Duke 3/2 Combined Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fouracle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just casually reading various program sites and landed on Duke Radiology. Was not aware that their program is actually 5 years instead of 4 and is a “combined” program.

I couldn’t find too many specifics on their website about how this works. Does the 5 years include fellowship or would residents need to apply to an additional year of fellowship? If the former, how do residents apply to their fellowship of choice?

just curious if anyone had any insight. Currently have duke on my list but idk how thrilled I feel about the idea of an extra year of training.

Members don't see this ad.

Was just casually reading various program sites and landed on Duke Radiology. Was not aware that their program is actually 5 years instead of 4 and is a “combined” program.

I couldn’t find too many specifics on their website about how this works. Does the 5 years include fellowship or would residents need to apply to an additional year of fellowship? If the former, how do residents apply to their fellowship of choice?

just curious if anyone had any insight. Currently have duke on my list but idk how thrilled I feel about the idea of an extra year of training.

I did fellowship at Duke.

The 3-2 program includes fellowship. It's usually years 1-3 are regular DR training, year 4 is a combination of electives/research/leftover graduation requirements and year 5 is fellowship. It means you're basically guaranteed your choice of fellowship at Duke in year 5.

Some residents did some creative things like doing half chest/half body or doing 6 mo of mammo in year 4 before their full year fellowship.

A few residents left after 4 years for an external fellowship.

As a casual observer of the residents, i'd have to say the residency program is awesome and everyone was for the most part really happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's basically a fancy title for a mini-fellowship, which is ubiquitous nationwide. Just marketing.

Reactions: 4 users
The only true 3+2 experience outside of IR I have seen is MGH for neuroradiology, since the fellowship is default two years and doing the entirety of R4 functioning as a neuro fellow before one ACGME year is the only exception to that. For other specialties, I don't think anyone would choose to do two years. Does anyone at Duke actually do 2 years in the fellowship specialty outside of IR?

The only true 3+2 experience outside of IR I have seen is MGH for neuroradiology, since the fellowship is default two years and doing the entirety of R4 functioning as a neuro fellow before one ACGME year is the only exception to that. For other specialties, I don't think anyone would choose to do two years. Does anyone at Duke actually do 2 years in the fellowship specialty outside of IR?
It sounds like the Duke version of MGH curriculum. Do the ABR requirements in 3, 4th year the leftovers or whatever mini fellowship, and 5 actual fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I did fellowship at Duke.

The 3-2 program includes fellowship. It's usually years 1-3 are regular DR training, year 4 is a combination of electives/research/leftover graduation requirements and year 5 is fellowship. It means you're basically guaranteed your choice of fellowship at Duke in year 5.

Some residents did some creative things like doing half chest/half body or doing 6 mo of mammo in year 4 before their full year fellowship.

A few residents left after 4 years for an external fellowship.

As a casual observer of the residents, i'd have to say the residency program is awesome and everyone was for the most part really happy.
That's awesome to hear - thank you!

Yep. IR, neuro, and nucs at a bunch of places. (well, nucs isn't 3+2 but same idea with the infolded fellowship)

You're saying that at a bunch of places people do both R4 and PGY-6 year in neuroradiology? Where?
Yep. Off the top of my head and after a quick Google search of some big names: (in addition to MGH and Duke) Penn, UCSF, Stanford, Brigham, NYU, etc, etc. They go by the names 3+2, early specialization, or mini-fellowship (with elaboration in their curriculum pages).

Yep. Off the top of my head and after a quick Google search of some big names: (in addition to MGH and Duke) Penn, UCSF, Stanford, Brigham, NYU, etc, etc. They go by the names 3+2, early specialization, or mini-fellowship (with elaboration in their curriculum pages).
I think those offer varying degrees of a full fellowship year. I know for a fact that some of them have R4s cover resident call shifts rather than fellow calls, encourage non-clinical elective time, etc.

I think those offer varying degrees of a full fellowship year. I know for a fact that some of them have R4s cover resident call shifts rather than fellow calls, encourage non-clinical elective time, etc.
I know for a fact it happens at Brigham. I think true completion of residency requirements by R3 where the R4 can totally focus on being a fellow is uncommon.

I agree that their non-neuro responsibilities vary. I think the most important selling point is shaving the extra year off of an otherwise often 2-year fellowship