Duke and volunteer activities and community service

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DarkChild, Nov 14, 2002.

1. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

After much anticipation, duke FINALLY got back to me with their secondary, I knew it was going to be a b!tch to complete, but I also encountered a significant problem, one that I dont think I can work around.
    Duke's first short answer question is:
    . Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved.... How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

Now my problem is that I dont have ANY volunteer activities nor have I done any community service. So what do I do?

Since I have more time on my hands than I'm used to, I'm going to fill out this secondary for kicks and submit too... but as for that question, I am just going to explain to the adcom that I have not done any community service or volunteer activities and that I dont believe them to be necessary to either develop my interest in medicine or have an impact on my decision to pursue a career in medicine.
    :D

What do you guys think?
    Its a shame too, cuz I actually like Duke's curriculum... thats why I'm not going to let this question stop me

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

4. hassan148

hassan148 Member

I am not your aware of you ec's however your lack of community service is going to be a problem anywhere you go. The medical schools are going to ask one thing; How do you know medicine is for you? If i was you i would ask yourself that ? before you start this very long process of getting into med school. Best of luck.

Just my $.02

5. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

hassan, good point... but I've got the clinical exposure to back up my interest in medicine... I just dont think it gets covered under the umbrella of "volunteer activities" because I was in a program where we shadowed a bunch of physicians...

still :confused:

6. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with what someone else said, having no volunteer activities is going to be a problem no matter where you apply.

Still, there is hope-- I went to undergrad at Duke and almost every pre-med volunteered in a program called HCIP (Health Careers Internship Program) I put it down on my Duke secondary as a volunteer experience (in addition to my other volunteering) bc it *was* time that I volunteered. So use your experiences, esp emphasizing any time that you spent while shadowing that may have benefited others. (for ex, I translated in Triage and changed sheets during some of my time in the program) Emphasize the positive!

7. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

'kay thanks MRose!

8. exigente chica

Yeha, I agree with the above psters, never just put nothing, not good. Make sure to write a little something, think hard and maybe u will remember something u've done. If not, I don't know what u are going to say during the interviews when they ask you about ur volunteer experience?:confused:

9. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

lol: I'll tell them the truth: I dont believe in volunteering or working for free. Frankly, I dont see it has anything to do with medicine.
    we'll see though...