Duke vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent20135

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between away electives at Duke vs. Hopkins. I know that they are both very strong. I am ambivalent to the location.

Are there significant differences between the two in terms of 1) clinical training 2) research opportunities 3) department trajectory and 4) academic job placement?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

bump

I know that people might be uncomfortable comparing two programs. If they are similar, that would be useful information for me too. I just want to make sure that I don't make the wrong decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

I know that people might be uncomfortable comparing two programs. If they are similar, that would be useful information for me too. I just want to make sure that I don't make the wrong decision.

My disclaimer is that I have no first hand knowledge of these two programs. However, based on what I heard out on the trail I'd second Gfunk's opinion that they are similar. I know you say you are ambivalent about location, but honestly that is the biggest difference between these two. Hopkins is in the ghetto part of Baltimore, while Duke is in a southern state in a nicer area.

For what its worth, I'd put Hopkins above duke. In my rankings post I put Hopkins at 9, and duke at 11. Hopkins currently has "top 10" chatter about it, while Duke has "amazing, top tier" chatter.

Good luck with the decision!

I too think they are rather equivalent and both clear top tier programs. I interviewed at John Hopkins and rotated at Duke and was very impressed by both programs. I feel that at both programs you will be trained very well and have great academic opportunities. For what it is worth, based on location (Durham>Baltimore for me and my circumstances) and my experience rotating at Duke I ended up ranking Duke higher. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about my experiences at both programs.

Last edited:
One of the quirkier things about Hopkins is that it's name carries a lot of weight. In the tiny community of rad oncs that can differentiate, maybe there are several programs that are considered better. But, to an HR person or a hospital administrator that will later get to advertise the new Hopkins doctor that they have hired.. that gets 'em excited. Having had to work with them as a community doc, the non-surgeons made me want to pull my hair out...