Duke 2ndary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about Duke's secondary. They require you to put in your recommendations...however, I only have a committee that takes care of that. SO, i put in that i had a composite letter in the online thing. However, when i "audit" the application, it still says "STOP, you don't have four total recommendations and you don't have two science recommendations." I don't know which recommendations my committee sent to them, since that is confidential, and they did send 3 letters along with their composite letter. Did anyone else run into this problem, and what did you do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you know what letters they are sending out? I thought only the content had to be confidential, not who the actual letter writers were.

"Joe the janitor thinks Mansoor will be an excellent doctor."

Members don't see this ad :)
dajimmers said:
Why don't you know what letters they are sending out? I thought only the content had to be confidential, not who the actual letter writers were.

"Joe the janitor thinks Mansoor will be an excellent doctor."

Actually, my premed committee even keeps that information confidential. You send all of your letters of rec to that office, and then they send out the three best, along with a composite letter. You don't know which ones they send.

But didn't anyone else run into this problem?

Mansoor said:
Actually, my premed committee even keeps that information confidential. You send all of your letters of rec to that office, and then they send out the three best, along with a composite letter. You don't know which ones they send.

??? so how many letters do you send to the prehealth committee? 8?

Mansoor said:

My school sends out all the letters in the packet, so I have 7 letters listed. You should probably call Duke and ask them what to do!

By the way, how do we find out if the letters are received? Mine was sent like 2 weeks ago but nothing changed on their system...

So you ask professors for letters and then some of them don't even get used?! I think that's ridiculous. Why waste a faculty member's valuable time if you're not actually going to use the letter??? I'd be furious if I found out I spent time writing a letter that didn't even get utilized!

I'm not criticizing you, as I understand that this is your school's policy, but I think it's really unfair to faculty members to encourage this practice. Plus, this sort of screening of LORs defeats the purpose of the "I waive my right to see the letter" thing, which presumably allows faculty members to be fair in their evaluations of an applicant. By your school's committee acting on your behalf to screen LORs, they in a sense prevent admissions committees from getting a good picture of what your professors have actually said about you, since they presumably weed out "bad" letters and only include the best. There's a certain degree of pre-screening that already goes on anyway, as you only ask for letters from people who you think would write you a good one. So why introduce another complicating wrinkle into the equation? One might also argue that it allows students from your school an unfair advantage, in that you can still "waive your right," but the committee basically acts on your behalf to select only the best letters. I don't think such a practice should be allowed by the AAMC or medical school adcoms.

Does anyone else know of practices like this going on at other schools???

TommyGunn04 said:
One might also argue that it allows students from your school an unfair advantage, in that you can still "waive your right," but the committee basically acts on your behalf to select only the best letters. I don't think such a practice should be allowed by the AAMC or medical school adcoms.
Am in agreement here.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has called Duke to resolve the committee packet issue. I have a committee letter as well, and I only have 3 letters in it, and only one of them is from a science prof. My premed advisor says that it shouldn't matter that only one is from a science prof b/c the committee has science profs on it, but that doesn't help me submit my app! I'm getting the "stop" sign after I audit b/c I don't have 2 science letters...