Duke waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else on Duke's waitlist who knows more about it than I do? I know that they don't start taking people until after May 15, but does anyone know approximately how many people they have on the list or how many typically get in (or any other info.) ?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the search function is down right now, but there are a bunch of threads from last year on this topic, containing lots of info. Check em out, especially if you want to get an idea of when people got in.

Unfortunately though, no one really knows much about Duke's waitlist, aside from those working in admissions themselves. I was lucky enough to get in off the waitlist last year, and from talking to my classmates I figure that there are somewhere between 7-10 of us, but it varies from class to class. Some got in right after May 15th, and some got in only a few days before classes started in early August!

I've also heard that the list is AT LEAST 100 applicants long, and that it's solidly ranked, meaning that sending letters, etc. won't necessarily help you. But I sent letters and stuff anyway, becuase I figured it couldn't hurt, and I really really loved Duke, so I had to give it a try. Honestly, I don't know if it helped. And I don't know if this information is accurate either...it sucks that they won't divulge any info.

They're so tight-lipped about it that they can't even tell you if you're in the top or bottom half of the list! I found this really frustrating and unfair, but c'est la vie.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with the waitlist! Hopefully you won't have to wait until July like I did!

bump. any news of waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Today, being May 15th, would be the first possible day for movement at Duke to occur. Last year someone got in within a few days of the 15th, so it could start any moment! (maybe it already has!)

I've been waitlisted at Duke as well and I really, really want to go there. I called the school twice already and they're really hush-hush about the whole waitlist status. So, my word of advice is don't even bother to call. Furthermore, you don't want to risk angering them. When I called, they didn't seem too happy being harrassed by eager beaver waitlisted applicants. Good luck to you!

bump. any movement at all? someone out there must have been called... please post.

good news guys... it is finally moving. i just found out last week that i got in off the alternate list via snail mail. i also managed to finagle some information from wendy a few weeks ago. i think 15-20 usually get in off the alternate list (this number really varies for duke from year to year). it's a slow process and does continue all the way until late julyish. finally, like calmlyetched said, they don't like being bothered. you can't really change where you are on the alternate list. if you've done something cool though (e.g. published or found the cure for AIDS), you could send a short letter updating them. good luck... hopefully i'll see you guys in durham.

I too am on the waitlist and hoping to get in. Today I got a financial aid package from Duke which is strange because I haven't been accepted yet.... Did this happen to anyone else?

Lipid: Have you gotten a financial aid award letter yet?

I'm hoping this is a sign of good news to come, but it may just be a fluke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meros, did you call the Admissions Office to find out the deal with your getting a package but not having received an acceptance yet? I'm wondering because that's VERY strange! I hope that means you got in though!

Anyone else get good news from Duke recently?? :)