D

deleted1044921

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a Junior in High School. I am dual enrolling at the local community college for the majority of my classes including Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology, and Math classes. I plan on graduating with my associates in science, in the spring of 2021, which should allow me to enroll in a 4-year university as a junior. This limits the amount of time I will have for clinical experience, volunteering time, and especially MCAT prep.

I would like to know how would you recommend me going forward? Should I reduce my course load and spend additional time attempting to Volunteer in a Clinical setting? How many hours and different experiences should I attempt to have before I apply to a med school? I have the option to take an additional semester if necessary.

I also have heard a lot about extracurriculars, what kinds of extracurriculars should I look into?

Is it smart to ask for a recommendation letter from one of my science teachers right now? I believe he will write a great letter, but it will be a while before I actually get to use it. I have heard people wait until they are applying to med school, but I am concerned he will not remember specific details about me.

Also, do you guys have any recommendations to start studying the content on the MCAT? I have not covered a lot of the coursework that is covered on the test, so any resource that will help me build up the knowledge ground up is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have not covered the coursework, don't start studying for the MCAT (at most limit studying to what you have covered).

A gap year would likely be necessary in your case. Very few 20 year old (assumption, based on started university at 18 and graduating in 2 years) are ready for medical school and typically do not perform as well during interviews. You can also limit your courseload and take an extra year with courses to build volunteer hours(clinical and non-clinical)/research/leadership/all the things to make you more competitive.

Extracurriculars should be meaningful to you. Volunteering, leadership, sports, research, clubs, etc.... You can use up to 15 activities on the application and should easily be able to fill 100 and speak meaningfully to them. Since you are young, you can also take a year or two and do extraordinary things like peace corps, etc...

Letters of recommendation should be dated within a year of application for the most effect. They will also likely want a LOR from science courses taking at a 4-year school that you attend. Build relationships early and let them know you are looking to apply to med school and will need a LOR later down the road. They can always draft one now and change the date come application time. Keep in touch with them to ensure they remember you.

It's 3 AM and my brain is probably not functioning the best right now, so this may just be random gibberish. Hopefully, it makes some sense/logic behind it. As always, there are probably people that have gone this route that can provide more information,

I actually did something similar to this! I was dual enrolled in high school and graduated with my associates. I got accepted to a 4 year university and received a scholarship. I had the option to graduate early, or add another major and stay the full 4 years. Since I was already a year younger than my peers, I didn't want to apply to medical school too young, and since I had the scholarship, I figured why not stay the full 4 years and enjoy myself!

I have also heard that it's better to have LORs from 4 year professors than community college. I waited until it was application time to ask for my letters. I did well in my classes and generally didn't attend office hours so I didn't really have a personal relationship with any professors. To supplement I sent all of my letter writers copies of my current personal statement drafts and offered to meet with them to chat. I would HIGHLY recommend checking in with your letter writers semi-often, especially closer to submission day. One of my letter writers mysteriously disappeared 2 weeks from when I wanted to submit and I had to scramble to get a new letter.

My biggest advice would be to not rush. Do not worry about finishing and applying as soon as you can. Take your time, explore, take classes outside your major, have roommates that are not premed, and definitely don't start studying for the MCAT yet. I'd recommend to everyone to take a gap year. They're incredibly beneficial both for your application, but for your own personal growth as well. On the interview trail you can very quickly identify who took a gap year and who's going straight through (everybody is kind and incredible but the straight-through applicants tend to be more on the nervous side).

To be honest at this point there's still a high chance that you'll change your mind and you decide you want to do something else, AND THAT'S TOTALLY OK! During orientation week at my 4 year they asked all of the biology/natural sciences students to raise their hand if they were a premed. Like 90% of us did. The number of premeds significantly declined by graduation. In the end, focus on studying something you enjoy, participating in extracurriculars that are meaningful to you, trying new things, and don't feel like it's a race to get to med school.

Mistake 1. Taking all your required prereqs at a community college puts you on a weaker application position. Many medical schools recommend or require to take these at a 4 year school (see Exhibit A Below)
Mistake 2. When your GPA is looked at by medical school, dual enrollment classes while in HS are viewed is a separate category. That is done as it is perceived that dual enrollment course programs provide less rigorous course work (see Exhibit B Below)

I consider this Mistake 3. You are planning to go from a likely less rigorous dual enrollment community college where you are planning to have taken the foundational courses to advanced level biology/chemistry at a school you never attended before with older students who may know how the courses and the professors, are with a more or less HS level study skillset / attitude. I consider this a risk that is fully under your control to change.

Mistake 4. Overly achieving academic "nerds" are a dime a dozen applicants. In addition to the academic side, medicine is essentially a profession of relationships with patients, colleagues and the subject itself. Applicants who are so academically heavy and one dimensional raise a flag when being evaluated

Mistake 5. Yes, but doing this HS, even though you are taking courses, is not by most adcoms considered college experience. Until you have graduated HS, it is all HS experience, which usually isnt mentioned on medical school application.

The medical schools are surveyed for what they look for in a candidate. See chart in Exhibit C below. You should strong consider an extra year at University and/or a gap year. BTW, the majority of successful applicants took a gap year

Mistake 6. You can ask for letters now and store them via Interfolio. But you need to keep in contact with these professors and give them progress reports as your college career progresses so they can update as letter over a year or two are very weak. But again, CC professors arent as strong as regular professors. And you will have less time building a relationship with University profs then other students in your cohort.

No, there is no reason to start studying for MCAT until have all coursework and are applying within a year.

Summary Your overall attempts to do prereqs, at a CC, via dual enrollment, not leaving enough time to for actual college level experience, relying on older LORs, and applying young would make you a weak applicant

Exhibit A: Community College Guidance from Medical School
There are some medical schools that directly speak to this idea of community college courses. This may give a little better insight in how the underlying “culture” or “attitude” of admission committee members, whether a formal policy or not, may perceive applicants who choose summer or community college coursework. While this list is not exhaustive, it is representative enough to help advise students who are considering such a step.

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/regular-track/requirements
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites, Requirements and Policies | Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Program
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » FAQ » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
MD Program Frequently Asked Questions | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
MD Program Admissions Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
Medical School Admissions
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

Exhibit B: AMCAS GPA Grid

View attachment 301911

Exhibit C AAMC Survey of Medical School Factors Considered

View attachment 301912
Hi Gonnif,
Thank you for your detailed response! I see your point, and it makes sense.

What can I do right now to make me a stronger applicant?

My Goal will dual enrollment and taking a lot of the prerequisites early was to help me get through pre-med sooner. Is this a possibility?

I have been shadowing doctors and volunteering at clinics. Is there something else I should look into?

Thank You Again! :)