Drug Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

primusrocks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering if pre-admission screening was starting to use drug testing as part of the process. I smoke (weed) every once in a while and it is something that can be stopped but i was just wondering if that is something i should be prepared to do in the admission process. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

kudos for the entertainingly ambiguous phrasing

Hi,
I was just wondering if pre-admission screening was starting to use drug testing as part of the process. I smoke (weed) every once in a while and it is something that can be stopped but i was just wondering if that is something i should be prepared to do in the admission process. Thanks a bunch.

No one drug tests that I am aware of but I do know MANY residencies and hospitals that will. My advice... Put down the pot and move on. You will have to stop eventually anyway and this lessons that risk that you will have a problem. The loans still have to be paid back even if you are fired as a resident.

Now if you get busted for drug possession between here and there then the schools may care as this shows up on the now required background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewers watched me pee in a cup right there. Then afterwards we lit our Philly blunts and talked about where to get the best Mary Jane around the school. My experience was pretty universal.

My interviewers watched me pee in a cup right there. Then afterwards we lit our Philly blunts and talked about where to get the best Mary Jane around the school. My experience was pretty universal.

I think that girl in the yellow bikini would test positive for HGH. :eek:

No one drug tests that I am aware of but I do know MANY residencies and hospitals that will.

I think your awareness is a little limited. Several med schools drug test. Just do a search -- this has come up before.

I think your awareness is a little limited. Several med schools drug test. Just do a search -- this has come up before.

I meant to say that of the schools I am aware of none of them do. (In the set of schools I know not all schools). Mixed up the words when I wrote them thanks to being post-call.

LSU requires a drug screen, which is sent to you very shortly after your acceptance letter.

I'd advise you to stop for the time being. Medschools aren't the NFL, and won't overlook a positive result. (Direct stab at ricky williams, who i think is scum of the earth.)

Hi,

screening during the application process is something I never encountered.

some med schools (WashU, probably a good number of other too) drug test their med students immediately upon matriculation

alot of med schools probably drug test before rotations due to patient contact, duh

most residencies (actually probably all) will drug test

do what you want, but don't be stupid.

Thanks everyone, i think ill be able to manage and put down my "philli blunt" <cough cough> jk thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Direct stab at ricky williams, who i think is scum of the earth.)

damn that is pretty harsh. Just because he wanted to smoke pot in India and not play football anymore makes him scum of the earth?

damn that is pretty harsh. Just because he wanted to smoke pot in India and not play football anymore makes him scum of the earth?

I won't go into details, but-

1) The fact that he's willing to throw away a promising multimillion dollar career because he has no respect for the law, nor any self control.

and

2) I have experience with him personally outside of just your "average fan." My uncle is a sportscaster who interviewed him (and reported his negative behaviour, attitudes, etc.) and I received death threats both on his life and mine from "proud New Orleanians." Turns out the "saviour of the saints" turned out exactly as reported.

I will provide the article upon request.

---------------------------

To answer the other person's question... Shreveport.

So far (end of MSI) Duke has not tested my class.

As far as I know, they haven't tested the almost-finished MSIIs either.

Anyone from the schools that DO test know what happened if the THC-test lit up like a christmas tree (particularly at acceptance/matriculation - obviously at onset of patient-care the repercussions are prolly worse)?

I am sure that there are PLENTY of qualified (and deserving, mind you) candidates who would have such a thing happen; I can't imagine that smoking up during the summer before MSI would be grounds for dismissal or a rescission of offer. Maybe a conference and a warning, but is there anyone who knows for sure?

I'm curious.

So far (end of MSI) Duke has not tested my class.

As far as I know, they haven't tested the almost-finished MSIIs either.

Anyone from the schools that DO test know what happened if the THC-test lit up like a christmas tree (particularly at acceptance/matriculation - obviously at onset of patient-care the repercussions are prolly worse)?

I am sure that there are PLENTY of qualified (and deserving, mind you) candidates who would have such a thing happen; I can't imagine that smoking up during the summer before MSI would be grounds for dismissal or a rescission of offer. Maybe a conference and a warning, but is there anyone who knows for sure?

I'm curious.

No one knows for sure, but Shreve is quick to let you know that an acceptance letter does not equal matriculation, and that a simple stroke of a pen will make someone on the waiting list very very happy.

If they'll deny you admission based on not turning in your stuff on time, then i'm sure a positive drug result means instantly "booted."

--------------------------------------------------------
Before anyone starts claiming B.S. on my last post (because i'm sure you will :) ), here's an article where they interview my uncle about his piece on Ricky Williams. About halfway down.
http://www.asne.org/index.cfm?ID=5634

If they'll deny you admission based on not turning in your stuff on time, then i'm sure a positive drug result means instantly "booted."

[/url]

"the internet" - allowing people to make bold sweeping statements without any backup or proof since 1999... (or whenever)

Posting that you smoke (pot) on a public forum where some adcoms are known to hang out probably isn't the smartest idea...

Posting that you smoke (pot) on a public forum where some adcoms are known to hang out probably isn't the smartest idea...

the guy has 8 posts...oh wait...the adcoms have supermod powers to see IP addresses and have magic powers to know the identity of the IP address down to a specific individual. :laugh:

the guy has 8 posts...oh wait...the adcoms have supermod powers to see IP addresses and have magic powers to know the identity of the IP address down to a specific individual. :laugh:

If he sticks around, eventually some identifying info will come out (unless he does the smart thing and creates a new username)
cheeky-smiley-013.gif

"the internet" - allowing people to make bold sweeping statements without any backup or proof since 1999... (or whenever)

If you'll re-read my post, you'll realize the tone of voice is an extrapolation of a personal opinion, therefore requires little proof.

All I have to prove is that the website led me to believe that they would deny me admission based upon failure to meet deadlines, and then my assumption becomes valid.

Quote the Shreveport admissions FAQ-

Nota Bene, Accepted applicants who arrange their priorities with something besides med school at the top (like being in a wedding [even their own] or going on that long vacation before getting their physicals and immunizations done, or not getting official transcripts from all schools they have attended since high school sent before the due date) are laying themselves squarely in harm's way. A stroke of the pen would make a Wait-Listed person immeasurably happy as you forfeit your place.

The week before registration, at least one Wait-Listed applicant, with all the required deeds and documents in hand, is on notice for possible fast-track matriculation should someone fail to deliver ... They will love you!

In addition,

Quote the shreveport admissions FAQ-

As part of the school's commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment, along with all new faculty and employees, incoming students are required to pass a drug screen and criminal background check prior to matriculation. Offers of acceptance are contingent on passing both.

Contigent. Not... "We'll think about it." "We'll consider it." or "Maybe it'll be an issue." Contingent.

I think the language is plenty clear enough. But hey, I guess that's making a bold sweeping statement without proof.

http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/for_accepted_students.html#Drugs

Now if you get busted for drug possession between here and there then the schools may care as this shows up on the now required background check.

You usually dont get a record for pot.

If you'll re-read my post, you'll realize the tone of voice is an extrapolation of a personal opinion, therefore requires little proof.

All I have to prove is that the website led me to believe that they would deny me admission based upon failure to meet deadlines, and then my assumption becomes valid.

Quote the Shreveport admissions FAQ-

In addition,

Quote the shreveport admissions FAQ-

Contigent. Not... "We'll think about it." "We'll consider it." or "Maybe it'll be an issue." Contingent.

I think the language is plenty clear enough. But hey, I guess that's making a bold sweeping statement without proof.

http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/for_accepted_students.html#Drugs

3 things...

1. If I could cue up sound clips like they do on radio shows, i would bring out the clip of andy from the office, after punching the wall...

2. Actually, I might owe you an apology - if in your original post you were implying 'Shreve' with the word 'they' and not 'all med schools' then i think you were well within the real of reason in saying so, my bad :oops:

3. If you did mean everyone, then i guess it is agree to disagree ;)

Yes, you should stop. I'm still looking for a pothead who I can get thrown out at my school.

Hi,

As long as you don't smoke that mj before your interviews, you should be fine ;)

Your brain cells, however, may be deteriorating... save them while you still can, you'll need them for medical school.

3 things...

It's cool man. It's just a forum :)

It did spark some thought though. What if you were in a medical marijuana state? You could make all kinds of arguments, each nearly as valid as the other.

- Prescription drug. Therefore, cannot disciminate against admission.
- Still illegal on the national sense, therefore, technically illegal.
- Then theres the liability of taking a student who's on ANY type of imparing substance, whether legal/illegal/prescription/whatever.
- Personal opinions of admissions committees could get in the way.
- etc. etc.

Personally, I'd just avoid the whole issue entirely. Getting into medical school is a distant dream for over 95% of all applicants, most of whom don't use altering substances, and who would gladly sell their soul to drop everything and get a fast-track matriculation 5 days before registration.

Maybe it's the 3 years I sat out, but I'm sure as hell not giving up my spot in the entering class for anything.