Dual applying residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsazeema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am interested in 2 specialties... my main goal is just to get back to my home state so between the 2 specialties I would genuinely be happy doing either. When asking for letters of rec, do I mention that I am dual applying? I don't want it to seem as if one is a back up over the other. Also does your home program see where you apply? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should say you’re dual applying. Nothing could sink your app faster than a LOR saying you’re great for x specialty when you’re applying y specialty.

No program can see where you’ve applied and it’s a violation for them to even ask.

Keep the letters and personal statement as separate as possible, but tell your letter writers what your plans are, especially in the backup specialty. If one is way more competitive than the other, don't tell all your letter writers in the competitive one that you're dual-applying, but discuss it with your mentor(s).

No program will see where else you applied, but if you apply to two different specialties at the same institution, and especially if you interview with both programs, word might get around. And yes, technically they're not allowed to ask, but in many competitive specialties the rules of the match are flouted more often than not. You should expect to be asked about where else you've applied and interviewed, whether you're dual-applying, what you would do if you don't match, etc. at every interview. It's up to you how to respond, but if you want to match, you should answer truthfully and/or tactfully.