Duke vs Brown premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go for premed

• Brown

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Duke

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters

air_cleats

Reaction score
Hi, so I am looking for places to ED and have narrowed it down to Brown and Duke. However, a lot of people have said that Brown classes are very inflated, and additionally a few people say Duke's science curves are quite harsh. Does anybody who has experience studying premed at either of these schools (or a similar school) know anything more about this? Some people have said Brown's science classes aren't actually as inflated as all their other classes, but I don't know whether this is true or not. Does anybody know whether the curves at Duke are also harsh? And overall, where do you think I should ED at? I am looking to major in Biology most likely. I think the research opps/volunteering/etc. are relatively the same so I am unsure whether that would be a deciding factor.

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are excellent. Which school feels like a better fit for you? Which would you attend if you were not premed?

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools are excellent. Which school feels like a better fit for you? Which would you attend if you were not premed?
So I enjoy sports a lot and I would like Duke because of that. However, I have heard the social scene at Duke is quite stratified so I am pretty unsure. I also believe that the food at Duke is a lot better (might be a stupid thing to find important haha), so I am leaning towards Duke in that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since both schools are so good, you should go where you think you will be happier. Duke and Brown are quite different, though—South vs New England, sports vs arts, more structured curriculum vs individual. Either will give you a great chance at medical school.

Since both schools are so good, you should go where you think you will be happier. Duke and Brown are quite different, though—South vs New England, sports vs arts, more structured curriculum vs individual. Either will give you a great chance at medical school.
THIS^^^^^^. Being happy is extremely underrated for people in your position when choosing UGs.

A TON of premeds find themselves weeded out along the way, for a variety of reasons, even at schools with huge grade inflation. Physical distance from overbearing parents and exposure to a whole world heretofore undiscovered are big reasons, besides bad grades in tough classes at tough schools.

The happier you are, the better you will do, whether or not you go on to med school. Being so strategic that all of your choices revolve around one expected future outcome backfires at least as often as it works out. As @LunaOri is saying, trust your gut. Everything else will take care of itself.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, so I am looking for places to ED and have narrowed it down to Brown and Duke. However, a lot of people have said that Brown classes are very inflated, and additionally a few people say Duke's science curves are quite harsh. Does anybody who has experience studying premed at either of these schools (or a similar school) know anything more about this? Some people have said Brown's science classes aren't actually as inflated as all their other classes, but I don't know whether this is true or not. Does anybody know whether the curves at Duke are also harsh? And overall, where do you think I should ED at? I am looking to major in Biology most likely. I think the research opps/volunteering/etc. are relatively the same so I am unsure whether that would be a deciding factor.
Did you go to a easier HS or competitive HS? Yes, getting good GPA will be tougher at Duke than Brown. so if you went to a competitive HS and didn't struggle to get As then you will be fine at Duke.

Did you go to a easier HS or competitive HS? Yes, getting good GPA will be tougher at Duke than Brown. so if you went to a competitive HS and didn't struggle to get As then you will be fine at Duke.
Yeah, I go to a notoriously competitive high school.

Yeah, I go to a notoriously competitive high school.
Then you are fine at either school. however doing ED is a bad decision. You can try to get money from T20 schools by not doing ED.

Last edited:
You could always try SCEA at HYP and then apply to a bunch RD to compare financial packages

You could always try SCEA at HYP and then apply to a bunch RD to compare financial packages
I would do that, but it is a lot more risky than ED because when discounting legacy and recruiting, SCEA barely helps. I don't want to end up in a scenario where I get rejected SCEA then rejected RD for everything, so I think ED would be safer, although it would give me less money

Last edited:
I would do that, but it is a lot more risky than ED because when discounting legacy and recruiting, SCEA barely helps. I don't want to end up in a scenario where I get rejected SCEA then rejected RD for everything, so I think ED would be safer, although it would give me less money
You shouldn't be focusing on one or two schools. Any top 20 or 30 schools are good for a premed, so apply broadly and then decide based on the acceptances you get.

Are the schools using SAT this cycle by chance? Could be a factor in your decision. I would say if you have to pick between the two and you’re definitely set on med school apply to brown. If not apply to duke.
Also consider BS/MD programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the schools using SAT this cycle by chance? Could be a factor in your decision. I would say if you have to pick between the two and you’re definitely set on med school apply to brown. If not apply to duke.
Also consider BS/MD programs
Almost every school except for UC's (test-blind) are test optional this year. I have a 1550 so I think I should have a high enough SAT for both Brown and Duke. If you can, could you explain why you would choose Brown?

I think that Brown’s grading system and academic requirements make the school easier to get a high GPA compared to Duke. For med school, GPA and MCAT are the most important factors. Ceterus parius, the best school is the one where you can get the best grades. Keep in mind that “fit” will be an important factor in determining where you can perform the best. Duke and Brown seem like polar opposites in terms of environment. From what I’ve heard, Duke is comparable to Princeton or UPenn whereas Brown may be more comparable to Williams or Berkeley.

Although controversial on here, I do believe that undergrad prestige is somewhat important (especially for T20’s). But I (and most Adcoms) wouldn’t even be able to differentiate between Brown and Duke.

I think that Brown’s grading system and academic requirements make the school easier to get a high GPA compared to Duke. For med school, GPA and MCAT are the most important factors. Ceterus parius, the best school is the one where you can get the best grades. Keep in mind that “fit” will be an important factor in determining where you can perform the best. Duke and Brown seem like polar opposites in terms of environment. From what I’ve heard, Duke is comparable to Princeton or UPenn whereas Brown may be more comparable to Williams or Berkeley.

Although controversial on here, I do believe that undergrad prestige is somewhat important (especially for T20’s). But I (and most Adcoms) wouldn’t even be able to differentiate between Brown and Duke.
I was also thinking this. Do you know whether Brown's science classes are also generously curved?

I don’t even think there is a curve at brown. Princeton and Cornell are really the only Ivys known for having a harsh curve. If you want to DM me with more specific stats and get an opinion on your application strength, feel free

I don’t even think there is a curve at brown. Princeton and Cornell are really the only Ivys known for having a harsh curve. If you want to DM me with more specific stats and get an opinion on your application strength, feel free
U Chicago and Duke are other T20 schools known for grade deflation.

Pre-med at either school will be tough. I would pick neither! :rofl:

Pre-med at either school will be tough. I would pick neither! :rofl:
This, yeah yeah prestige this and prestige that, but being the top 1% at an average state school gives you lots of generous opportunities and usually a good selection of labs for you too fancy. Looking back I almost certainly wouldn't have done nearly as well at a school with known grade deflation (and filled with other gunners).

@air_cleats word has it that Brown's premed journey is much more relaxed

Despite comments saying "go where you'll be happiest", having a good academic life that is not unnecessarily stressful is actually the most practical / productive predictor of happiness and good mental health.

Reactions: 2 users
So I enjoy sports a lot and I would like Duke because of that. However, I have heard the social scene at Duke is quite stratified so I am pretty unsure. I also believe that the food at Duke is a lot better (might be a stupid thing to find important haha), so I am leaning towards Duke in that regard.
Can confirm, food at Duke is amazing. Selling point for me.