Withdraw 2nd A by end of day TODAY or end of day Monday May 2nd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arnim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a financial aid offer from my top choice (PTE'ed to the school on AMCAS portal) and was told this week they would be having a meeting. Can I wait until Monday to withdraw my other A in case my top choice doesn't have a final decision until then or is it recommended I withdraw today from the other school just in case? For clarity I likely would go to my top choice no matter what the financial aid offer is, but I was also only given a "preliminary financial offer" at the beginning of the week by the other school. If this school gives me an increased financial aid offer between these days I can forward this information to the other school to help them make a final decision. I'm likely making this more complicated than necessary but maybe there is some insight someone else can offer.

TLDR: When are we supposed to narrow down our offers to 1, end of day today or end of day Monday?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a financial aid offer from my top choice (PTE'ed to the school on AMCAS portal) and was told this week they would be having a meeting. Can I wait until Monday to withdraw my other A in case my top choice doesn't have a final decision until then or is it recommended I withdraw today from the other school just in case? For clarity I likely would go to my top choice no matter what the financial aid offer is, but I was also only given a "preliminary financial offer" at the beginning of the week by the other school. If this school gives me an increased financial aid offer between these days I can forward this information to the other school to help them make a final decision. I'm likely making this more complicated than necessary but maybe there is some insight someone else can offer.

TLDR: When are we supposed to narrow down our offers to 1, end of day today or end of day Monday?
Monday, but there is no published time, so it could be end of the day, the beginning of the day (12:01 a.m. or 11:59 p.m.), or any time in between. Each school sets its own policy, so you really do need to check with them if you really want to take it right to the very end.

I wouldn't screw around and would make sure I had a selection registered by Sunday, but YMMV. Every year, someone gets cute and forgets, they didn't know, they didn't understand, the dog ate their internet, whatever, and they come on here crying that some school dumped them during an overnight purge and now they want to get lawyers involved because they no longer have an A.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t think you want to be going to a school that doesn’t even have the decency or wherewithal to post info that could have a dramatic impact on your life.

From posts on here, I feel like then releasing late usual means a lowball offer

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t think you want to be going to a school that doesn’t even have the decency or wherewithal to post info that could have a dramatic impact on your life.

From posts on here, I feel like then releasing late usual means a lowball offer
The first school didn't contact me until about a week and a half ago about their offer (1/3 minimum tuition up to 1/2) so I reached out as soon as I could to my top choice but I know these things take meetings to decide whether or not to extend additional aid. Just really inconvenient to have gotten notified so late

Reactions: 1 user
"For clarity I likely would go to my top choice no matter what the financial aid offer is"
then make sure you don't miss your deadline to accept.

Reactions: 4 users
"For clarity I likely would go to my top choice no matter what the financial aid offer is"
then make sure you don't miss your deadline to accept.
I've already selected PTE to my top choice school on CYMS just in case. I think the only thing I lose come Monday (if I have not withdrawn by then to try to wait out the offer) from the second school is they may drop my A correct? I should be totally safe in regards to my top choice as long as I've selected PTE?

Reactions: 1 user
Im already selected PTE to my top choice school on CYMS just in case. I think the only thing I lose come Monday without withdrawing from the second school is they may drop my A correct? I should be totally safe in regards to my top choice as long as I've selected PTE?
yes.

• Care
I've already selected PTE to my top choice school on CYMS just in case. I think the only thing I lose come Monday (if I have not withdrawn by then to try to wait out the offer) from the second school is they may drop my A correct? I should be totally safe in regards to my top choice as long as I've selected PTE?
Correct, and, pro tip here, you can also ask the other school to extend your deadline while you wait for them to get back to you! :)

• Love