Dual Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky9

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there anyone actually completed residencies for multiple specialties?
I am currently an PGY-1 in Family Medicine but I am getting interested in Psychiatry, as well.

After completing my Fam med residency, I am willing to apply for a Psych program, and wonder how the process would be.
- Would it be doable? (Any hindrance?)
- Should I apply for the PGY-2 position for the Psych or should I do the intern year again?
- Will I be able to practice both as a PCP and a psychiatrist once I complete them all?

Best,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Is there anyone actually completed residencies for multiple specialties?
I am currently an PGY-1 in Family Medicine but I am getting interested in Psychiatry, as well.

After completing my Fam med residency, I am willing to apply for a Psych program, and wonder how the process would be.
- Would it be doable? (Any hindrance?)
- Should I apply for the PGY-2 position for the Psych or should I do the intern year again?
- Will I be able to practice both as a PCP and a psychiatrist once I complete them all?

Best,

1. Yes it is doable. Main hindrance is that CMS funding is reduced for people who already have completed training. This isn't a huge deal at a lot of places, but it will limit at least some of the places that would be willing to accept you.
2. I would try to apply for PGY-2. Most programs would also be willing to give you some credit if you ask them directly. I've heard of people not getting a full year, some only getting like 6 mos or so, but its still better than nothing.
3. Yes.

Learn more at Promoting Education, Mentorship, Research & Quality Patient Care | Association of Medicine and Psychiatry, and specifically for info on sequential training Sequential Training | Association of Medicine and Psychiatry. AMP has a number of resources like ECP (early career physician) mentors that can help in different areas and just give you more info about combined trained physician opportunities. Also consider going to the AMP annual (virtual) conference this year from Oct 15-17. It actually helps that you are looking into this process early. You can plan accordingly and decide if its the path you really want.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.