Dublin vs. PEI? Anyone go to these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rocky12688

Mizzou c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got a call from the University of Dublin......and I got accepted! I have already had interviews with Missouri and Iowa, and am supposed to go to the Glasgow interview on Monday and PEI on the 15th. Im banking on Missouri, but I am trying to look at all my options.

For Dublin, I was wondering if anyone who went or goes there can tell me about the overall curriculum and course load. How are the Proffesors? Also.... would international students have to pay international tuition costs all 4 years, or can they somehow become a resident of Ireland. Similarly with PEI, can international students become a resident there as well so they don't have to pay the full tuition cost? Any info form students that can give me pros and cons for the two school would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
 
I don't think internationals can easily gain residency at UPEI.
Don't take my word for it, but my understanding is that you'd probably need to gain Canadian citizenship AND live in an atlantic province for 12 consecutive months while not in school..
I would confirm things with admissions there, but don't be optimistic about it..
 
Yeah, Newfoundland has it right. You would essentially need to become a citizen to get residency at UPEI.

Seats in the DVM program at UPEI are subsidized by each of the 4 Atlantic provincial governments, which determine how many of their admissible residents may enroll. The information provided in this section must be fully disclosed so that the seats are offered to the eligible applicants from the appropriate provinces. Province of legal residence is defined as one of the following:
a) where you graduated from high school
b) where your parents/guardian permanently reside
c) where you have been living for the past 12 months or more, and were NOT enrolled full-time at any institution.

A) wouldn't apply to you, neither would b). You couldn't drop out after first year and gain residency, so you'd have to essentially move legally to Atlantic Canada, work for a year and then you'd be applying as an Atlantic Canadian, not an International.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also recently got accepted into Dublin, and am looking to learn more about the program. Hopefully there are some current students on here that can tell us how they like it!
 
Tonkamoo, did you also get a call?
I'm surprised to hear people are hearing this fast, seeing as they told us we wouldn't hear until Mid-March/April time. Congrats on the acceptance!
 
Nope, my acceptance came via email, with no phone call. However I could tell the email was personally written, as it referenced my Engineering background. I thought that was a nice touch. I'm still waiting for the official letter in the mail.
 
I'm a first year grad at UCD, and the program is pretty great!! (I used to work at Tufts too so I can say that and actually mean it when compared to US schools).

To answer you're question, you have to pay tuition all 4 years (Irish students don't actually have tuition fees like we do, so they like it when we come because it means they actually make money haha). It's also pretty much impossible to get Irish residency anymore unless your parents were born here. (I actually was going to try because all of my grandparents were born here, but basically its not going to work). That said, the tuition is pretty comparable to any school you'd attend out-of-state in the US (as long as the exchange rate doesn't go out of control that is).

Is there anything specific you want to know about the program? I can give you a run down on the basics, and you can go to this website and click on module information at the bottom to see what the classes are all about for each year. https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=53

So far I'm really enjoying it! Feel free to PM me if you've got questions.

-M.A.
UCD Vet Med
2014 Class Rep
 
Even if you are granted citizenship after you arrive here you don't get to switch tuition fees of Irish students. If you come in as an international student, you pay those fees throughout your academic career. Several of my classmates got their citizenships and they wouldnt let them change.