dual degree dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moooooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all. i have somewhat of a unique situation (at least I think so). it involves DDS/PhD program, but really my question has nothing to do with dentistry.

the problem with dual degree programs in dentistry is that even the funded ones aren't fully funded by NIH. about 60% tuition is covered during dental school, however some schools opt to cover the rest out of their own pocket. not many ppl are interested in doing it so there's not much incentive for schools to cover the rest I guess...

my dilemma is that the school he is located at is one of the schools that does not waive the full tuition (i would pay ~40% via loans).

is the potential to graduate in less time working in a lab that i know has tremendous support worth taking out some loans, or am i a fool for spending money on an education that i could get for free at another institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A couple things you might want to consider:

How much time could you shave off your time to the PhD by doing it in your current lab? If you could do it in 2 years vs 4-5 somewhere else, I'd say that would be worth $100-150k in loans.

I know you say it is a new model and you are the only one in the lab with the skills to do the work, but how likely is the project to still be around after you have been in dental school for two years? My main concern would be some other lab scooping you on your discovery.

You need to sit down with your PI and have a serious discussion about the issues involved before making a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much money are we talking about borrowing here, and how much more work would you have to do to finish your PhD?

i just calculated, and it seems like less than 80k (fees are different for each year, plus it is likely to increase a bit). obviously if that project were to be my thesis, i'd have to do some molecular work to back it up. while i cant say how long it will take me to finish (who can?) it seems like it would shave at least a year or two off of the time-to-PhD.

@K31: it's always a possibility that some other lab could scoop the work...that's a problem every project has! but could that be mitigated by publishing the model first and following up with the in vitro studies to back it up?

&& i'm meeting with the PI later in the week, i just wanted to ask some people who have experience and are unbiased (after all, the PI will benefit more if i stay than if i go)

thanks for the responses =)

also, while i have your ear...is it possible for someone who had T32 support as a graduate student to apply for NIH's loan repayment program?

if i could do that then i suppose the debt wouldn't really be an issue..

This is a very personal decision. I think you really just have to ask yourself whether the PhD is worth the effort for your career goal. Just because you might shave a year or two off doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing for you. Just because you might still owe 80k on your dental debt doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong to get a PhD. You might still be eligible for loan repayment programs if you do decide on a majority research career.

As for the specifics of your funding questions, the answers should be clear from the announcements with the T32 and LRP documentation. You could always ask the grants manager for your T32 institute.

Have you thought about applying to DDS/PhD at UMich? They cover tuition 100% and their research labs are pretty interesting. I think your research findings will still benefit you (ie getting 1st/2nd authorship) and you'll be a shoe-in at DDS/PhD programs nationwide. Also, I think in terms of choosing labs, it wouldn't be fair for other PIs that you rotate through because they know that you won't be staying in their lab. However, depending on the institution, you may be allowed to skip the lab rotations and just focus on your publication focus since it's nearly done from what I understand. Making mouse lines are tough. Even the PhDs in my lab tell me to stay away at all costs.

dear all,

thank you so much for taking your time out to provide me with some answers. my decision will most likely hinge on whether i am eligible to participate in NIH's LRP during my post-doctoral studies which i will ask the program director if my PI doesnt know.

@neuronix: the phd is definitely worth the effort for my career goal, since my career goal is to be an academic dentist! i was just wondering if taking on some debt would be worth a shorter 'to-PhD' degree.

@a2ndragoon: most of the schools i've contacted actually cover 100% tuition. it appears that my current institution is the exception to the rule, sadly. i will apply to umich and the other schools that offer the subsidized combined degree.

that's good. some of the dds/phd programs did not get their grant funding renewed to maintain their dds/phds and the seats are very, very limited. (i won't mention who). Let's just say that my friend decided to choose a school over UM and was told at the other school that they did not renew their grant funding to maintain their dds/phd students. Even then, the dds/phd was not 100% covered, more like 60%.

It sucks to be the one and only. Most of my friends are doing their dds all over the place. I can't wait for these years to fly by. Hopefully the lab I join will have awesome people in it. I love research because of science, but i can't be in a lab that doesn't have cool people.