You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Drugs for step 1
Started by MudPhud20XX
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Not having to pay tax (Amantadine)Unique side effect of the antiviral drug that is also used to treat Parkinson disease?
Q: Antibiotic which binds to surfactant?
I was going to go with livedo reticularis.Not having to pay tax (Amantadine)
Q: Antibiotic which binds to surfactant?
Daptomycin.
That is a side effect stated in Wikipedia but Goodman & Gilman as well as Harrison does not even mention it and FA says ataxia as a S/E.I was going to go with livedo reticularis.
Also, Livedo reticularis is a vascular phenomenon while Amantadine has CNS side effects.
Wonder if it is just an urban legend!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TNF-α inhibitorsTreatment for someone with chronic shortness of breath, a murmur that increases during hand grip, and an abnormal Schober test?
Name of the recombinant-hormone drug that is used to treat osteoporosis (intermittent dosing)?
Salmon calcitonin
Rx when HIV pt is intolerant to ganciclovir?
Salmon calcitonin
I'm not familiar with salmon calcitonin... The answer I was looking for was teriparatide (recombinant PTH).
Rx when HIV pt is intolerant to ganciclovir?
Foscarnet?
Treatment for lyme disease in a child?
I'm not familiar with salmon calcitonin... The answer I was looking for was teriparatide (recombinant PTH).
Foscarnet?
Treatment for lyme disease in a child?
Amox under 8 yo
Weight loss agent that works as an ATP uncoupler?
What resources are you using to study pharma? You guys are doing well answering all the questions.
My bad, I thought you were looking specifically for that answer hah. It's used as a spray to treat hypercalcemia or osteoporosis. I guess I'm overthinking it as usual.
I used Raymon and nothing else for my pharm prep.
What resources are you using to study pharma? You guys are doing well answering all the questions.
The usual suspects for me. Course notes, FA, Qbanks, Kaplan pharm lectures. Starting to flip through lange cards now too.
My bad, I thought you were looking specifically for that answer hah. It's used as a spray to treat hypercalcemia or osteoporosis. I guess I'm overthinking it as usual.
I used Raymon and nothing else for my pharm prep.
Is that salmon calcitonin thing in the Raymon Kaplan lectures?
Amox under 8 yo
Weight loss agent that works as an ATP uncoupler?
Dinitrophenol.
Antineoplastic that causes peripheral neuropathy and has a blackbox warning against intrathecal use?
Dinitrophenol.
Antineoplastic that causes peripheral neuropathy and has a blackbox warning against intrathecal use?
The usual suspects for me. Course notes, FA, Qbanks, Kaplan pharm lectures. Starting to flip through lange cards now too.
wow you got me, i'd like to say the vinca's since one of them causes peripheral neuropathy.
Is that salmon calcitonin thing in the Raymon Kaplan lectures?
yeah I think Raymon covers it.
drug acting on GABA B receptors 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dinitrophenol.
Antineoplastic that causes peripheral neuropathy and has a blackbox warning against intrathecal use?
Vincristine?
yeah I think Raymon covers it.
drug acting on GABA B receptors 🙂
Damn, I better go watch it again then..
Baclofen.
Vincristine?
Yup!
Will be back with a question.
treatment of hypertension in pregnant women has liver disease
A drug you are administering for chemotherapy produces acrolein as a toxic byproduct after being metabolized by the liver. You know that this drug also produces phosphoramide mustard which is the active metabolite that works against tumor cells. What is the name of the major side effect produced by this drug? What is the drug?
A drug you are administering for chemotherapy produces acrolein as a toxic byproduct after being metabolized by the liver. You know that this drug also produces phosphoramide mustard which is the active metabolite that works against tumor cells. What is the name of the major side effect produced by this drug? What is the drug?
Cyclophosphamide, hemorraghic cystitis
The usual suspects for me. Course notes, FA, Qbanks, Kaplan pharm lectures. Starting to flip through lange cards now too.
Is that salmon calcitonin thing in the Raymon Kaplan lectures?
Sorry I just edited this because I remembered - Raymon from Kaplan Pharm lectures doesn't cover Calcitonin, but it was covered in the Calcium chapter in Kaplan Physio.
Last edited:
Amox under 8 yo
Weight loss agent that works as an ATP uncoupler?
I think DNP.. dinitrophenol?
Cyclophosphamide, hemorraghic cystitis
Yes, that's correct!
hydralazine?treatment of hypertension in pregnant women has liver disease
yes, you are right.you have to avoid methyldopa in this case. you can also use labetolol or nifedipine.hydralazine?
hydralazine may increase risk of (sle) like procainamide, quinidine, acebutolol, penicillamine, isoniazid, and chlorpromazine
Indinavir? I haven't dispensed it for ages.Atropine/pralidoxime
Protease inhibitor that causes kidney stones?
Prazosin is almost never used for BPH. It's used for PTSD coz it helps with nightmares. The alpha-blockers that are commonly used for BPH are tamsulosin, alfuzosin, silodosin, terazosin, and doxazosin.prazosin
Pilocarpine isn't an antimuscarinic agent. If it were, it wouldn't be used for someone with Sjogren's syndrome (brand name for tablet is Salagen). If it were an antimuscarinic, it would dilate the pupils and worsen closed angle glaucoma. It's a muscarinic agent. Hope that helps.Timolol -beta agonist
Pilocarpine - anti muscarinic
Will be back to ask questions.
We can also use metformin, right?1. Palivizumab
2. Protease inhibitors (-navir) except atazanavir
3. Clomiphene
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We also have the expensive HCV drugs now - Boceprevir, simeprevir, Sofosbuvir, and telaprevir (off the market). The newest PO combo for HCV is ledipasvir+sofosbuvir (Harvoni).You were right on 2, that's what I was asking. I guess I should have said "pair" instead of "combo."
The old generation antiepileptics should be avoided. They cause birth defects. Levetiracetam?Phenobarb?
HIT?What are (at least) two reasons why heparin is not used for long term anticoagulation?
Ifosfamide?A drug you are administering for chemotherapy produces acrolein as a toxic byproduct after being metabolized by the liver. You know that this drug also produces phosphoramide mustard which is the active metabolite that works against tumor cells. What is the name of the major side effect produced by this drug? What is the drug?
And we use Mesna to bind to acrolein.Cyclophosphamide, hemorraghic cystitis
I'm not familiar with salmon calcitonin... The answer I was looking for was teriparatide (recombinant PTH).
Miacalcin isn't very efficacious, so it's not 1st line therapy. First lines are bisphosphonates and denosumab.
My bad, I said HIT just now. I think it's osteoporosis and it'll screw up someone potassium level. I think. HA!What are (at least) two reasons why heparin is not used for long term anticoagulation?
And we use Mesna to bind to acrolein.
yep!
(1) You place a patient that has Hodgkins lymphoma on a chemotherapy regimen consisting of 4 drugs which do NOT have overlapping side effects. One of these drugs causes the patient to have accelerated heart rate and wheezing. Which drug is it? What are the 4 drugs administered?
(2) Later in the clinic you see a patient with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and treat them, again, with a 4 drug chemotherapy regimen. This patient has serious nausea and vomiting before entering the 2nd treatment. Which drug class would be used to treat this condition if it were due to anticipatory emesis? If the patient had high emetic risk following chemotherapy, what would you use to treat it? (Hint: 3 drugs)
yep!
(1) You place a patient that has Hodgkins lymphoma on a chemotherapy regimen consisting of 4 drugs which do NOT have overlapping side effects. One of these drugs causes the patient to have accelerated heart rate and wheezing. Which drug is it? What are the 4 drugs administered?
(2) Later in the clinic you see a patient with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and treat them, again, with a 4 drug chemotherapy regimen. This patient has serious nausea and vomiting before entering the 2nd treatment. Which drug class would be used to treat this condition if it were due to anticipatory emesis? If the patient had high emetic risk following chemotherapy, what would you use to treat it? (Hint: 3 drugs)
I don't know much about cancer, but I do know that when a drug is highly emetogenic (i.e., cisplatin), you use ondansetron (or any 5HT3 antagonists), aprepitant, and dexamethasone. Anticipatory emesis, you use a benzo, and lorazepam is most commonly used.
I think they came out or are coming out with a new combo of NK1 antagonist and 5HT3 antagonist. I forgot what the brand name is. 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yep!
(1) You place a patient that has Hodgkins lymphoma on a chemotherapy regimen consisting of 4 drugs which do NOT have overlapping side effects. One of these drugs causes the patient to have accelerated heart rate and wheezing. Which drug is it? What are the 4 drugs administered?
(2) Later in the clinic you see a patient with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and treat them, again, with a 4 drug chemotherapy regimen. This patient has serious nausea and vomiting before entering the 2nd treatment. Which drug class would be used to treat this condition if it were due to anticipatory emesis? If the patient had high emetic risk following chemotherapy, what would you use to treat it? (Hint: 3 drugs)
Found it! It's called Akynzeo (netupitant and palonosetron) and it's indicated for the prevention of acute and delayed NV. 1 cap (300 mg netupitant/0.5 mg palonosetron) 1 hour prior to the start of chemo. That's it. It's a one dose deal, I guess.
If you infuse vanco too fast, you can cause what syndrome?
Chloramphenicol can cause what syndrome?
Which are the 2 second generation cephalosporins that cover anaerobes?
Which one from 3rd generation cephalosporins that covers pseudo? How about the one from 4th generation that covers pseudo?
Chloramphenicol can cause what syndrome?
Which are the 2 second generation cephalosporins that cover anaerobes?
Which one from 3rd generation cephalosporins that covers pseudo? How about the one from 4th generation that covers pseudo?
Desmopressin.Which agent is used for bedwetting and can also be used to promote the release of vWF?
...Ranolazine?Which agent for angina that doesn't affect the contractility of the heart or the heart rate?
Desmopressin.
...Ranolazine?
Ding! Ding! Ding! What's the MOA for ranolazine?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 861
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 322