".

3rdmolarslayer said:

You should be able to continue to eat those poppy seed bagels and muffins....

i don't want any of you newbies to use this info to your advantage but just to let you know, cannaniboids are detectable in urine for upto a week in the urine, longer in HEAVY chronic (no pun intended) users. Now if they test your hair, like they do inmates and parolees, thats a different story (several months) Cocaine sticks around for about 48 hours or so. PCP doesn't stick around for very long either but can have false positives from meds like benadryl. Just to clarify, I know this only because of the number of junkies i've treated over the past 4 years. I wonder what the guy in my avatar was on.

At my program, in order to get an accurate specimen, they take all urine drug screen samples with an in & out Foley catheter. I was lucky--none of the Foleys were long enough to get into my bladder. I was permitted to go to the bathroom, where I quickly removed the test tube duct taped to my calf and emptied it into the specimen cup. God bless good genes...

scalpel2008 said:
...Just to clarify, I know this only because of the number of junkies i've treated over the past 4 years...
Suuuuuure......

On the TV show, Mythbusters, they were trying to see whether poppy seeds would make the person test positive for opium. According to the various respectable lab tests, people who ate bagels with poppy seeds tested positive for opium. :scared:

Doggie said:
On the TV show, Mythbusters, they were trying to see whether poppy seeds would make the person test positive for opium. According to the various respectable lab tests, people who ate bagels with poppy seeds tested positive for opium. :scared:

i love that show. Those guys have the ultimate dream job. the episode where they cultured toothbrushes and found nasty stuff was distrubing. anyway, yeah, the opium thing is true but it just shows up as opiates on a urine drug screen, which is the same as if you took a vicodin (or heroin). reminds me of that seinfeld episode when elaine tested positive. :laugh:

so i possibly got myself caught in a 'sticky' situation...however i didnt inhale ;)
if you are going to be drug tested, dont they have to let you know before hand? or at least when you give the urine sample?
also, what is being tested when they take the urine sample and mix it with a blood sample?
thanks guys and keep the jokes coming :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
3rdmolarslayer said:
so i possibly got myself caught in a 'sticky' situation...however i didnt inhale ;)
if you are going to be drug tested, dont they have to let you know before hand? or at least when you give the urine sample?
also, what is being tested when they take the urine sample and mix it with a blood sample?
thanks guys and keep the jokes coming :laugh:

i don't know if they are required to let you know beforehand. the only reason i can guess for checking a blood sample would be to check for hep B immunity. i believe they can also check your chances of passing step 1 on your first try.

3rdmolarslayer said:
Our residency program drug tests everyone who is employed at the hospital. I think you can safely bet that if you attend a hospital based residency that you will be drug tested. Stay off the weed for 30 days and you'll be fine. :D

scalpel2008 said:
i don't want any of you newbies to use this info to your advantage but just to let you know, cannaniboids are detectable in urine for upto a week in the urine, longer in HEAVY chronic (no pun intended) users. Now if they test your hair, like they do inmates and parolees, thats a different story (several months) Cocaine sticks around for about 48 hours or so. PCP doesn't stick around for very long either but can have false positives from meds like benadryl. Just to clarify, I know this only because of the number of junkies i've treated over the past 4 years. I wonder what the guy in my avatar was on.

Oh, that's an old office prank - switching someone's decaf to regular! Happens every time... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I was ever tested. Thank goodness....

ok i know that i am beating a dead horse...just bare with me please. if i gave a urine sample and on the lab sheet there was nothing marked in the urinalysis section, is it safe to say that it is being used for a drug screen? should i speak to my program director about this now before he gets results? if it comes up positive for marijuana is that automatic dismissal?

3rdmolarslayer said:
ok i know that i am beating a dead horse...just bare with me please. if i gave a urine sample and on the lab sheet there was nothing marked in the urinalysis section, is it safe to say that it is being used for a drug screen? should i speak to my program director about this now before he gets results? if it comes up positive for marijuana is that automatic dismissal?

It would be pretty dumb to go to your program director w/o knowing a) what you sent was a UDS (although it most likely was unless he wanted to make sure you weren't pregnant, had a UTI, some weird nephropathy, in DKA, or other a bazillion other things he wouln't care about) and b) whether or not it will be positive for cannaniboids. like i said, it depends on when and how much. and if it does turn out positive, here are some excuses
1) i just wanted to make sure i was getting the best stuff for my grandpa w/ glaucoma
2) i went to a dave matthews band concert a week ago and i thought the air smelled weird
3)my hippie aunt sent me a care package with some of her special brownies, now i know why they made me hungry.
as far as grounds for dimissal, i don't know.

disclaimer: i do not advocate the use of any illicit substances, the above excuses were merely pulled out of my rear. they have never been used in any situation to get out of dismissal from elementary, middle, junior, or high school or any other academic institution

scalpel2008 said:
It would be pretty dumb to go to your program director w/o knowing a) what you sent was a UDS (although it most likely was unless he wanted to make sure you weren't pregnant, had a UTI, some weird nephropathy, in DKA, or other a bazillion other things he wouln't care about) and b) whether or not it will be positive for cannaniboids. like i said, it depends on when and how much. and if it does turn out positive, here are some excuses
1) i just wanted to make sure i was getting the best stuff for my grandpa w/ glaucoma
2) i went to a dave matthews band concert a week ago and i thought the air smelled weird
3)my hippie aunt sent me a care package with some of her special brownies, now i know why they made me hungry.
as far as grounds for dimissal, i don't know.

disclaimer: i do not advocate the use of any illicit substances, the above excuses were merely pulled out of my rear. they have never been used in any situation to get out of dismissal from elementary, middle, junior, or high school or any other academic institution
:laugh: :thumbup:

3rdmolarslayer said:

I think you should just stop worrying because there is nothing you can do about it now anyhow. Go home and drink a beer and forget about it. Just out of curiosity how long before the test did you smoke the hashish? Maybe it won't show up.

General dentistry isn't all that bad...you'll get used to it.