duke, rolling admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clockitnow

Do it! Do it! Do it now!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Duke rolling admission? Which schools are rolling? I know that U Pitt/CMU is. I am just trying to decide when to schedule my Duke interview. I would like it to be later as long as it doesn't hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part it isn't rolling; they accept the majority in the spring. As has been intimated, a very small number of people are accepted shortly after they interview. It shouldn't really be a problem to interview later.

Habari said:
As has been intimated, a very small number of people are accepted shortly after they interview.

Where did you hear this??? What would be the reason for this small number being accepted early? I thought Duke had a strict release date in the spring for all acceptance letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
my experience -

i got a phone call from duke at some weird intermediate time - i want to say late february or march - when i got accepted. i think most people find out in april, though some of us heard early. i interviewed in early november.

-s

oh yeah,
this was in 2002. things may have changed . . .

ps: tg -- hi :) i know they have a strict release date for the med only but i know some mstps heard early.

itsaliger said:
my experience -

i got a phone call from duke at some weird intermediate time - i want to say late february or march - when i got accepted. i think most people find out in april, though some of us heard early. i interviewed in early november.

-s

Yes, they do call some students, but officially the release date for letters is around March 1st. Since it's been delayed the past few years due to AMCAS issues it may have SEEMED like some people heard earlier, but at least in theory it's not supposed to be that way. So while they may call some people a few days before the official "release date," the fact that Duke follows a release date policy means it's not technically "rolling."

I didn't realize some MSTP's get notified early. How early have you heard of this happening?

i don't know, actually. but pat (the admin. secretary) & sal did tell us that some people would find out early. mstp only though.

maybe they've changed the policy since then? i don't know . . . but i definitely heard before i was 'supposed' to hear. it was good, b/c it allowed me to withdraw interviews at other schools and save some $.

:) ps: you know who this is, right? the blog link makes it pretty obvious . . .

Where did you hear this??? What would be the reason for this small number being accepted early? I thought Duke had a strict release date in the spring for all acceptance letters.

i was notified about 3-4 weeks after i interviewed, so mid/late-november, with letter etc...

a lot of schools who have 'fixed non-rolling' dates for both med and mstp do tell some candidates early. a few, like baylor and duke actually send letters/official word - though others like yale/columbia/one other place i can't remember (my experience) will let you know through unofficial email, phone, or on the spot (i won't say which method for each of the schools). i'm not sure of the frequency of this occuring, but my sense is that it is exceedingly infrequent.

this is different from a school saying that you have a 'very good chance' or 'will probably get in' or 'i'm sure i'll see you in the fall', which while are encouraging, don't necessarily convert to acceptances. also, some schools give no indication, but also result in outright acceptances.

don't be disenchanted by hearing that some schools do this, or worry that you will be at a disadvantage if you interview later - many of the 'early-notified' people aren't high-yield matriculants (other offers etc...), and as i said before, the majority of _matriculants_ are those who have been accepted either on the date the program sites, or off a waitlist.