Dual Residencies: FP/EM; IM/EM; etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS Cotton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you know of any dual residency opportunities or where to find a list of them and their locations, please respond:

It can be ANY dual residency and it does not matter if it is AOA approved.....

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of residencies... is there a benefit to a dual-accredited residency?

Accredidation.........yes. Long story short, it definately does not hurt to be "acrredited" by both the AOA and the AMA.

Dual board certification is different, but equally benificial.......meaning, doing a dual residency (i.e. Family Practice/Emergency Medicine) will result in you being board certified in both specialities.......and you could practice as an ER doctor and a Internal Medicine doc if you wanted.........

The big benefit to doing a dual residency is that it gives you not only more "certifications" but options as well...............If a physician completed the FP/EM residency, he could open a family practice later in his career after doing EM for a time..........

Also, many states are adopting rules that won't allow you to practice within a certain feild of medicine unless you are "residency trained" in that feild.............meaning, in the past many docotors could practice in the ER if they went and to the EM boards, etc............not that simple anymore. In the future, if you wanted to work in an ER after years in a FP clinic, you would have to go do a EM residency..............with the all that that implies ( low pay, long hours, etc.....)

Options......!

But it depends on the program as to whether or not you would have AOA accredidation or AMA.........or both...

Please correct me on the AOA/AMA stuff if I am wrong.....

Accredidation.........yes. Long story short, it definately does not hurt to be "acrredited" by both the AOA and the AMA.

Dual board certification is different, but equally benificial.......meaning, doing a dual residency (i.e. Family Practice/Emergency Medicine) will result in you being board certified in both specialities.......and you could practice as an ER doctor and a Internal Medicine doc if you wanted.........

The big benefit to doing a dual residency is that it gives you not only more "certifications" but options as well...............If a physician completed the FP/EM residency, he could open a family practice later in his career after doing EM for a time..........

Also, many states are adopting rules that won't allow you to practice within a certain feild of medicine unless you are "residency trained" in that feild.............meaning, in the past many docotors could practice in the ER if they went and to the EM boards, etc............not that simple anymore. In the future, if you wanted to work in an ER after years in a FP clinic, you would have to go do a EM residency..............with the all that that implies ( low pay, long hours, etc.....)

Options......!

But it depends on the program as to whether or not you would have AOA accredidation or AMA.........or both...

Please correct me on the AOA/AMA stuff if I am wrong.....

thanks, but do you know if the program is both AMA and AOA accredited then can you take both boards and become dual-accredited yourself?

thanks, but do you know if the program is both AMA and AOA accredited then can you take both boards and become dual-accredited yourself?

Well, assuming a program were ACGME accredited (not AMA) & AOA accredited, one could take both boards upon completion of the program; but that seems redundant, expensive and extreme. The vast majority of these dual-accredited programs are in family medicine and internal medicine. I suppose if one were wanting to sub-specialize in internal medicine, sitting on both sides of the fence may increase the fellowship opportunities.

i tot i started a thread about accreditation....apparently, nobody likes me starting thread since no one replied to it and rather write in this "de-toured" thread....:cool:

i tot i started a thread about accreditation....apparently, nobody likes me starting thread since no one replied to it and rather write in this "de-toured" thread....:cool:

The first two replies to your thread answer your question about how to find dual residency opportunities. What more do you want discussed?

Yes, if a program is accredited by both the AOA and the ACGME than you can sit for both Board exams. The advantage of this may be that you will not run into problems with insurance companies in certain states/areas because you are a DO, and you will not be overlooked by the AOA as some ACGME trained DOs are.

If you do a dually-accredited program, you can opt to take either the AOA or ACGME certification exam, or both. Whether or not your residency program pays for one, two, or none of these exams is at their discretion.

Does this answer your question?

I think the biggest advantage of a dually accredited program, at least for DOs, is you arent limited to which specialty programs you can apply to and there wont be any licensing issues if you enter an allopathic fellowship.

Well, assuming a program were ACGME accredited (not AMA) & AOA accredited, one could take both boards upon completion of the program; but that seems redundant, expensive and extreme. The vast majority of these dual-accredited programs are in family medicine and internal medicine. I suppose if one were wanting to sub-specialize in internal medicine, sitting on both sides of the fence may increase the fellowship opportunities.

Yes, if a program is accredited by both the AOA and the ACGME than you can sit for both Board exams. The advantage of this may be that you will not run into problems with insurance companies in certain states/areas because you are a DO, and you will not be overlooked by the AOA as some ACGME trained DOs are.

If you do a dually-accredited program, you can opt to take either the AOA or ACGME certification exam, or both. Whether or not your residency program pays for one, two, or none of these exams is at their discretion.

Does this answer your question?

I think the biggest advantage of a dually accredited program, at least for DOs, is you arent limited to which specialty programs you can apply to and there wont be any licensing issues if you enter an allopathic fellowship.

Thanks.

Is there a way to search for these programs online? Does anyone know of a EM/IM dual certified residency? I know that is probably stretching it... lots of duals in that residency if such a residency exists. You would be quadruple boarded?:confused:

Are you as thoroughly trained/skilled in each as one would be separately in either? Are there only combos with enough overlap that an additional year can cover the difference? Is the time spent in daily training the same as single specialty, or do you spend much more time training in addition to the added year?

Thanks.

Is there a way to search for these programs online? Does anyone know of a EM/IM dual certified residency? I know that is probably stretching it... lots of duals in that residency if such a residency exists. You would be quadruple boarded?:confused:

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/index.htm

Go to Program Search
Go to Advanced Search
At the bottom of the advanced search page there is a box to click for dually accredited programs.

There are no dually accredited IM/EM programs.

There are 12 IM/EM Osteopathic Programs
There are 11 IM/EM Allopathic Programs

Board certification by both the AOA and ABMS is redundant.

Board certification in two separate specialties is not.

Are you as thoroughly trained/skilled in each as one would be separately in either? Are there only combos with enough overlap that an additional year can cover the difference? Is the time spent in daily training the same as single specialty, or do you spend much more time training in addition to the added year?

These programs definately prepare you well enough to practice in either area of specialty.

These programs are generally 1 year less than the two specialties combined (3 + 3 becomes 5 years). A notable exception is IM/FP which is only 4 years.

Each program likely varies in the number of months spent in any one area or any one specialty, but it is likely that they give you enough coverage in both areas. Also realize that there arent dual programs that are in way off specialties. Most of the dual programs combine specialties with a decent amount of overlap. For instance, there is not Orthopedic surgery/Internal medicine program.

EM/FP
IM/EM
IM/FP
IM/Neuro
IM/Preventive
Neuro/Rads
Peds/EM
Peds/PM&R
Psych/FP
IM/Derm
FP/Derm
IM/Critical Care
IM/Nuclear
IM/Genetics
IM/PM&R
IM/Psych
Peds/Derm
Peds/Genetics
Peds/Psych
Psych/Neuro

biggest advantage to AMA/AOA accreditied IM programs is taht you can enter both AMA and AOA fellowships afterward.

I said that up here. :)

These programs definately prepare you well enough to practice in either area of specialty.

These programs are generally 1 year less than the two specialties combined (3 + 3 becomes 5 years). A notable exception is IM/FP which is only 4 years.

Each program likely varies in the number of months spent in any one area or any one specialty, but it is likely that they give you enough coverage in both areas. Also realize that there arent dual programs that are in way off specialties. Most of the dual programs combine specialties with a decent amount of overlap. For instance, there is not Orthopedic surgery/Internal medicine program.

EM/FP
IM/EM
IM/FP
IM/Neuro
IM/Preventive
Neuro/Rads
Peds/EM
Peds/PM&R
Psych/FP
IM/Derm
FP/Derm
IM/Critical Care
IM/Nuclear
IM/Genetics
IM/PM&R
IM/Psych
Peds/Derm
Peds/Genetics
Peds/Psych
Psych/Neuro

Although I am never an original poster, I always find your responses to be very informative!:thumbup: