dually accredited internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a senior student in desperate need of a list of internships that are both AOA and ACGME accredited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Does that even exist. The traditional internship in the allopathic world is pretty much gone. There are lots of dual accredited residencies...never heard of dual-accredited internship...

Why would you even want such a thing. If you are looking into a MD program, then apply there.
If you want to do an internship first, then that is that. I really do not understand what the questinon is??
The MD's have a year they call transitional year. Is this what you mean?? I have heard you can get this year approved as an internship, but I am not for sure. Would have to contact the AOA. Still, I do not see the point, unless the hospital/university told you it would increase your chances into residency if you do a transitional year here? Now I guess that would be a differant story. I have never heard of such a case. I have been told, by MD residents, that their DO peers had an advantage the first year of residency because the DO's already had a year under their belt. This is of course common knowledge. Anyway. . .I do not know if I helped any.
Don't foget, things are going to be changing as far as DO matching. This is the first year to match for internship/residency. I bet it will catch on pretty fast as the thing to do. Who wants to wait an entire year to find out where residency will be. I know I am matching for both this winter! Can't beat that!

------------------
ob/gyn wannabe

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what you are interested in specializing in, however there are a few dually accr. programs in Chicago. One of them is at St. Francis hospital, also Cook County and Illinois Masonic

------------------
TTFN

Here is a incomplete list of hospitals which have dually-accredited, ACGME/AOA-approved transitional year programs:
1. St. Luke's Hospital (PA)
2. Cook County (IL)
3. Illinois Masonic (IL)
4. Bi-County/Henry Ford Hospital (MI)
5. Riverside/Henry Ford Hospital (MI)