This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summarizer

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you're doing well. I'm an MS4 currently applying into rads and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the (relatively) new combined 16 month DR/NM pathways available at some institutions? Is it worth it? Does it make you marketable? Can you practice DR and NM?

I think it would be awesome to do DR/NM and then a body imaging fellowship (some programs advertise that combined residents do DR fellowships afterwards). Is this feasible/worthwhile?

Sorry for all the questions, just very curious about this. Hope you're all staying safe.

Members don't see this ad.

I trained this way and am boarded by ABNM and waiting for ABR to realize how to do remote testing.

It depends on the role you want to fulfill as you get out and get a job. If you stay academic, you’ll likely only do NM or DR.

I ended up doing an actual fellowship in another discipline and took a private practice job doing 50% body/NM and 50% my other specialty, so yes you can practice both.

I trained this way and am boarded by ABNM and waiting for ABR to realize how to do remote testing.

It depends on the role you want to fulfill as you get out and get a job. If you stay academic, you’ll likely only do NM or DR.

I ended up doing an actual fellowship in another discipline and took a private practice job doing 50% body/NM and 50% my other specialty, so yes you can practice both.

Thanks for the reply! Probably pretty naive/immature, but I'm really interested in radionuclide therapy/oncology so was wondering if it was possible to do body/general radiology half of the week and the nucs side the other half? Or is this completely out of touch with reality?

Thanks for the reply! Probably pretty naive/immature, but I'm really interested in radionuclide therapy/oncology so was wondering if it was possible to do body/general radiology half of the week and the nucs side the other half? Or is this completely out of touch with reality?

In most private practice settings Nucs is not complicated. PET-CT, Cardiac, V/Q, HIDA scan and once in a blue moon a GI Bleeder. Otherwise, if you want to do high end oncology imaging esp the therapeutic aspect of it, you have to join a big cancer center which is part of a big academic center most of the time. It means you will most likely do 100% Nucs.