Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellokittymd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who interviewed at Duke would share their impression... as I try to mold my rank list some input would be helpful. Also- does anyone have a listing of where Duke residents match for fellowships? I did not get one on interview day. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke was a program that I really liked. I had the feel that the residents and attendings there were as intellectual as any I found on the interview trail. I did think that you are going to work VERY hard your 1st year. I am not that pro on living in Durham, so will not rank them in my top 3, but I did like the program a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just browsing through the archives, but thought I'd provide what I could offer.

Cardiology: Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic (x2), Duke (x2), UAB, UVa, Emory, U of Mich, Hopkins, U of Wash, Cornell, William Beaumont (Detroit), Ochsner (New Orleans)

GI: Duke (x2), Pitt (x2)

ID: Duke (x2), U of Wash

Pulm: Duke, Boston U

Nephro: Duke, Penn

Hem/Onc: Duke (x2), Sloan-Kett (x2), U of Wash, MD Anderson, Stanford, UNC

Rheum: Pitt, Hopkins, UCLA

Endo: Duke

I just checked Duke housestaff lists. I am a bit surprised to see many FMG in the program (I have nothing against FMG). I doubt that they had any problem filling their spots...By the way, is the the fellowship placement list from last year? Or does it reflect the overall past placement? They did pretty well in GI and cardiology. Two going to Pitts and Duke for GI fellowship~that's wow.

june015b said:
I just checked Duke housestaff lists. I am a bit surprised to see many FMG in the program (I have nothing against FMG). I doubt that they had any problem filling their spots...By the way, is the the fellowship placement list from last year? Or does it reflect the overall past placement? They did pretty well in GI and cardiology. Two going to Pitts and Duke, respectively~wow

You should be surprised in a good way to see so many FMG's at Duke. Duke is somewhat anomalous in the US in that, if you are the best, they will look at you. Period. US grads with 200/200 on their steps and average recs should not be offended that they, as US grads, did not get interviewed, whereas an FMG did, because, I can assure you, the foreign grad has the numbers, brain, skills, and personality to back it up, just like the American grads do. There is a bit of a pipeline with the American University of Beirut, because the AUB grads have done remarkably well at Duke in the past, and have a solid educational base.