Duke Biomedical Science (MBS) 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly didn’t even know they send out waitlist today, I thought it was Final decision

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm In the Duke MBS class of 2020. I was waitlisted and did not get accepted until late April so hang in there.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi I was wondering if you could tell us about your experience thus far in the program?
How rigorous is the curriculum? I am a bit nervous about attending and not being able to do well in the courses. I plan on applying to medical school while being in the program. Would you advise against that?
So I'm In the Duke MBS class of 2020. I was waitlisted and did not get accepted until late April so hang in there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about waitlist movement? How much hope should I be holding on to

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! For those who were accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm still in undergrad but plan on applying next year. Currently looking into which programs would be a good fit to apply to and I'm really interested in Duke's MBS.

Hello! For those who were accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm still in undergrad but plan on applying next year. Currently looking into which programs would be a good fit to apply to and I'm really interested in Duke's MBS.
Hi, I had a 3.47 GPA and 3.3 sGPA with a very strong upward trend (3.987 in the final 83 units of my degree). Strong letters of rec, extracurriculars, and worked very hard on my application. Had 2 poster presentation on a food insecurity study I did at my local free clinic. Hope this helps!

Sorry to hear that. Congrats on the other acceptance. If you don’t mind me asking, around when did you apply?

Sorry for the delay... I applied pretty close to the final deadline I think. I really should have gotten everything in sooner though so it's on me.

Don't give up on the waitlist if you really want this program. This program focuses a lot on EMS training, but if they go online in the fall, none of that will happen. The bottom line is if you are a URM applicant on the waitlist, you have a good shot. They cater to URM as their website shows and info sessions they have had that you can find on youtube also shows. Also, keep in mind that the medical schools that most of their applicants go to are not the best ones. The Duke name is the biggest draw, but doesn't help in getting accepted to Duke. I don't think the Duke name carries any weight for med school applications.
I got into the GTown SMP and was planning on choosing this one over it if I got in off the waitlist. Sounds like you have a different take?

GTown SMP has been around for a long time. The Duke MBS program is mainly for minorities and is not respected by medical schools. Look on their website at the low tier med schools that their students attend. In addition, many of their students attend PA schools.
Who are you to be saying this stuff. What do you know about the program.

I graduate in 3 weeks from the Duke MBS program and I just wanted to say a few things. The majority of my class are non-URMs and almost all want to attend medical school. The success rate of those that get into a medical school in previous graduating classes has been high with several students getting matched to Duke SOM. The majority of their data on their website pertains to their inaugural class and as you go through the program you have great faculty that helps you determine what schools would best fit you based on your strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! Feel free to PM if you have any questions :)

Does anyone know what Duke offers in terms of advising if I were to apply to medical schools this summer before the MBS starts in July and if applying now to medical schools is even recommended for this program? I am trying to decide which masters to choose and this is most likely what's going to help me decide

Hey everyone! I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I decided to make an account here upon seeing this thread. I was accepted into the MBS program back in February, so if anyone has any questions or wishes to connect, feel free to PM me. I look forward to seeing y'all in the future!

Hey! I'm a current MBS student at duke, if you have any questions feel free to DM me. Congrats to everyone who got in priority.
I was wondering how many people get into medical school if they applied right before starting masters instead of waiting to graduate from the MBS THEN applying? And of those who, how many got in to Duke SOM?

I was wondering how many people get into medical school if they applied right before starting masters instead of waiting to graduate from the MBS THEN applying? And of those who, how many got in to Duke SOM?

Out of the current class, a handful of students got into medical school. I'm not sure if any applied to duke med, but no one is attending duke med right out of the program. However, each year a handful of students who take a gap year gets and interview and is accepted to duke med.

Hope this helps!

I got into the GTown SMP and was planning on choosing this one over it if I got in off the waitlist. Sounds like you have a different take?
I chose Georgetown over Duke because i’m applying to med school this cycle as well and for many reasons georgetown fits better for people in my situation (applying to med school this cycle) more. Pm me if you need more information.

Hope someone gets off the waitlist!!

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! Feel free to PM if you have any questions :)
Did you do a letter of continued interest? Was there anything that helped you get off the waitlist? I’m currently on the waitlist for this cycle.