Duke Biomedical Science (MBS) 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sks51

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wondered if anyone was planning to apply to the Duke MBS program this year? Also would love if any current/former students had any thoughts on the program and how it lead them to their next steps. It sounds like a great program!!

Also curious on its competitiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying!! I just submitted my application to BU! That's my dream post-bacc masters program, but will
definitely apply to Duke as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying! Did you all get a chance to attend the webinar?

Just submitted my apps last week for their priority review! Fingers crossed!

Applied on the 2nd! Hope it goes well. Been out of college for 5 years and taking a postbacc to get some academic exposure again before applying next year.

Submitted my application in time for the priority review. This is my top pick program, so I’m super anxious about 2/21! Wishing you all the best of luck! Also, who’s going to be at the Info Session on 1/27? :D

Just realized I messed up my essays after re-reading them, they're awful :(. Good luck to everyone else!

Applied for priority review at the end of last semester! Starting to get very anxious about 2/21. Any current or former MBS students know what time the phone calls are typically made?

Applied for priority review at the end of last semester! Starting to get very anxious about 2/21. Any current or former MBS students know what time the phone calls are typically made?
I didn't even know we'd get a phone call, I thought just an email. I'm right there with you waiting for Friday to come! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I got my acceptance call just now too. FINGERS CROSSED FOR YOU ALL

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did not get in! Had a feeling beforehand. My prompts were garbage. Got into other another program though.

Did your email say deferred to regular admissions?

yes, it did.

(even then, still don't think i'll get in, have already moved on. if i did get in then i'll take it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to those who got in! My assumption is that they deferred everyone who was not accepted. However, does anyone know if the ones deferred are given priority during the general review process?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I was accepted too for priority review. Is there a Facebook group yet?

Congrats on the acceptance. No FB group that I know of. A couple of us have connected via email. PM me and we can connect. For some reason I cant send you a PM

Hey! I'm a current MBS student at duke, if you have any questions feel free to DM me. Congrats to everyone who got in priority.

Would anyone who got accepted mind sharing their stats? I applied very late and for general review because I heard about the program late and I'm very anxious!
Thanks!

Would anyone who got accepted mind sharing their stats? I applied very late and for general review because I heard about the program late and I'm very anxious!
Thanks!

I'd be willing to share my stats. PM me!

Thanks!
I am also happy to share my stats if you want to PM me!

Hey everyone! Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear back if you applied near the application closing date. I'm getting nervous. :(

I applied for regular. I was going to make the priority but had to get a gpa override from them (extenuating circumstance). So I really have no idea what to expect and am nervous/excited to hear back! Online it says they’ll announce on a rolling basis from late February to April 3rd. We’ll see!

Hello,
A little late to the chat, but I also got accepted during priority. Would love to connect with some of you via email. I also know someone had mentioned a facebook group, I'm not sure if one has been created yet but would love to join if so.

Good luck to those of you waiting on acceptances in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
S.

I imagine admissions has had to make some adjustments bc of COVID-19. Anyone know how this will impact the admissions process?

I emailed them to ask. Their office is closed though so theres bound to be some lag...

Finally replied: Admission notifications are being sent as originally planned on a rolling basis with final decisions being sent on April 3rd.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if any regular review applicants have heard back? Only heard from priority crew

Does anyone know if they call or is it just email?
Hi - I was accepted for priority review. If you're accepted, it is a phone call on the decision date (4/3) followed by an email shortly after. Only an email if you are waitlisted/rejected. I received the call around lunchtime, but not sure if it will be the same next Friday. Hope this helps & good luck!

Hi - I was accepted for priority review. If you're accepted, it is a phone call on the decision date (4/3) followed by an email shortly after. Only an email if you are waitlisted/rejected. I received the call around lunchtime, but not sure if it will be the same next Friday. Hope this helps & good luck!
Okay great. Congratulations on your acceptance! thank you

Hey all, I've been chatting with a friend working at UNC-Chapel Hill. They've announced to their staff and faculty that they're considering starting their summer sessions in the graduate and undergraduate programs online. This may change and they might be holding off on publically anouncing it to the entire student body until later. Of course with everything up in the air, the likelihood of Duke MBS starting off normally is becoming questionable.

My friend's relative also works at Duke Med as a faculty and I kindly asked if they can keep us in the loop on this information coming form there as well. But this raises a lot of questions for me:

-Whether if courses are counted for actual grades or pass/fail
-Whether tuition will be affected
-How any of our clinical/hands-on experience will change

If any current MBS students would chime in on their experiences this semester, that would be great. I'd like to know how the faculty and staff are handling this situation with the current class and how it will affect their next endeavors.

Hey all, I've been chatting with a friend working at UNC-Chapel Hill. They've announced to their staff and faculty that they're considering starting their summer sessions in the graduate and undergraduate programs online. This may change and they might be holding off on publically anouncing it to the entire student body until later. Of course with everything up in the air, the likelihood of Duke MBS starting off normally is becoming questionable.

My friend's relative also works at Duke Med as a faculty and I kindly asked if they can keep us in the loop on this information coming form there as well. But this raises a lot of questions for me:

-Whether if courses are counted for actual grades or pass/fail
-Whether tuition will be affected
-How any of our clinical/hands-on experience will change

If any current MBS students would chime in on their experiences this semester, that would be great. I'd like to know how the faculty and staff are handling this situation with the current class and how it will affect their next endeavors.
Thank you. Please keep us posted!

Do decisions go out on Friday for everyone? Or is it on a rolling basis where some people have been getting in but everyone gets a reply on Friday??

Do decisions go out on Friday for everyone? Or is it on a rolling basis where some people have been getting in but everyone gets a reply on Friday??
It's suppose to be rolling but I haven't spoked to anyone who applied after priority that have heard back yet

I heard back, I was rejected but that's okay! I was accepted elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else! The priority review was not rolling. The regular decision cycle is rolling.

I heard back, I was rejected but that's okay! I was accepted elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else! The priority review was not rolling. The regular decision cycle is rolling.
I’m sorry to hear so. But I’m glad that you will go somewhere else. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Sorry to hear that. Congrats on the other acceptance. If you don’t mind me asking, around when did you apply?

I was accepted through phone earlier today; if anyone would like to connect please PM me!