Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've already found a similar post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-687112.html) but it doesn't exactly address what I'm looking for and it's currently found in the archives. But before you hit the back button, hear me out.
I'm currently a high school senior in the IB program at my school (I really don't think this matters, but oh well). I have dual citizenship for Canada and the US. I get decent grades (3.84 UW, 4.48 W - top 7.5% of my class of 586, but I only did fairly average on my ACT and SAT with a 34 and 2130, respectively), do a relatively adequate amount of community service (I have recitals at a nearby retirement home on occasion, work at the information desk of a hospital every other weekend, and teach English to special-needs orphans in Vietnam over the summer), and have dabbled in a bit of research (diabetes lab at UCSD SOM last summer, breast cancer lab at Mayo currently). I currently intend on pursuing a MD/PhD program when I go to apply my senior year of undergrad, but my future, like everybody elses, is subject to variability.
With this in mind, would it be to my advantage to return to Canada for undergrad and attend University of Toronto (w/ a major in immunology)? Would my application to MD or MSTP programs be viewed any differently in comparison to my US-educated peers (in other words, would I have less of a chance of getting in)?
Or would I be better off staying in-state (ASU Barrett Honors College, UA Honors)?
Another option I could explore is going to California or Washington for undergrad (accepted at UCLA, UW and UCSD Honors, waiting on UC Berkeley and Stanford doubt Ill get in), but Im not too keen on having my parents dish out so much money for my undergraduate education.
Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I'm currently a high school senior in the IB program at my school (I really don't think this matters, but oh well). I have dual citizenship for Canada and the US. I get decent grades (3.84 UW, 4.48 W - top 7.5% of my class of 586, but I only did fairly average on my ACT and SAT with a 34 and 2130, respectively), do a relatively adequate amount of community service (I have recitals at a nearby retirement home on occasion, work at the information desk of a hospital every other weekend, and teach English to special-needs orphans in Vietnam over the summer), and have dabbled in a bit of research (diabetes lab at UCSD SOM last summer, breast cancer lab at Mayo currently). I currently intend on pursuing a MD/PhD program when I go to apply my senior year of undergrad, but my future, like everybody elses, is subject to variability.
With this in mind, would it be to my advantage to return to Canada for undergrad and attend University of Toronto (w/ a major in immunology)? Would my application to MD or MSTP programs be viewed any differently in comparison to my US-educated peers (in other words, would I have less of a chance of getting in)?
Or would I be better off staying in-state (ASU Barrett Honors College, UA Honors)?
Another option I could explore is going to California or Washington for undergrad (accepted at UCLA, UW and UCSD Honors, waiting on UC Berkeley and Stanford doubt Ill get in), but Im not too keen on having my parents dish out so much money for my undergraduate education.
Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.