Duke v Penn v NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shwantis1660

Reaction score
NYU

Pros:

-I've talked to a bunch of students and they seem cool, chill, good senses of humor. They've rejected the preconceived notions I have about NYU being full of gunners

-Location: would be best for my partner and NYC would, of course, be a cool place to spend three/four years, although not convinced I'd want to stay for residency

-Clinical training: having Tisch, Bellevue, and the VA right next to one another would provide a really broad and strong clinical training

-Three year curriculum would allow me to do a research year/get a dual degree after clerkships, which I think would boost my residency applications and would prevent me from having to stick around for a fifth year

-Students generally live together in a subsidized residence hall and the student body is therefore pretty close

-Great online system that allows students to sign up for shadowing opportunities extremely easily

-Cost: 0 COA

Cons:

-match list: strong, but a bit weaker than Duke/Penn. Perhaps will continue to get stronger as NYU routinely attracts top students?

-prestige: old academic types think Penn is the way to go, non-medical people think Duke is awesome. I only care about this to the extent that it will impact my career prospects.

-NYU's three year curriculum is new, so I will be a guinea pig to some extent. That being said, the class before me is doing 1-year preclinical and says its fine, and clerkships are clerkships...

-The inability to do electives/sub-Is/away rotations before residency applications could make it harder to network and find strong letter writers. This could also make it a bit harder to narrow specialty interests since I'm currently undecided, although obviously it would be best to know what I want to go into after clerkships.

-Graded clerkships and preclinical grades apparently play some minor role in AOA selection, although students say nobody is really gunning in preclinical.

-anatomy is not as robust, you don't do full dissections

Duke

Pros:

-Everything is pass fail, which seems really nice

-Match list is great, maybe a tiny bit weaker than Penn but a bit stronger than NYU

-Curriculum structure is 1 year preclinical; 1 year clerkships; 1 year research; 1 year sub-Is, away rotations, electives etc. This makes the curricular structure effectively the same as NYU + a research year (which I would plan to take there) and therefore comes with the same pros AND cons

-Student body: seem very chill and tight knit

-Duke is a research powerhouse, I'm interested in academic medicine

-the basketball culture seems fun

-research year would boost residency applications

Cons:

-Cost: 140k COA

-clinical training: May not get exposure to as broad of a patient population or clinical sites as at NYU

-location: As good as Philly for my partner, but worse than NYC

Penn

Pros:

-match list is really strong and has been for a long time

-the research opportunities are really strong

-student body seems cool, although perhaps less tight knit than Duke and NYU

-Location: Philly is kind of cool, I could see myself living there and enjoying it

-Curriculum structure (1.5 years preclinical, 1 year clinical, 1.5 years misc.) would allow me to get advanced clinical experiences prior to residency apps, which would be good for career exploration and forming valuable connections with attending

-Grading is basically the same as NYU (ungraded preclinical, graded clinical), so comes with the associated pros and cons. In terms of grading system, I'd say Duke > NYU = Penn

-great hospitals that are all close to one another

Cons:

-Cost: 280k COA (could come down, negotiating)

-Not affiliated with any public/safety net hospitals, unlike NYU

-Lots of people spend five years because there isn't a ton of dedicated research time, unlike Duke (research year) and NYU (optional fourth year)

Members don't see this ad.

NYU. Neither Duke nor Penn warrant 6-figure debt when NYU is free.

If there’s rumors about it being gunner-y, theres probably some truth. But still, go NYU.

Reactions: 3 users
NYU. It’s free and match lists vary year-by-year, and also, most top-tier schools do have gunners and if you’re extremely concerned with that toxic environment, perhaps Duke would your second option with P/F everything, which saves a lot more stress than you think. Props to a great cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: eliminated Duke, Penn COA is down from 280k to 140k.

For context, I'm not super interested in any overly competitive specialties at the moment (although my exposure is limited). More thinking an IM subspecialty like cardio/gastro/onc in an academic setting. Would like to be able to match into a my top choice IM residency if I pursue that route.

For context, I'm not super interested in any overly competitive specialties at the moment (although my exposure is limited). More thinking an IM subspecialty like cardio/gastro/onc in an academic setting. Would like to be able to match into a my top choice IM residency if I pursue that route.
Full disclosure I’m on the WL for NYU and even I would recommend choosing NYU😂 140k difference is still a lot (to me)

Are you factoring in COL expenses as well? I know lots of friends at NYU SOM who are gonna end up close to 75K debt
NYU gives out a few scholarships that cover the COL with a generous stipend. Even if they didn't, you would have to consider the COL for every school in addition to its tuition. $75,000 is nothing. GO. TO. NYU.

NYU all the way. It's an amazing school and it's FREE. There's literally no beating it.

Reaffirmed that NYU is better, but Duke should be your runner-up option due to its home programs and P/F.