Drug testing post-acceptance/pre-matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsTuRoN

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been a long time reader and lurker of these forums and i was recently accepted into my top choices. my question for all pertains to drug testing. i'm not an avid pothead, but i do enjoy the occasional bowl to relax myself after a hard and taxing week of finals and midterms. :cool: Do any of you know if Marquette or UoP require drug tests of their D1 students prior to matriculation? any answer would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

so i've been a long time reader and lurker of these forums and i was recently accepted into my top choices. my question for all pertains to drug testing. i'm not an avid pothead, but i do enjoy the occasional bowl to relax myself after a hard and taxing week of finals and midterms. :cool: Do any of you know if Marquette or UoP require drug tests of their D1 students prior to matriculation? any answer would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance!
You'll fit in at San Fran if this is the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, lay off the pot for a while so you don't have to worry about it!

Lol, lay off the pot for a while so you don't have to worry about it!

haha you'll have the whole summer to sober up! pot stays in your system how long again? a month or two??

It seems quite infeasible to bring people in for testing between the time of acceptance and the time of matriculation given the relative frivolity of the summons and the costs involved.

But they do have every right to test you when you show up, so be sure to give yourself the full 30 days beforehand (or 60 if your body fat is super high...) ;)

Wouldn't risk it

I say sober up 6 weeks ahead of time and shave the hair from your body.:thumbup:

This has to be one of the funniest threads i've seen (by comparison to others). But from everything I've heard and read THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana) is metabolized quickly, as in several days to a week, if you aren't a regular smoker.

LOL, cant lay off that herb? Well I doubt they will drug test you before arriving, for reasons others have stated. There is a small chance they will test you when you arrive, so why not take some precautions? One of my roommates is an avid pot smoker and he has had to quit a few times for employment. He suggested not smoking 6 weeks before a piss test, b/c THC can take that long to clear your system. On the other hand, if they were mean enough to take a hair sample, you would have had to quit smoking 2-3 months in advance.

Good luck and try to lay-off the goodnight bowls. Maybe eventually you wont need it as a stress-reliever before sleep.

I'm taking a drugs & the brain class right now. "Heavy users" (once a day) can still have testable amounts after more than 3 weeks cause THC is hydrophobic... or something.

... final in 12 hours for that class!

from what i have gathered, no dental schools perform drugs on students (unless if you had previous criminal records related to drug uses)

LOL to whoever said that you'll fit right in, in SF!!!

Yeah, but seriously, you should lay off the weed while you prepare to enter dental school. Not like I'm a shining beacon of morality or anything, but do you think it's appropriate to be on weed as a health care professional? I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this. Many people argue that as long as you don't smoke it, it's perfectly healthy. I have a friend who swears that a joint is more healthy than your typical alcoholic drink...

Yeah, but seriously, you should lay off the weed while you prepare to enter dental school. Not like I'm a shining beacon of morality or anything, but do you think it's appropriate to be on weed as a health care professional? I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this. Many people argue that as long as you don't smoke it, it's perfectly healthy. I have a friend who swears that a joint is more healthy than your typical alcoholic drink...

No, it is not appropriate... (but I'm sure some people will still go ahead and do whatever drug they've been using)

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the more mature you get, you realize that you shouldn't be doing that. With that said, some people never grow up! But, no, I don't think its appropriate for any type of professional to partake in such habits.

sorry, I'm confused here... I understand weed is illegal in *most* states in the USA, with some having small amounts of it decriminalized. But say you were to visit somewhere where it was decriminalized or legal, then why can't you smoke/eat/ingest said substance?

Like, I understand the ramifications if you are high/drunk and working with patients - that's just irresponsible, but what you do in your private time and space shouldn't be any of the dental school's business. Atleast, I hope they trust our judgment and respect our privacy to prevent from it coming down to this...

What's next? Will they start checking our lockers at school for recently stolen possessions? Soon their values will be imposed on us as students, and it is all downhill from there... Will they punish us for conceiving a genetically engineered baby because 'the faculty' doesn't think it is acceptable for a professional to do such a thing?

I highly doubt that the school can legally withhold your acceptance due to positive drug test. If you can show that you visited someplace where it is legal or even if there is a possibility that you visited such a place I doubt that they can legally deny you. The acceptance letter they send out is legally binding.

Do you need to borrow my avatar? I knew one of these threads would pop up...LOL!

Schools and employers have no legal right to drug test you without informing you of their policy beforehand. Check out the school's website for their drug/ alcohol policy. If they do testing, they would state it there. The ones I've looked at say something along the lines of "no treating patients under the influence." Most mature professionals couldn't care less how you relax in your free time, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else and your patients are receiving excellent treatment. DO be sure that you know the state's policy towards marijuana because it has been decriminalized in many states, but some states still have zero tolerance.

Are yall serious!? Anyone on here that has said that schools can't "legally withhold your acceptance for failure to pass a drug test" is a douche! And yes, I know that violates SDN policy for namecalling. I have heard that they DO drug test and I'm sure they don't do it just for giggles. This is from Baylor's website:
All students enrolled in an educational program at The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center that includes, or may include at a future date, assignment to a clinical health care facility with a requirement for drug screening, will be required to undergo and pass such testing.

Now I don't know what schools drug test and which ones don't but to listen to some of you pass on ridiculous information drives me crazy. To the OP, lay off the weed man. That way you don't take the chance ruin an oportunity others would die for.

Are yall serious!? Anyone on here that has said that schools can't "legally withhold your acceptance for failure to pass a drug test" is a douche! And yes, I know that violates SDN policy for namecalling. I have heard that they DO drug test and I'm sure they don't do it just for giggles. This is from Baylor's website:
All students enrolled in an educational program at The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center that includes, or may include at a future date, assignment to a clinical health care facility with a requirement for drug screening, will be required to undergo and pass such testing.

Now I don't know what schools drug test and which ones don't but to listen to some of you pass on ridiculous information drives me crazy. To the OP, lay off the weed man. That way you don't take the chance ruin an oportunity others would die for.

Damn someone needs a bowl for real lmao

Actually, unless they can prove that the weed that you smoked was done so illegally they can not dismiss you. You cant break a legal contract because you think someone may have broken the law. Unless it says somewhere on the form they send you that bthis is all depndent on you passing a drug test/physical/ w/e they have no legal right no dismiss you.

Actually, unless they can prove that the weed that you smoked was done so illegally they can not dismiss you. You cant break a legal contract because you think someone may have broken the law. Unless it says somewhere on the form they send you that bthis is all depndent on you passing a drug test/physical/ w/e they have no legal right no dismiss you.

Hey that's great news OP! Evidently they just drug test for the fun of it so you don't have to worry about a thing!

Hey that's great news OP! Evidently they just drug test for the fun of it so you don't have to worry about a thing!

I would say the drug test is more to scare you than anything else. Have you ever heard fo anyone being dismissed from school for failing a drug test. As one of the previous people said, if you smoke weed in a state where it is decriminalized then you did nothing wrong. They cant dismiss you for that.

I would say the drug test is more to scare you than anything else. Have you ever heard fo anyone being dismissed from school for failing a drug test. As one of the previous people said, if you smoke weed in a state where it is decriminalized then you did nothing wrong. They cant dismiss you for that.

No I haven't heard of anyone being dismissed for failing a drug test but I also haven't heard of anyone failing a drug test. I really don't know what they'd do, I just feel like it's a little presumptuous to say that they won't do anything if you fail it.

Thank you all for your replies!!!! :)

Not school but I know that at a rather large company I used to work for well qualified applicants were rejected and personnel fired for failing drug tests. To the school you are a qualified applicant but they can replace you at the drop of a hat if need be. I also imagine that the state laws regarding cannabinoids have an influence on the actions taken by the school. In a no tolerance state the penalty will be much harsher than say a decriminalized state.

Again it isn't worth the risk

Check the school site on Drug testing. Possiblility it could be admission on a contingent basis of you passing a drug test. That is a pretty unlikely scenario tho. For graduation purposes tho I have found that you can be granted admissions on the contigency that you graduate. I doubt they will grant you admission, let you move to that city and get ready for school and then drug test you- you fail and they say peace out! My guess its a good way to get on their bad side though. Might wanna consider using more recreationally tho as hopefully next year we wont have time for any hooter smokin

im naked, drunk, and high...u dont even know, u dont even know!!!! just kidding, im just pms-ing on my extra progesterone implant i just got in my arse.:p:thumbup::xf::smuggrin::sleep::eek::cool::):rolleyes::idea:

im naked, drunk, and high...u dont even know, u dont even know!!!! just kidding, im just pms-ing on my extra progesterone implant i just got in my arse.:p:thumbup::xf::smuggrin::sleep::eek::cool::):rolleyes::idea:

Someone's having a great time.

OP, they don't drug test. Don't fret over a few bowls. Just bake and eat some good food. And enjoy yourself after finals with the ganj.

I love these threads because it always denigrates into a war between the self-righteous moralists shaking their stick at someone for being inappropriate and irresponsible because they smoke a few bowls in their off-time, and the (rational) majority who doesn't blow it out of proportion.

NO school can just surprise you with a drug screen without first informing you of their policies. Most MD/DO/Dental students get tested before their clinical years, but I have never heard of students getting tested before matriculating at school. I think that would be bad for business.

The majority of med students have their **** together. That's why they got into medical school!! But to think that students aren't going to engage in some drinking and a little ganja on occasion is naive. Newsflash::: People are going to do this in all phases of their careers!! Pot is not isolated to undergrad, it is just becomes less common after.

To the OP--if you like blaze a little at night I say power to ya, just find out for sure your school's policies before continuing any further. If you gotta quit for a while, you gotta quit. You got accepted into your top choice dental school so you are obviously not an irresponsible dolt.

And to all you stick-shakers---get off your high horse. You berate an intelligent adult for enjoying a little weed in his OFF TIME when half your campus is black-out drunk after finals. Were talking about pot here, not hard drugs. Yes they are both illegal but there is a distinction---some people act like all recreational drugs are one in the same.

Bottom line is, if you smoke and your school tests, stop WELL in advance of any test. If they test randomly during clinical years, stop completely. If you don't smoke then you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user