Dual Fellowship (Stroke+Epilepsy) for Canadian migration

Started by TNKay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TNKay

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I am a second year neurology resident in the US who wants to migrate to Canada eventually. I just wanted to run something by this group as I have always gotten great advice from people here, something I am very grateful for.
My program gives me a good exposure to stroke but the only reason I intend to do stroke on the top of epilepsy is to transition into Canadian health system and I wouldn't want to do 2 years of epilepsy fellowship (from what I have gathered it can easily take 2 years to be able to transition well into their system, or get an academic job, etc etc).
Is this a good idea? and I thought I might as well practice both stroke and epilepsy for a few years and then transition to epilepsy only (eventually) for an easier lifestyle.
Any and every thought is welcome. Appreciate everyone's help. thanks!
 
As I understand, you just need 1 year of ACGME-approved year to satisfy the equivalent training year (5 years in Canada versus 4 years in US). If you feel adequately trained in stroke (which you will definitely in most residencies), you should not do 1 year stroke but just focus on epilepsy if this is what you imagine your eventual practice would be.
 
As I understand, you just need 1 year of ACGME-approved year to satisfy the equivalent training year (5 years in Canada versus 4 years in US). If you feel adequately trained in stroke (which you will definitely in most residencies), you should not do 1 year stroke but just focus on epilepsy if this is what you imagine your eventual practice would be.
That's true. They ask for one additional year. But they still somewhat expect two years of fellowship from trainees from academic positions, and it can anyway take 2 years getting the visa stuff sorted, and making connections with the staff there, etc. etc. And I wouldn't mind seeing stroke for a first few years of my career. That's the reason I was confused. But thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it!