Duke vs Penn vs Michigan vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Duke

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • Penn

Votes: 55 45.8%
  • Michigan

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Pitt

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrinkSKYY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waitlisted at Duke and Penn, accepted into Michigan (already went for undergrad) and Pitt...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get an offer from Penn, you will not regret aceepting it.

I doubt that you'd regret accepting any of those offers. I went to Penn undergrad and will likely be at Michigan for medschool. They're both great. If I were in your shoes I might be inclined to try out a new place, but Michigan is pretty tough to turn down! The Wolverines received my vote. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
SailCrazy said:
I doubt that you'd regret accepting any of those offers. I went to Penn undergrad and will likely be at Michigan for medschool. They're both great. If I were in your shoes I might be inclined to try out a new place, but Michigan is pretty tough to turn down! The Wolverines received my vote. :thumbup:

Yeah - it's a tough call to make (I'll be the first to admit I'm fortunate to be in a position to consider attending these great schools). One more consideration - Michigan gives great financial aid - sometime later around early april they will show me a a financial aid package. During my interview I spoke with the director of admissions - anyone who has visited Michigan knows he is a great guy. Anyways, Michigan's been working for the past two years to secure an endowment to pay for students' tuition - they're already halfway to their goal of making tuition free...the director said that within the next 2 - 5 years Michigan should be able to extend aid to elimate tuition costs. I think it's odd that more top tier schools haven't pushed to elimate tuition costs...If Michigan can get it done in so short a time, you'd have to wonder about Harvard...then again, I'm not sure Harvard has to worry all that much about becoming any more appealing than they already are. Also, Michigan has the largest alumni population of any school, so they do have more potential contributors. I do think that Michigan's move to elimate tuition costs should make the school more appealing to the top candidates, perhaps persuading some Harvard/Hopkins admits to head to Ann Arbor - seems like a good plan to me.

Also, I think it's a little ironic that the better schools tend often times to be the cheaper ones. I've noticed lately that when I tell people "I'm considering Duke" or "I'm thinking about Penn" they mention how expensive those places must be...the reality is, going to a small D.O. school might cost a great deal more than any of the these supposed big-name schools, just because they don't have the capital to cover students to the same degree...just funny how the world works.

Wow, Michigan is going to make their tuition free for all students? Damn that is pretty enticing. Do you have any links to this information or anything, DrinkSKYY? Or was it just hearsay? And also do you know if it applies to OOS students/In state students/both? Really though I would be very impressed if Michigan ended up doing exactly that.

Great job on getting into two great med schools and waitlisted at two others. I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up. I voted Michigan btw, but that's more state pride than anything. :laugh:

Charles Murphy said:
Wow, Michigan is going to make their tuition free for all students? Damn that is pretty enticing. Do you have any links to this information or anything, DrinkSKYY? Or was it just hearsay? And also do you know if it applies to OOS students/In state students/both? Really though I would be very impressed if Michigan ended up doing exactly that.

Great job on getting into two great med schools and waitlisted at two others. I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up. I voted Michigan btw, but that's more state pride than anything. :laugh:

Thanks for being supportive. I don't have any links or documentation regarding this info, but I can tell you it came straight from the direct of admission - he told me so during an in-person conversation. He didn't specify whether it applied to OSS or just ISS, but I got the feeling from the conversation it applied to everyone. I believe Mayo already does this, thought their class is considerably smaller.

Charles Murphy said:
Wow, Michigan is going to make their tuition free for all students? Damn that is pretty enticing.
They're still in the process of raising the money. Unfortuantely they aren't going to ge free for this year's class (or likely the next few.) When discussion the big fundraising campaign, the quote on my interview day was something like "this probably won't be done in time to apply to any of you, but..."

SailCrazy said:
They're still in the process of raising the money. Unfortuantely they aren't going to ge free for this year's class (or likely the next few.) When discussion the big fundraising campaign, the quote on my interview day was something like "this probably won't be done in time to apply to any of you, but..."

Hence the 2-5 year timeline....I imagine it should help their rankings, given that a higher number of people will likely then apply (and be rejected). Guess I can't help but want the best for Michigan, seeing as how I'm an alum.