Duke Interviewees, when did your interview day end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bl2seq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who interviewed at Duke, when did your interview day end? It says 5pm on their website. I am just wondering if it actually ends a little early. It is OK to book a flight that leaves RDU around 5pm?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bl2seq said:
For those who interviewed at Duke, when did your interview day end? It says 5pm on their website. I am just wondering if it actually ends a little early. It is OK to book a flight that leaves RDU around 5pm?

Thanks!

I haven't gone on my interview yet but I would NEVER book a flight that early without checking with admissions or the interviewer first. Considering most airlines say to be there an hour before, plus it takes time to get to the airport, you'd need to leave somewhere around 3 PM; you may not even have had your interview by then. This is too important to feel anxiety and need to end the day/interview early. If you can't give it your best shot, don't even bother going. I would never book a flight before 7 PM when it says the day is over at 5 PM. Good luck!

bl2seq said:

Thanks!

I was done at 3. 5 is a bit early for a flight, although someone in my group had a flight at 5, told the coordinator, and was able to make it no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
bl2seq said:

Thanks!

Definitely call and ask if you can have early interviews, though 5pm will probably be cutting it close regardless. When I called the woman with whom I spoke said she would book me for interviews earlier in the afternoon, which should accommodate my 7pm flight.

yeah there is a ton of variability in the ending time. i ended at 4:30 while others ended at 5 or 3. Definitely contact the office (they are very friendly there) and ask if it would be possible to get two early interviews in order to make a flight. don't just bank on the chance you'd get early interviews...

the interview there didn't end until after 4 for most people in my interview group. The shuttle also doesn't pick up that frequently, so I think the safe bet is to plan to leave the school around 5 and book your flight after 6:30.

CarleneM said:
yeah there is a ton of variability in the ending time. i ended at 4:30 while others ended at 5 or 3. Definitely contact the office (they are very friendly there) and ask if it would be possible to get two early interviews in order to make a flight. don't just bank on the chance you'd get early interviews...

Agreed...once the afternoon started, I spent a lot of dead time in the admissions office before my interviews started--one scheduled at 3:15, the other at 4, and then because of backlog, my 4pm didn't start until closer to 4:20. See if you can get your latest to be scheduled for 2:30 or 3.

The first interview of the afternoon starts at 1:30 and each interview is 20-30 minutes. You'll generally have a break between interviews, and will also have a 1 hour tour. Some people have the tour before their interviews while others have it scheduled in between...it varies from person to person, day to day. Assuming there are no hitches, most people are done by 4:30. Even if you had the very first interview at 1:30 and then had your tour at 2pm and your second interview at 3pm, I'd still say that catching a 5pm flight is definitely quite risky given the slowness of the shuttle, potential traffic, etc.