Duke Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curtizz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there attending Duke Medical School?
Talk to me I want to know how it is. What are their admissions criteria like, and what are the classes like. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll take a crack at this one. You can see my post in the "How do you like your med school post?" for some other thoughts. I'm a first year at Duke, so I'm just getting started and only have limited experiences. But so far, so good. Classes are classes, and there's more material than you can ever learn. Since Duke crams all of the sciences into one year, they have to cut out some of the peripheral stuff and present the main points. We normally have three to four classes per day, and then labs mixed in. The first block wasn't bad because we were usually out by 3pm, so we often had some free time to do stuff afterwards. But I think that free time will be greatly reduced starting in Block II.

As far as getting in, they obviously look for strong academic credentials, but they also want people with unique experiences that will add to the diversity of the class. So in your application try to focus on the things that make you stand out from other strong applicants.

You're from NC?
Be wise...come to Chapel Hill.
Save the $$$.
All the dookies study in our coffee shops anyway.
:p

It's true... I love Caribou.

But, until Carolina goes through a few more "rebuilding years", you're bound to have a better time in Cameron than in the Dean Dome. :)

Seriously, both are great schools. I just got to know some of the kids over at UNC and I love em -- speaking of which, yigit, come to the hoe-down on Nov. 9th. And who's this crafty person? Hiya!

So, Duke. Good school. I just posted on the "why does your school rock" forum too. I'm interviewing applicants right now and I've gotta tell you -- Duke is great for a number of reasons but the most important is the caliber of students (and applicants) we get. These people are amazing... and I don't just mean that they've got really high scores. They're all really passionate about what they want to do -- I'd love to be in a class with any of them.

I forgot to do this on the other forum, so I'll do it quickly here. Cons to Duke. Hmm... Carolina is only a few miles down the road, so -- on windy days -- the stench can get to you. :) Seriously, we do end up going to Chapel Hill or Raleigh to party, so Durham could be seen as a con. Again, the tuition is awfully high. But you get a fancy-schmancy "Duke" diploma out of it and a get-into-whatever-residency-you-like pass comes with it.

I've gotta get back to board cramming... these forums are addictive.