Dual application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in applying to MD/PhD programs, however am nervous about the increased competition in this field, therefore would like to also apply to MD programs at the same schools. Is this possible? Does it look bad to be applying to both at the same school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on the school. A lot of schools will automatically consider you for MD if you're not accepted MD/PhD, other schools might ask you if you want to be considered MD after they reject you. I don't think you should apply MD-only at some schools and MD/PhD at others, though, as a lot of interviewers will ask about this and I think it makes you look like you don't know what you want... or you could lie.

Would you consider doing MD-only if you were accepted somewhere for a (funded) MD/PhD?

I applied to 8 schools. 7 MSTPs and 1 MD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think schools can only see the institutions you apply to and not the programs (MD or MSTP). Some schools consider MSTP and MD separately if you're rejected from the former while other schools may not. Do the research on the schools and apply realistically i.e. apply to MSTPs you are competitive for and MD for institutions where you are less competitive for. If you're passionate about the Ph.D, I'm sure you can get it after the MD although there's an issue of money.

Like you, I was worried about the competition too, so I applied 70% MD/PhD and 30% MD. I didn't apply to MD because I would be happy by-passing MD/PhD, I applied MD in case I didn't get into an MD/PhD program----and hoping after getting into an MD program I could apply to the MD/PhD program after my first year of medical school.

I actually got more interviews from MD/PhD programs than MD and got accepted into more MD/PhD programs than MD ones.

Other schools will not be able to see which programs you applied MD or MD/PhD until after you're accepted into a program. And I wasn't asked about applying MD at all. I was only asked about which and how many other schools I applied to.

So don't worry about it. Applying both MD/PhD and MD is a good idea if you are unsure about the competition. I would just have more faith in yourself. If you have a SOLID research background, good grades and a decent MCAT (at least in the low 30s) you'll be fine! Just prepare for the interviews and know your research inside out.