Program-Specific Info / Q's Duke OTD / Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prtyuncl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread yet regarding Duke's application process for their OTD program! How's everyone doing with their domain essays? How are ya'll feeling about this process versus the traditional prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Thank you for starting this thread :). I applied to Duke as well. I found the flexible perquisites to be a unique approach and I think that it will definitely lead to a cohort with a more diverse academic background. How do you feel about them and is Duke one of your top programs? I really love the holistic approach they are taking to the admissions decisions and application process and am highly considering it. However, I am a little disappointed that OT experience and letters of recommendation from an OT won’t be considered given that I worked so hard to find an OT company to volunteer at during COVID. My stats are psychology major 3.997 GPA, prerequisite GPA of 4.0, no GRE, one letter of recommendation from an OTR, two from professors, and one from a professional capacity, experience as a research assistant, volunteer experience as a special education student teacher, 46 hours as an ot volunteer in outpatient pediatrics, and around 30 hours of experience through the NCOTA fall conference.

Reactions: 1 user
I majored in human development with a minor in disabilties studies. My GPA was 3.3 and my prerequisite GPA depending on the program is around a 3.7. My letters are from an OT/CHT who is also my supervisor, a professor who also supervised my undergraduate research, my study abroad professor, my supervisor for my field study work (which I did at an adult day center for adults with dementia/complications from stroke), and my volunteer coordinator and coach from my years with Special Olympics. I have shadowing hours in outpatient peds, acute care, and inpatient psych (so I agree, I'm also bummed observation hours won't be considered but I'm hoping my experience comes through well in my personal statement). I took a gap year to get more experience in clinical settings, so I obtained my CNA license (completing a clinical rotation during COVID was all kinds of difficult haha) and then I got a job as a rehab tech in an outpatient hand clinic! I haven't submitted my Duke application yet because I am still editing all my essays, but it is definitely one of my top choices! I have really enjoyed the process of explaining my knowledge through the domain essays and I am super impressed with their faculty. Did you get around the 2000 word mark for each domain? I am trying to strike a balance between giving as much relevant information as I can while still not bombarding them with too much content.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great stats and it sounds like you have plenty of work experience which I'm sure will really make you stand out as an applicant! The word max for each of the prerequisite knowledge domains is 300 words and I definitely used the maximum. I tend to ramble so it was a challenge for me to pare down my responses lol. It's so nice to know someone else who is really considering the program! Other than UNC it's my top choice and admittedly the only other school I applied to so I'm anxiously awaiting any news on interviews. I'm really curious to hear about how many applications they receive.

I got an email back in July that they had expanded the word count to 2000 per domain, and then 7000 for the Duke specific essay! This is what the email said:

Dear Duke OTD Applicant,

The Duke University OTD is excited to see that you are applying to our innovative program! We have an important update regarding your application.

The character limits for the Prerequisites and the Duke Specific Essay have been increased by OTCAS. If you have already completed your responses, please consider revisiting the Questions section of your application now that you have the capability for a more detailed response.

To learn more about the Duke OTD, you can visit our website or register here to attend an online information session.

We look forward to receiving your application.

Warm Regards,

Lindy Norman, MAT

Special Programs and Admissions Coordinator

Occupational Therapy Doctorate Division
Duke University School of Medicine

OTCAS gives me the option for 2000 a piece, so at the moment I am averaging around 1200 for each one. I'm sure they would let you open your application back up if you wanted that option, although I think being able to answer the prompt so concisely actually bodes well for you.

I feel the same way! It's nerve-racking that they give notifications so much later than other programs, but Duke is definitely worth all the extra stress! I wouldn't worry too much if I were you though -- your stats are incredible!

Thank you for sharing that email, I really appreciate it! Are you sure that it's not 2000 characters as opposed to 2000 words? I submitted my application and the character max for each response on OTCAS was 2000 characters (Duke's prompt says in bold to answer the questions in 300 words or less which is around 2000 characters).

Holy ****, bud. You are so right hahahaha TIME TO EDIT DOWN ALL OF MY ESSAYS. Looks like the application brain fog finally got to me.

I am so glad you responded to this thread (':

Holy ****, bud. You are so right hahahaha TIME TO EDIT DOWN ALL OF MY ESSAYS. Looks like the application brain fog finally got to me.

I am so glad you responded to this thread (':
No prob!!! I know that this is a super stressful process! Also, OTCAS shows that the Duke-specific essay has a 7000 character max, not 7000 words. Good luck and wishing you the best!

No prob!!! I know that this is a super stressful process! Also, OTCAS shows that the Duke-specific essay has a 7000 character max, not 7000 words. Good luck and wishing you the best!
Thanks! Good luck to you too -- me know when you hear back! Such exciting times to be a future OT!

Has anyone heard anything from Duke regarding interviews or how many applications they received?

Has anyone heard anything from Duke regarding interviews or how many applications they received?
In their FAQ they said interview invitations will be sent out in February and interviews will be in March! I am not sure how many total applications they received but they posted on the dukeotd instagram page back on October 27th saying they had "more than 600 applications to date"

Considering UNC's program gets around 230 applicants per cycle on average, I was blown away! But it is Duke, after all! Let me know if you hear anything else!

In their FAQ they said interview invitations will be sent out in February and interviews will be in March! I am not sure how many total applications they received but they posted on the dukeotd instagram page back on October 27th saying they had "more than 600 applications to date"

Considering UNC's program gets around 230 applicants per cycle on average, I was blown away! But it is Duke, after all! Let me know if you hear anything else!
Holy crud!! 600? That is wild, thank you so much for sharing that stat. I had no idea that it would be that competitive as an unaccredited program :oops:

• Wow
Holy crud!! 600? That is wild, thank you so much for sharing that stat. I had no idea that it would be that competitive as an unaccredited program :oops:
I didn't either! It's gonna be a nerve-wracking few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know when you guys hear back!

Reactions: 1 users
Let me know when you guys hear back!
I might email them this week if we don't hear from them by Friday just to ask when the committee foresees sending out interview invitations and to confirm if we will receive an update even if we are not selected to interview.

I might email them this week if we don't hear from them by Friday just to ask when the committee foresees sending out interview invitations and to confirm if we will receive an update even if we are not selected to interview.
Great idea! I can do the same. Also, should we automatically assume that we didn’t get in if we don’t get an email for interviews?

Great idea! I can do the same. Also, should we automatically assume that we didn’t get in if we don’t get an email for interviews?
Based on my experiences from other schools, if we dont selected for the interviews then we are rejected.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to updated you all on when we should be receiving an email from Duke. I emailed them a couple of minutes ago about when we should be receiving an email on our interview and if we will be notified about not getting one, and their response was: “We anticipate interview invitations to go out by early March. Thanks for checking in!”
So, we will be waiting for another month, lol. I am assuming that we won’t officially know our acceptance till late April or early May.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Just wanted to updated you all on when we should be receiving an email from Duke. I emailed them a couple of minutes ago about when we should be receiving an email on our interview and if we will be notified about not getting one, and their response was: “We anticipate interview invitations to go out by early March. Thanks for checking in!”
So, we will be waiting for another month, lol. I am assuming that we won’t officially know our acceptance till late April or early May.
thank you so much for the update

Does anyone know the size of the cohort for the incoming grad class?

Found some new info on the Duke OTD page. Looks like there were over 700 applicants and acceptances will be sent out in April.
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 10.10.47 AM.png

Woohoo! Congratulations guys - very proud of us all 💜 also do they really need a picture with a super solid background? 😅

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! Are you?
yes! Yay I'm so happy to know someone else in the group :) I'm super curious to see how many people are in our group come next Friday to help deduce how many of us were invited to interview (given that there are 5 color groups)

hello, congrats everyone!!! Im in group Red for March 6th!

I was invited to interview on March 4th!! Blue group if anyone else is in that group!

yes! Yay I'm so happy to know someone else in the group :) I'm super curious to see how many people are in our group come next Friday to help deduce how many of us were invited to interview (given that there are 5 color groups)
I'm in green group too!! Congratulations everyone!

Did ya'll get a verification email after you completed the survey to confirm your interview? I'm nervous mine didn't go through since I had to complete one of their other surveys twice

Did ya'll get a verification email after you completed the survey to confirm your interview? I'm nervous mine didn't go through since I had to complete one of their other surveys twice
I didnt get a verification email either

nope, i didnt get one!

I got an email verifying that I had accepted the interview invitation this afternoon, but, still haven't received the detailed info they said they were sending in their invitation to interview email.

If anyone would like to connect through social media, feel free to follow me on Instagram: @sincerely_gc or Facebook: Gloria Cesar

I enjoy connecting with other prospective OT students & OTs! 💜

If anyone would like to connect through social media, feel free to follow me on Instagram: @sincerely_gc or Facebook: Gloria Cesar

I enjoy connecting with other prospective OT students & OTs! 💜
Same here, ya'll! @partyonkels on insta and Kelsey mcGregor on Facebook

Is the interview a big factor of the decision? Do you all want to attend this school?