Dual-enrollment questions

Fai

One who wants to be many
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a few questions on dual-enrolling.

I've read some previous threads about dual-enrollment that it's indeed better and maybe even easier than AP and that if I mess up during dual-enrollment it'll hurt my college GPA but I feel like I needed to get a few questions straightened out with more detail.

1. I'm planning to dual-enroll at my community college (NCC) and may even consider to get some pre-reqs out of the way. However, I heard that Med school absolutely despises CC credits and might hurt my chances at applying. Is this true? and should I take the pre-reqs or just take some bull courses for college credits then do the pre-reqs in college?

2. Transferability: If I happend to attend a university that wouldn't transfer the CC credits and some were pre-req courses, would I have to re-take the pre-reqs and will the GPA pass over?

Thanks in advance! Tomorrow school starts for me and I'll have to speak with my gudiance counciler to get more details about dual-enrolling and see which colleges would allow transfers of CC credits.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read some previous threads about dual-enrollment that it's indeed better and maybe even easier than AP and that if I mess up during dual-enrollment it'll hurt my college GPA but I feel like I needed to get a few questions straightened out with more detail.

1. I'm planning to dual-enroll at my community college (NCC) and may even consider to get some pre-reqs out of the way. However, I heard that Med school absolutely despises CC credits and might hurt my chances at applying. Is this true? and should I take the pre-reqs or just take some bull courses for college credits then do the pre-reqs in college?

2. Transferability: If I happend to attend a university that wouldn't transfer the CC credits and some were pre-req courses, would I have to re-take the pre-reqs and will the GPA pass over?

Thanks in advance! Tomorrow school starts for me and I'll have to speak with my gudiance counciler to get more details about dual-enrolling and see which colleges would allow transfers of CC credits.

The answer to both your questions can be summed up by the idea that policies differ by med school and by college.

However, for 1, I would look into some of the colleges you are considering. What are some of the courses that you *have* to take before you can graduate? I would do the dual enrollment for the courses that you are required to take for college but not for med school. Just make sure that the courses will transfer to that college, and you have #2 covered (except maybe for english courses, which are required by most med schools...still, if you can get extraneous hours out of the way it's worth it)

I did a dual enrollment program in Washington State, attended a CC for 2 years, then transferred to a university in Louisiana ... all my credits except for some stupid classes like first aid and safety/PE transferred over without a problem. Usually the CC will have some sort of transfer program with the state schools, or the other schools in your state so that transferring credits from a CC will be easy.

As for the pre-reqs taken at a CC vs university... I don't think taking some of the pre-reqs there are frowned upon, just make sure you do well - thats all that matters. Now with that said, don't go take ALL the pre-reqs at a CC, they will probably want to see you can handle the caliber of a "real" university.

As for the difficulty of AP vs dual enrollment... I didn't do any AP classes, but for the most part, the CC classes are just as difficult as the university classes (and I now go to a tier 1 university), but you can usually get more help/1 on 1 instruction at the CC.

I did dual enrollment for a good chunk of my education. Most universities will allow you to transfer the credits, and medical schools don't care if you do your pre-recs there, provided you take upper division courses at your 4-year university. It's a great way to graduate early or have the time to pursue a double or triple major when you get to your university :)