Pre-matriculant Hair Drug Test

Started by DrMono
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrMono

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am currently applying to medical school for this upcoming cycle and I have recently discontinued all drug use (cannabis and nicotine). I have likely a year until any sort of test would occur, but I am still a little paranoid about it. Hair drug tests can see far back and my roommate still smokes cannabis. In anyone's experience or the experience of people they know, have they ever had to submit to a hair drug test to matriculate into medical school? I will obviously not be doing any more drugs because this constant worry is not worth any high. Thanks in advance.
 
Welcome to the forums.

That is an issue where you should ask the current students. Drug testing through hair is not the norm as far as I know, but the schools should be disclosing what they are looking for in background checks. That said, some hospitals do test for evidence of prior tobacco use as a condition of employment or in offering benefits to help break nicotine addiction (nicotine-free campus).

Drug tests may be more common for pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary, or optometry programs since you will work with patients and regulated drugs sooner than medical students. But not as soon as orientation/matriculation. Each school may have a policy when it comes to prescriptive marijuana, so you would need to check there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad