duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People who vehemently want to come off the WAITLIST: FemalesCANTDriv, husky0684

Desperate is such an ugly word...:cool:

here's to a few more months of counting down...no need to keep an actual countdown this time around..

HAHA... how about people who would LOVE :love: to come off of the waitlist: FemalesCANTDriv, husky0684

Ya we will start the countdown once we hit May :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlist in boston. mailed last wednesday, and took 4 days of first class mail (accurate from USPS website).

Any current Dukies know when the scholarships for entering students are awarded?

biggiesteve said:
I received the manila packet yesterday, but still haven't heard anything (via e-mail or o/w) about 2nd Look. So hopefully there's still a chance for those yet to hear anything.

You have given me hope. :oops:

Any current Dukies know when the scholarships for entering students are awarded?

Remember the meeting we had with the Dean? This year the only merit scholarships are for women and minorities, I believe.

Remember the meeting we had with the Dean? This year the only merit scholarships are for women and minorities, I believe.

There's three half-tuition Haas scholarships open to everyone. Makes for pretty slim odds though....

Wonderful. Just great.

What's up with those Haas awards? I didn't remember hearing anything about that. That being said, I was really tired during interview day so I wasn't listening very well...

Correction -- just for minorities! (I wish for women too, but no such luck. I suppose that's appropriate, as women are by no means underrepresented in medicine currently. It's good that we all recognize that. But I'd take unfair gender-based money in a second if it were offering. :rolleyes: )

Of course, there are a few half-tuition scholarships (Haas or whatever they're called) for the rest.

In a thread from last year, somebody called by the end of April (maybe? definitely before 15 May) and confirmed that all merit scholarships had been offered by then.

Just got a rejection letter, dated 3/6...good luck everyone else

i also got the rejection letter today

Members don't see this ad :)
Add me to the list of people who vehemently want to get off the waitlist.

I got my waitlist notification in the mail today, dated Mar 6th. However, I think I have a really good chance of getting in. In my letter they wrote:

"We were enormously impressed with you as a scholar and as a prospective physician, and we sincerely hope you will accept this position."

They must have really liked me.

Add me to the list of people who vehemently want to get off the waitlist.

I got my waitlist notification in the mail today, dated Mar 6th. However, I think I have a really good chance of getting in. In my letter they wrote:

"We were enormously impressed with you as a scholar and as a prospective physician, and we sincerely hope you will accept this position."

They must have really liked me.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought you should know that, according to MrBurns10, everyone (including me!) gets the same waitlist letter.
I was enormously impressed at first too...

I think he was probably trying to employ sarcasm there, Soydelish... btw, I love soy too... and I got the same letter. But we can still feel impressed with ourselves :).

I think he was probably trying to employ sarcasm there, Soydelish... btw, I love soy too... and I got the same letter. But we can still feel impressed with ourselves :).

He probably was using sarcasm... but you can still feel encouraged by the waitlist not being a rejection letter. With most places, waitlist is 99% probable rejection. You at least have to admire the fact that Duke doesn't string people along whom they have no intention of admitting.

Except me -- they still haven't sent me any word at all! I'm rather expecting a rejection, of course, but I'm hoping to find out soon one way or the other.

Waitlisted. Postmarked date: 03/08, Received 03/12 in MA.

Ah, I take it back. Waitlist arrived at my home of record in Texas. Still better than I was expecting!

Waitlist here as well. I'm relieved to have an actual letter in my hand. Now I can stop anticipating the 5 PM mail shift everyday and get some work done.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought you should know that, according to MrBurns10, everyone (including me!) gets the same waitlist letter.
I was enormously impressed at first too...

*wink*

I wasn't trying to use any mean sarcasm... it was meant to be some creative commentary on one of the things that only us 40,000 med school applicants can understand: the sheer joy or sheer deflation that can be inflicted by a form letter.

Maybe I ought to include sheet in-between-edness, too.

Waitlisted as well :( (although I this point I feared worse)

Add me to list of those who would absolutely love get off the waitlist!

Rejected (dated March 6). That one hurt the worst. I was expecting a waitlist.

anyone know how many of us there are on the waitlist? ya, add me to the people who desperately want to get off the waitlist as well!

Hey Females, you have single-handedly kept this thread alive through good times and bad times. If anyone deserved to get in based on spirit, it would have to be you. I'm off for spring break so I don't know if I've been rejected or what, but add me to the waitlist peeps as well.

Sorry to hear that. You have SICK stats. How did your interview day go?

Thanks. I thought the interview went ok, but the questions were so off the wall that I couldn't get a good read on either one of my interviewers.

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

You can definitely add me to the "desperately-wanting-to-get-in" waitlist, females.

i think females is on spring break, so we might not hear from him in a while?
Enjoy! Relax!:cool:

Duke Stats for Class of 2011

Acceptances: 20 (AnEyeLikeMars, sister of kmpedro, urmd2007, JohnMadden, new_doc, BetterNBest, HumbleMD, thebeast, Natytilly, EmbellisMaVie, Grace2002, Stolenspatulas, yummysushi, WitchDoctor, dreamersmelody, CaramelDlie, yomama'sdoctor, gopherthegold, Big XII Fanatic, Dr Durden)

People who want to desperately come off the WAITLIST: FemalesCANTDrive, Husky 0684, Hednej, Ryandote, afterthought, Corranh314

SDN Member in charge of Duke Admissions: RWallace

Since Femlaes isn't here anymore, just add yourself to the list. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

He probably was using sarcasm... but you can still feel encouraged by the waitlist not being a rejection letter. With most places, waitlist is 99% probable rejection. You at least have to admire the fact that Duke doesn't string people along whom they have no intention of admitting.

Except me -- they still haven't sent me any word at all! I'm rather expecting a rejection, of course, but I'm hoping to find out soon one way or the other.

What makes you say that Duke isn't stringing us waitlisted people along? Does anyone happen to know (or can make educated guesses about) how many people get off the waitlist usually?

What makes you say that Duke isn't stringing us waitlisted people along? Does anyone happen to know (or can make educated guesses about) how many people get off the waitlist usually?

No one knows. Last year it was hypothesized that there were about 100 people on the waitlist (although that was never confirmed by admissions). I'd say somewhere around 20 people get off. Not bad odds. If Duke wanted to string people along, they wouldn't send out so many rejections post interview.

No one knows. Last year it was hypothesized that there were about 100 people on the waitlist (although that was never confirmed by admissions). I'd say somewhere around 20 people get off. Not bad odds. If Duke wanted to string people along, they wouldn't send out so many rejections post interview.

That's interesting. Somebody on this thread had previously stated that Duke accepted around 200 people total last year. For some reason, I was thinking that they wouldn't overbook the class, but would offer spots as they came available.

Your comment above makes it sound like they offered about 80 more slots than they even had, and then had an extra 20 to fill when all was said and done. Interesting.

I wonder if med schools ever get burned offering more acceptances than seats....

That's interesting. Somebody on this thread had previously stated that Duke accepted around 200 people total last year. For some reason, I was thinking that they wouldn't overbook the class, but would offer spots as they came available.

Your comment above makes it sound like they offered about 80 more slots than they even had, and then had an extra 20 to fill when all was said and done. Interesting.

I wonder if med schools ever get burned offering more acceptances than seats....

Like I said, I really have no idea, I'm just guessing 20 based on how many waitlistees I can think of in my class. But there could be more than I can think of, and more could have come off and decided not to matriculate.

A couple of years ago, one school (I want to say UMich but I'm not sure) ended up waaay overbooked and started offering students a free year of tuition if they deferred for a year.

I think I remember the dean at BU saying that happened last year or the year before (or maybe I'm making that up?).

In any case, the formulas they use seem to be pretty accurate. I assume they accept fewer than they could probably get away with just to be on the safe side, expecting to later pull some from the waitlist.

Like I said, I really have no idea, I'm just guessing 20 based on how many waitlistees I can think of in my class. But there could be more than I can think of, and more could have come off and decided not to matriculate.

A couple of years ago, one school (I want to say UMich but I'm not sure) ended up waaay overbooked and started offering students a free year of tuition if they deferred for a year.

Yep, it was UMich. They totally underestimated themselves.

I was waitlisted at Duke last year and set a bunch of updates and yadda yadda letters...no dice

Just the fact that they actually are sending rejections at this point, which most places aren't doing.

So maybe I should have said that they aren't stringing as many people along. :laugh:

Just the fact that they actually are sending rejections at this point, which most places aren't doing.

So maybe I should have said that they aren't stringing as many people along. :laugh:
Guys, this thread is getting too long, so I'm going to close it. (We close all threads after 1000 posts to keep the server from getting overloaded.) But please feel free to open a Duke Part II thread, and good luck to everyone waiting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.