DS1 - ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarKade

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Pre-Dents! I'm currently a D1 with some extra time on my hands. Ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OK, how many prior service military students are in your class with you? I was told by an admissions coordinator that they get lots of military applicants. I found this curious because as a percent of the general population those that have served is like around 2%. If you do have ex military in your class do you know what their stats are like? I know another captain that is applying to dental school who got like a 17 on his DAT and seemed to think being a combat pilot was going to level the playing field. I remain doubtful that my service alone is going to have much of an impact of an admissions committee, so would like to get feedback on that.

We have several students who are returning to school after enjoying other careers. To my knowledge, however, none from the military.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is dental school what you expected so far?
Not exactly! The material is much less difficult than what I had in undergrad but we are in class 8-5 day in and day out, so we are always busy. You have to keep up because there are very few opportunities to make up for lost time. I would say that as a pre-dent, it is important to gain experience with heavy course loads and extracurriculars. Otherwise, dental school may be a big adjustment.

Reactions: 2 users
OK, how many prior service military students are in your class with you? I was told by an admissions coordinator that they get lots of military applicants. I found this curious because as a percent of the general population those that have served is like around 2%. If you do have ex military in your class do you know what their stats are like? I know another captain that is applying to dental school who got like a 17 on his DAT and seemed to think being a combat pilot was going to level the playing field. I remain doubtful that my service alone is going to have much of an impact of an admissions committee, so would like to get feedback on that.
To address your question further: I would be surprised if a prior career in the military provided an overt advantage in admissions. I definitely do think that it is possible to be admitted with a 17aa DAT (although I personally do not know if anyone in my class has a score below an 18), but there would likely have to be other factors playing into that applicant's draw to the admissions' committee. I think the national average for admitted DAT is hovering around a 19-20, so I would shoot for a score in that range. Otherwise, I think very solid ECs and some upper level biology courses with As could easily compensate. You application is considered holistically, not just the score, but a solid score gets your foot in the door. Hope this helps!

What did you study in undergrad that was harder than dental school?!

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't have a very traditional undergraduate experience. I worked about 30 hours per week on average while taking course loads of up to 19 credits (upper level biology mostly / sometimes only biology) + some research. Those semesters were FAR more intense than what I'm doing now in dental school. If you want to feel over-prepared for DS, I guess I'd recommend doing what I did! But it's definitely not necessary.

Why do you continue to associate yourself with this website after enrolling and attending a dental school, let alone being accepted to one?

Honest question.

Why do you continue to associate yourself with this website after enrolling and attending a dental school, let alone being accepted to one?

Honest question.
I actually didn't even use this site before I was accepted to dental school! I am interested in what others have to say about their residency programs and I've used SDN for that purpose. While I'm on here, I figured I may be able to help out some pre-dents also!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually didn't even use this site before I was accepted to dental school! I am interested in what others have to say about their residency programs and I've used SDN for that purpose. While I'm on here, I figured I may be able to help out some pre-dents also!
You should change the title of this thread to "DS1- Ask Me Most Things". :)

Reactions: 5 users
It helps.
For someone who is full-time in the military and has children, you are not expected to have the same grades as a student who can dedicate themselves full-time to coursework, DAT, volunteering, shadowing, etc. That doesn't mean there are no standards at all, but the academic expectations are managed because you have simultaneous obligations. It also demonstrates discipline and can show dedication. Holistic admissions is real at many schools.
As far as the pilot who is applying with a 17, I doubt that will get them very far. That's a bit on the lower end (but it's not unheard of). I have also heard (anecdotally) of military applicants being rejected due to arrogance. This doesn't surprise me because I have encountered some real characters across the services.

If you have more military-specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
I have also heard (anecdotally) of military applicants being rejected due to arrogance. This doesn't surprise me because I have encountered some real characters across the services.

My dad is a retired Vietnam-era combat pilot so I have a good sense of the personality type that would probably create an obstacle to admission. This captain was much more sedate, was a pretty nice guy really, just seemed very optimistic about getting into a program. I have a tendency to be a pessimist and plan for the worst case scenario, so I have to be conscious about how I evaluate these sorts of situations. Will definitely PM you once I get this pesky DAT thing completed (I have a colicky newborn that is making this kinda hard...)

It helps.
For someone who is full-time in the military and has children, you are not expected to have the same grades as a student who can dedicate themselves full-time to coursework, DAT, volunteering, shadowing, etc. That doesn't mean there are no standards at all, but the academic expectations are managed because you have simultaneous obligations. It also demonstrates discipline and can show dedication. Holistic admissions is real at many schools.
As far as the pilot who is applying with a 17, I doubt that will get them very far. That's a bit on the lower end (but it's not unheard of). I have also heard (anecdotally) of military applicants being rejected due to arrogance. This doesn't surprise me because I have encountered some real characters across the services.

If you have more military-specific questions, feel free to PM me.

So if you had to spitball, how many prior-service/veteran dental students would you guess were out there? I've interviewed at 3 dental schools so far and I've asked each one how many non-HPSP military/veteran students they currently have enrolled. So far I've found 4 such students out of a possible 980, which just seems really small to me; unless of course, they're all opting to stay in and just taking the HPSP.

In regards to the pilot, where do you think that misinformation comes from regarding the application process? I've heard enough service members say, "All I have to do is check the boxes and let my military resume do the rest" that it can't just be coincidence.

My undergrad exams were significantly harder than my exams in dental school. The exams we’ve been doing in dental school feel like a breath of fresh air

Reactions: 4 users
My undergrad exams were significantly harder than my exams in dental school. The exams we’ve been doing in dental school feel like a breath of fresh air
so this is why I see all the dental students at every rave on Facebook

During an interview, what would be some good questions to ask the admissions committee?

So if you had to spitball, how many prior-service/veteran dental students would you guess were out there? I've interviewed at 3 dental schools so far and I've asked each one how many non-HPSP military/veteran students they currently have enrolled. So far I've found 4 such students out of a possible 980, which just seems really small to me; unless of course, they're all opting to stay in and just taking the HPSP.

In regards to the pilot, where do you think that misinformation comes from regarding the application process? I've heard enough service members say, "All I have to do is check the boxes and let my military resume do the rest" that it can't just be coincidence.
I'm sorry I couldn't say, not even a spitball. I honestly don't know.
Having 3 pre-december interviews so far is a great sign, congrats. I'm not sure where that misinformation comes from either. But just checking boxes is not enough because I do know of vets who were not accepted. It makes an application stronger, but it's not a golden ticket.

But either way, you're in a good spot so far. Keep up the good work and I hope you hear some good news in a few weeks.

Honest question.
If only predents were found on SDN, it would be the blind leading the blind. Some people have been helped getting to where they’re at and are just paying it forward. You’re welcome for all of the profound wisdom I’ve imparted on these forums.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 13 users

I know that my plan is to stay in and practice as a dentist in the Army assuming that I get accepted. The two other officers that I have met that are in the process of applying are also planning to go that route, so I would say that it's possible that it's a very small number based on what you have been told.

As far as the military resume being a leg up I know at least two other officers that have gotten into prestigious programs at ivy league schools through their military resume and help from the veteran alumni chapter on campus. It actually was pretty skull and bones. In their case it really was a golden ticket, but the difference is that data science and business don't directly affect patient health. With an MBA program if you have someone that isn't a viable candidate they will get warehoused somewhere out of the way where they can't run any major projects into the ground. With dentistry it's a different story. There is a standard for a reason.

Did you go to a top 25 undergrad? Been trying to increase my credits past 20 to try and get accustomed to a heavy load early since I go to my state school, but unsure how much I should adjust everything to try and make the gap a bit smaller...

Did you go to a top 25 undergrad? Been trying to increase my credits past 20 to try and get accustomed to a heavy load early since I go to my state school, but unsure how much I should adjust everything to try and make the gap a bit smaller...
There’s nothing wrong with pushing yourself, but don’t take on so much that your GPA suffers.

Big Hoss

During an interview, what would be some good questions to ask the admissions committee?
I asked about research opportunities, program strengths, exchange / mission trips, clinical training ... ask about your interests!

I went to my State school for undergrad and it was more than enough prep for dental school. I have to second what Big Hoss said about GPA. I took extra classes because I just really wanted to take those classes. I'm also a non-trad as I went to grad school before I applied to dental school. So I had other interests and eventually chose dental school. Don't stress yourself out with 20+ hours if you're just doing it to prepare for dental school; it's really not that bad.

Thank you for taking the time

1. Anyone in your class who got in without a B.S ?

2. Back pain?

Thank you for taking the time

1. Anyone in your class who got in without a B.S ?

2. Back pain?
We have people with B.A.s but no one without a Bachelor's. I think about 7 people also have a Master's and one has a PhD.

Back pain hasn't started at all yet, but this is our first semester. The curriculum includes instruction on posture / ergonomics so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I know that my plan is to stay in and practice as a dentist in the Army assuming that I get accepted. The two other officers that I have met that are in the process of applying are also planning to go that route, so I would say that it's possible that it's a very small number based on what you have been told.

Nice! Did you apply this cycle too? When I left active duty and told my CoC what I was doing, they all thought I was crazy. Nice to know there are others out there.

As far as the military resume being a leg up I know at least two other officers that have gotten into prestigious programs at ivy league schools through their military resume and help from the veteran alumni chapter on campus.

That's an interesting thought and maybe that's the source of misinformation? Perhaps they think, "If MBA/Master's programs will make exceptions for service members, then why wouldn't dental schools?" Anyways, not a big deal, just something I was curious about.

Hi! I was wondering if I could get some guidance about dental school! As you may have realized, it is December 1st! Many of us are hearing back from dental schools, but unfortunately, I am not one of them. I applied to six OOS schools (VCU, Harvard (reach school), USC, Colorado, Maryland, and New York). I am from Texas, so I applied to all of their offered programs as well. All applications were completed by early October, with my higher preferences (Colorado) completed in August. So far, I have recieved a single interview from UT Health SA. I interviewed back in early October. I thought I was a competitive applicant...22AA/22TS DAT, 3.5 GPA, shadowing hours at multiple clinics, varsity athlete all throughout undergrad, many community service hours, but I haven't heard anything. I am concerned that maybe I should think about options for next year if I don't get in. Would you suggest that I get my dental assisting certificate and work during the off year? Or is there some other program I should do? I have looked into post bacc programs, but they all offer classes I have already taken, and also have an emphasis on DAT prep. I don't really think I need to retake the DAT, but I also at this point have no idea why I haven't heard anything from any schools besides one. I know my application was submitted a bit later, but I didn't think it was THAT late. Maybe I am wrong. Any advice?

Hi! Admissions seem like a big mystery to most of us students and there is no way to say for sure what may be the key to getting that offer. From what you've told me, it isn't the DAT score that may be getting in your way. It would be much easier to provide suggestions if I had more specifics about your GPA, such as: what was your major? how many upper level biology courses did you take? basic science GPA?

If your BCP GPA is low, I would suggest an M.S. degree or post-bacc (M.S. preferred). Professional schools love M.S. students and they tend to do very well. I earned an M.S. before applying, and it was one of the best decision I ever made! Dental experience is important but I did not have a huge sum when I applied although I was accepted. So, I'm not inclined to recommend just working in a dental office during your off year. However, I think this is a valid option, *especially* if you can take some upper level biology courses individually while you do that. I know several people who took individual grad-level courses (open to students outside of grad programs) and were accepted the next year.

Your app was submitted right around the same time as mine, so I'd rank the submission date fairly low on the priority list. That being said, I would apply as early as possible next year if you do have to apply - if nothing else, it makes you look super on top of things and dental schools are filled with type A, "I read the whole dental anatomy textbook over summer before D1 year" personalities! No offense intended! I am one of those to a certain extent.

Some other considerations which could be crucial: who proof-read your personal statement - anyone on an admissions committee / dentists? what did you say in your statement? were you able to convey your passion and commitment to dentistry? how do you stand out and were you able to highlight that in your statement? Who wrote your LORs and are you certain they offered a strong recommendation that could help you stand out in a host of applicants?

It isn't just numbers that get you in. Most schools, I think, will also judge factors such as: 1) how heavy your course loads were, 2) how many upper level science courses you took, 3) evident resilience and commitment, 4) anything that makes you unique!

My #1 piece of advice is to contact the admissions offices of the schools to which you applied and ask for feedback. They can likely provide you with specific areas that could be improved upon in your app.

I'm wrapping up my first semester in dental school now, and despite coming into dental school with 50+ hours of upper level basic sciences, I am kept very busy. Of course, I have ECs, including a Master's that I'm also working on, but I was legitimately surprised by the amount of effort and dedication that DS requires and that is exhibited by every one of my classmates. So, I think something in your app that clearly displays your tenacity is important.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have further questions

I am currently junior and planning to take my DAT in Aug 2019 ( after completing my junior ) and get admissions in dental school fall of 2020. The application form submission for Fall of 2020 starts on June 2019. Since I am taking DAT on Aug 2019, will I fill the application form in June 2019 and write that I will be taking DAT on Aug 2019 or I will fill the application form after I take the DAT in Aug 2019. Please advise.
I would complete the app in June and list the date you'll take the DAT in August. Your scores will be electronically delivered to the schools of your choice after you take the exam, so I don't see a point in waiting. That being said, I took my DAT in August and applied in August and had no problem. So, you may be okay either way.