drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violet786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When learning the names of drugs as a P1 are we required to know the full generic name? For ex. in the drug lexapro do we need to know Escitalopram Oxalate or just Escitalopram?

Members don't see this ad.

When learning the names of drugs as a P1 are we required to know the full generic name? For ex. in the drug lexapro do we need to know Escitalopram Oxalate or just Escitalopram?

In most cases you'll just have to know Escitalopram (and how it's different from celexa, citalopram). It's possible though, that you might get a hard-ass professor that wants to know if something is in a salt form, etc.

There are some drugs that have several forms, like doxycycline - it can be monohydrate or hyclate. You'll probably have to know the difference between those. I would imagine, however, that your professors will tell you what you need to know.

During my P1 year, we had tests over just the top 50 or so - and we had to know the drug's name, its class, major indications, major pharmacological actions (as in competitive H-1 antagonist), which P450 enzymes it was metabolized by, and several other things. It sounds like a lot, but when you group the drugs by class and make good flashcards, it isn't too bad.

Good luck!:luck:

Like Moxxie said...

Most salt forms you don't need to know. But there are drugs with different salts with different half lives. Those you'll need to know... solu medrol and depo medrol. I'll let you look that up yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if you'll have a multiple choice quiz or fill in the blank. If the quizzes are multiple choice, then you probably won't have to worry about the salt name. You could just identify the correct drug without having to know the salt. UNLESS, like Moxxie said, your professor is super hard.

Like Moxxie said...

Most salt forms you don't need to know. But there are drugs with different salts with different half lives. Those you'll need to know... solu medrol and depo medrol. I'll let you look that up yourself.

Metoprolol tartrate and metoprolol succinate......BOOYAH

Like Moxxie said...

Oh god, I once got a call from a nurse asking "Are SoluMedrol and SoluCortef the same thing?"

Teaches one a lot about being as emphatic as possible without yelling. Though I'm still grateful that over the phone, you can't see someone's jaw drop. Or their head hit the desk.

hahaha...in my pcol class it seemed like we were studying things 10 years behind...just a scant mention of celexa/lexapro. of course, had to know everything about the old school antidepressants...

wait aren't you going to MCP? don't they have pcol in their P2 year?

anyways yeah, you generally don't need to know most like, hydralazine hcl. but some stuff (mostly stuff that has longer/shorter duration of action) like metoprolol vs toprol xl, or isosorbide mononitrate vs dinitrate, haloperidol vs haloperidol decanoate...that should be your main emphasis.

yup i will be going to mcphs. In our 1st yr i heard that we have IPEP lab which is where we learn the top 200 drugs so thats why i was asking

Not normally, but try to know the salt form of IV drugs which will tell you if they are an acid or a base for IV compatibility.

We have to learn both. It is actually to your benefit to know both.

The reasoning was that NAPLEX now will ask about a drug either as its brand or generic. I haven't taken it yet so I am not sure...maybe someone who took it more recently can confirm.

Violet,

Dont stress yourself over the drugs for IPEP. IPEP is a 1 credit course and first semester, the drug portion was maybe 10% of the grade for that one credit. It might have been even less. If you want I can dig up the template for you of what they ask. If you know brand name/generic/what it is for, you dont need much else during your P1 year at MCPHS as far as drugs go. I think most people will agree that Patho was the most painful course.