Dual PT/AT license.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp60

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the clinicians who are dual licensed in Physical Therapy and Athletic Training, what are the benefits for you? Has it opened up and opportunities that you would have otherwise not been able to achieve?

Members don't see this ad.

To all the clinicians who are dual licensed in Physical Therapy and Athletic Training, what are the benefits for you? Has it opened up and opportunities that you would have otherwise not been able to achieve?

Resume leg up and better foundational knowledge base over peers for sports physical therapy and concussion management. Possible use for on field weekend coverage?

No pay increase. All extra value is esoteric

i only maintained my ATC license in my state while I was in PT school, I've accepted a position in a hospital inpatient rehab setting where the credential means nothing so I will be letting it lapse.

It is a competitive edge to have the ATC after your name when trying to provide athletic event coverage and it gets the attention of some orthopedists who might steer referrals to you because you stand out from the white noise of all of the PTs who are NOT also ATCs. I don't get paid any more because of it other than $25 per event that does accumulate over time and ends up being a nice "bonus" check once a year. I'm glad I have it still and I work at a rural hospital and cover local high school athletic events.