duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crash2500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to attend duke's elitist school after that lack of class that their basketball team and head coach showed yesterday in their loss to North Carolina. It wouldn't matter much but all of their students are defending the incident which is dumbfounding, trying to say their team shouldn't be punished for sending a "forearm shiver" to a player on an opposing team and breaking his nose. I am still awaiting to hear from duke but now i really dont care. I would never go there only to turn in to an elitist "dookie" and be totally ignorant to the outside world. You may not care now and say "hey i just want to get a great education," but going to duke and becoming a "dookie" are not a dislocated matter.

Members don't see this ad.

If they offer me a fullride scholarship, I will go.

Wait... what happened yesterday?

No idea what happened, but I'd go to Duke in a heartbeat... Strong school, beautiful campus, low cost of living, mountains to the west, beach to the east, Research Triangle Park, pick up an MBA in MS-4. And I'd still become a Cameron Crazie!

What happened? Some sore losership going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually the "sore losership" was on duke and duke's coach's part. nice try tho. go to any major sports page and you are surely to read about it on the front page.

actually the "sore losership" was on duke and duke's coach's part. nice try tho. go to any major sports page and you are surely to read about it on the front page.
It's not on goduke.com :laugh:

And no, I wasn't defending the team or Coach K or implying it was UNC who acted lame, so nice try on the nice try. Yeah, their team's pissed me off lately. Bring back the 2001 team.

Edit: OK, so Henderson threw an elbow in midair as Hansbrough's rebounded his own free throw and went for a layup. Accidental or intentional? And why let any of their athletics teams negatively influence the quality of the academics or research? :confused: Geez, at least they're D1.

[YOUTUBE]C04fSlYTGzI[/YOUTUBE]

Check it out for yerself...

I don't care if he did it intentionally or not, I still hate Duke.

Dally, Dally, Dally, I'm only going to say it one more time.

terps.jpg

I'm from MARYLAND and nobody can beat me.

Here's to sweeping Tobacco Road this season!!!!

The medical center and the basketball team have nothing to do with each other. To suggest that Duke students can be represented by a few wild players or even wild fans is ridiculous. You can hate Duke all you want.... but don't hate DukeMed over a basketball foul that broke someone's nose. That would be like hating Harvard is they lost to Yale in football.

Anyone who declines an offer from Duke med school because of yesterday's incident will have proven that Duke made an mistake in offering that applicant admission and the adcom at Duke should be relieved that such an applicant will not matriculate there.

:confused:

If you can follow that -- good for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah but thats why you just don't apply to schools you wouldnt want to go to..

The medical center and the basketball team have nothing to do with each other. To suggest that Duke students can be represented by a few wild players or even wild fans is ridiculous. You can hate Duke all you want.... but don't hate DukeMed over a basketball foul that broke someone's nose. That would be like hating Harvard is they lost to Yale in football.

That is a stretch. Harvard football isnt the tradition at Harvard that duke basketball is at duke. Duke basketball plays a major role in the publicity that duke gets in the media. To support such a classless program and a classless coach degrades one as a human. I never said one word against DukeMed so don't put words in my mouth. You are acting like a classic "dookie." However, it is ironic that there are probably medical school students at Duke, not all but many, that want to help people but still think yesterday's incident was nothing out of the ordinary.

I wouldn't go to Duke even if it was the best medical school in the world. I mean let's be honest, if you were chief of staff at a hospital would you hire a Dookie? Their docs prolly go around elbowing their patients in the noses.

Pontifex, I have a feeling this is the start of a beautiful friendship. :)

Why would anyone want to attend duke's elitist school after that lack of class that their basketball team and head coach showed yesterday in their loss to North Carolina. It wouldn't matter much but all of their students are defending the incident which is dumbfounding, trying to say their team shouldn't be punished for sending a "forearm shiver" to a player on an opposing team and breaking his nose. I am still awaiting to hear from duke but now i really dont care. I would never go there only to turn in to an elitist "dookie" and be totally ignorant to the outside world. You may not care now and say "hey i just want to get a great education," but going to duke and becoming a "dookie" are not a dislocated matter.

haha you have no idea what you're talking about. As someone who follows Duke basketball very closely, I know that Gerald Henderson is NOT a dirty player. He never talks back to the refs, he never gets into it with other players, he hardly commits hard fouls. I can completely understand our players getting frustrated last night...Hansbrough should NOT have been going up for the put-back up 15 points with 15 seconds left. Having said that though, I still believe Henderson went to commit a hard foul (which happens in basketball all the time) but did not mean to actually hit him in the face. But you know what? Even if he did intentionally do it (which he didn't), that's not a reason to villify an entire community. It's just like with the lacrosse case (which by the way, they didn't do either). Even if they had done it, that's not a representation of the entire Duke community.

As Cameron Crazies, we are not allowed to say cuss words. Coach K specifically will not allow us to chant "bull****!" like every other school does when they disagree with a bad call. We don't say anything about a player's family or anything like that. You want to talk about a lack of class? Go to a Maryland game. When fans chant "f*** you JJ" and "You suck!" and scream to a player that they've had sex with his sister...that's classless. Not to mention not creative at all :)

let the thread begin!

Yeah but what does basketball have to do with med school? :laugh: :laugh:

I absolutely loathe duke basketball, but I would never turn down a Duke Med acceptance

^I agree, I've been a tarheel fan all my life, but this "I hate Duke BBall so I hate Duke in general" type BS is just stupid.

As Cameron Crazies, we are not allowed to say cuss words. Coach K specifically will not allow us to chant "bull****!" like every other school does when they disagree with a bad call. We don't say anything about a player's family or anything like that. You want to talk about a lack of class? Go to a Maryland game. When fans chant "f*** you JJ" and "You suck!" and scream to a player that they've had sex with his sister...that's classless. Not to mention not creative at all :)

let the thread begin!

once again typical dookie. I was at the duke/unc game at cameron and your number one cheer is for everybody in the entire stadium to point at someone wearing north carolina apparell and chant "go to hell carolina!" This was even done to a little boy sitting with his parents who was not more than 10 years old. On another occasion a duke fan took a north carolina fan's hat and threw it to the lower level and it was tossed around the entire stadium. thats classFULL huh?

Real "creative" when all you have to do is read off of a cheer sheet...

Duke vs. Maryland
Cameron Indoor Stadium
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Basics

• We welcome Maryland to town. They defeated us last year in the championship game of the ACC Tournament, but now it's time for redemption.

• Recently, Maryland's student fans have been getting nationally berated for their crass and crude behavior (you might remember being able to here (sic) their taunts of "F-You, J.J.." on television at the Duke Maryland game in College Park last year, and a couple years before that when their fans threw trash at the Duke bench resulting in Carlos Boozer's mom receiving a concussion). This is our chance to distinguish ourselves from them, so let's be creative, but classy.

• Cameron should never EVER be quiet. During timeouts, stoppages, halftime, etc., do something. Make up cheers. Make noise. If you are behind Maryland's bench, make all kinds of noise during their timeouts. We're on national television. Prove again that we are the best fans in the country. Period.

The No-No's

• D.J. Strawberry is entirely off-limits. NO EXCEPTIONS. Just don't go there. We're classier than that.

• Cameron Security has asked us to remind you not to bring food, drink, or bags into the stadium.

The Dirt on Our Opponent: University of Maryland Terrapins

• Fodder for your cheering creativity.

• Although he is no longer on the team, taunts concerning the ugliness of Steve Blake are still acceptable.

• Maryland likes to think they're our rival, but our rival is Carolina. Don't forget the staple chants of "Not our rival!" or "We're not rivals!"

• Maryland uses the slogan "Fear the turtle" but we prefer "Smear the turtle."

• To draw distinctions between us and Maryland, we can chant "We don't riot" or "We don't throw stuff."

• The UMD Head Coach is Gary Williams: he tends to sweat, a lot. The standard chant is "Sweat Gary, Sweat!" (Two years ago he was so angered by this chant that he flicked off the student section.)

• If (when) Gary gets angry and red in the face, we can chant "Gary needs a hug!"

• We can point to Coach K and say "Sure" and then to Gary and say "Unsure."

• Gary Williams hates being referred to as the ACC's "second Williams" now that UNC has Roy-Will.

• For Maryland's midnight madness, Gary drove out to center court in a NASCAR race car. We could chant "Where's your racecar?"

• No. 22, Nik Caner-Medley: Was recently arrested in Portland Main (sic) for drink and disorderly conduct. According to the newspaper: "'Caner-Medley was there, yelling,' said Lt. Malloch, reading from the police report. 'He took his shirt off and threatened to assault (the complainant). (Caner-Medley's) friends were trying to restrain him. He was intoxicated and made a statement, 'I'm from Maryland, and nobody can beat me.'"

• NCM's girlfriend is named Myra, and her pet name for him is "Piggy."

• NCM was arrested at a bar called "The Old Port" and is prohibited from returning.

• A previous cheer we've used for NCM is "Three names, no game!"

• NCM's major is "Letters and Sciences"

• No. 11, John Gilchrist: Gilchrist and Gary have been having personal problems recently (stemming from Gilchrist's desire to leave early for the NBA). Gilchrist has also been having academic issues.

• No. 13, Chris McCray: Second in the ACC in free-throw shooting percentage behind J.J. ("J.J.'s still better.")

• No. 23, Mike Jones: heavily hyped player out of high school, but hasn't lived up to the hype and is very sensitive about it. Lots of talk surrounding him about transferring. Very sensitive to the media talk and Internet message boards

Look up Myron Piggie if you don't know who he is.

That is all I have to say.

haha you have no idea what you're talking about. As someone who follows Duke basketball very closely, I know that Gerald Henderson is NOT a dirty player. He never talks back to the refs, he never gets into it with other players, he hardly commits hard fouls. I can completely understand our players getting frustrated last night...Hansbrough should NOT have been going up for the put-back up 15 points with 15 seconds left. Having said that though, I still believe Henderson went to commit a hard foul (which happens in basketball all the time) but did not mean to actually hit him in the face. But you know what? Even if he did intentionally do it (which he didn't), that's not a reason to villify an entire community. It's just like with the lacrosse case (which by the way, they didn't do either). Even if they had done it, that's not a representation of the entire Duke community.

let the thread begin!

The "Cameron Crazies" are the most overrated group of fans in the nation. I was at one Duke game (to see the Terps play) and I could not believe how weak the crowd was. Not that it's totally their fault, I mean, that place holds like 100 students. Regardless, it wasn't loud or crazy and it basically just made me laugh at how overhyped Duke is in general. Well, that's what you get when you go to a school with loads and loads of money....supplied by the immoral admissions standards of the university...overhyped

let the thread begin!

Oh, and KaraKiz is dead on about the pathetic cheer sheets that Duke fans use during the game. DO NOT attempt to act like you are above any other fans.....you guys act no different than anyone else.

2007 Series:
Maryland 2 Duke 0
UNC 2 Duke 0

Ouch

Why the hell is this in the premed forum? Doesn't this belong in the lounge or something?

once again typical dookie. I was at the duke/unc game at cameron and your number one cheer is for everybody in the entire stadium to point at someone wearing north carolina apparell and chant "go to hell carolina!" This was even done to a little boy sitting with his parents who was not more than 10 years old. On another occasion a duke fan took a north carolina fan's hat and threw it to the lower level and it was tossed around the entire stadium. thats classFULL huh?
Carolina's cheer has "Go to Hell Duke!" in it. I don't have a problem with either one. Those cheers have been in place for 50 years, it just adds to the rivalry.

Oh, and KaraKiz is dead on about the pathetic cheer sheets that Duke fans use during the game. DO NOT attempt to act like you are above any other fans.....you guys act no different than anyone else.

2007 Series:
Maryland 2 Duke 0
UNC 2 Duke 0

Ouch
Well, at least we make an attempt to be creative and don't just settle for cussing at the other team and insulting their families. Not every student can exactly be up-to-date on the personal lives of every player, so cheer sheets help coordinate the cheers of 1200 students since we try to mix it up the whole game. If you want to call that pathetic, that's fine.

Oh and if you read the top of the spirit sheet, that's why we're different from other fans. Not all fans of all colleges are inappropriate, obviously. I'm sure we have our fair share of people who would love to chant insulting things to the players. But we do a decent job of censoring ourselves.

Carolina's cheer has "Go to Hell Duke!" in it. I don't have a problem with either one. Those cheers have been in place for 50 years, it just adds to the rivalry.

what about a fan throwing a grapefruit at Dean Smith on the way to the locker room and it hits then assistant coach Roy Williams? Or VA Tech coach Seth Greenberg getting poked in the eye bye the cameron crazies' "spirit fingers?" or flicking off the FSU coaching stafff and team bc they popped their jerseys?

what about a fan throwing a grapefruit at Dean Smith on the way to the locker room and it hits then assistant coach Roy Williams? Or VA Tech coach Seth Greenberg getting poked in the eye bye the cameron crazies' "spirit fingers?" or flicking off the FSU coaching stafff and team bc they popped their jerseys?
Dean Smith? Are you referring to something that happened 15+ years ago as support for your argument? Spirit fingers are foam. I'm sure he was fine and that it was just an accident for goodness sakes.

However you feel about Duke fans shouldn't affect your feelings about the school. They are two completely separate entitities and it's kind of ridiculous to not apply to a school because you don't like the basketball team.

Sorry, I forgot Maryland fans were classy individuals. Oh wait, they hit one of our players' mothers with a glass bottle? Heaven forbid we poke somebody with a foam finger!

Apparently that house you're living in is made of one-way glass.

Basketball and medical school have nothing to do with each other, geez, let go of the inferiority complex.

Sorry, I forgot Maryland fans were classy individuals. Oh wait, they hit one of our players' mothers with a glass bottle? Heaven forbid we poke somebody with a foam finger!

Apparently that house you're living in is made of one-way glass.

Basketball and medical school have nothing to do with each other, geez, let go of the inferiority complex.

This line along with LizzyM's post are by far the only two most important things said in this thread.

But it doesn't surprise me that such threads are made seeing how I've seen equally bad threads in the past saying they wouldn't go somewhere due to the football team or things of that nature.

Make sure you have this team going far in your bracket folks:

law-acie.jpg

Make sure you have this team going far in your bracket folks:

law-acie.jpg

Acie Law IV is a beast. Don't know that I could pick them to go all the way, though.

On another note, cheat sheets (which even instructed us to stay away from DJ Strawberry's family) are far superior to crude signs referencing lewd acts involving players' not-even-legal-aged sisters. But what do I know...

Isn't there a Maryland thread where y'all can go talk about crabcakes and football? Isn't that what y'all do?

OP you're a fool.

You are weak and let your emotions run wild too easily. If you do this on the internet, I wonder how you are in real life? Probably not much better.

Don't let your bitterness for DukeMed not wanting you affect your judgment again. I thought people on this board had at least half a brain, but I guess you wanted to prove me wrong.

This line along with LizzyM's post are by far the only two most important things said in this thread.

But it doesn't surprise me that such threads are made seeing how I've seen equally bad threads in the past saying they wouldn't go somewhere due to the football team or things of that nature.

no this is different. its not because one doesnt like the team. its because of the lack of class and character of their team and coach which is reflected upon many of their students since the basketball team at duke is such a big part of the experience of going to duke (heck they campout to go to games<--- tho i dont like what they represent this aspect is pretty cool). the original point was that as a medical student, one expresses an interest and concern for the well being of people. after yesterday's incident(see above if not familiar, and this was not the first of the type-sean dockery hit same player in the face when duke lost last year) duke students still defend their player as if nothing was done wrong and the victim got what was coming to him. this is the exact opposite of med students want to turn into and it is a proven fact that duke takes top notch students who know nothing about basketball and indeed turns them into such fanatics about their team that their students will support anything in order to defend the lack of integrity that their team displays (last night). a top med student, though maybe seeking a top education at duke (grreat school) does not want to turn into a "dookie."

no this is different. its not because one doesnt like the team. its because of the lack of class and character of their team and coach which is reflected upon many of their students since the basketball team at duke is such a big part of the experience of going to duke (heck they campout to go to games<--- tho i dont like what they represent this aspect is pretty cool). the original point was that as a medical student, one expresses an interest and concern for the well being of people. after yesterday's incident(see above if not familiar, and this was not the first of the type-sean dockery hit same player in the face when duke lost last year) duke students still defend their player as if nothing was done wrong and the victim got what was coming to him. this is the exact opposite of med students want to turn into and it is a proven fact that duke takes top notch students who know nothing about basketball and indeed turns them into such fanatics about their team that their students will support anything in order to defend the lack of integrity that their team displays (last night). a top med student, though maybe seeking a top education at duke (grreat school) does not want to turn into a "dookie."

Let it go, that's like saying if I went to Maryland for medical school I'd turn into a car-burning, bottle-throwing, inferiority-complexed, foul-mouthed, hyperbole-prone Terrapin.

Coach K is one of the classiest individuals in college sports (or all of sports for that matter), and a hard foul by one of our players says nothing about his integrity, the team's integrity, the coach's integrity, the school's integrity, or the students' integrity, much less the medical school's integrity. I'm sorry if you can't understand this.

Off the medical school topic, Maryland never was, is not, and never will be, Duke's rivals. End of story. Duke/UNC is year-in, year-out one of the best matchups in sports, and this is just another chapter in that story. Go find your own rival. Try Boston College out for size. They're almost as big a bunch of punks as you guys.

That is a stretch. Harvard football isnt the tradition at Harvard that duke basketball is at duke. Duke basketball plays a major role in the publicity that duke gets in the media. To support such a classless program and a classless coach degrades one as a human. I never said one word against DukeMed so don't put words in my mouth. You are acting like a classic "dookie." However, it is ironic that there are probably medical school students at Duke, not all but many, that want to help people but still think yesterday's incident was nothing out of the ordinary.

First of all, you're the one that said that you would not attend Duke, etc. I assume you're talking about DukeMed since this is a pre-med forum. So I didn't put words in your mouth....you did.

Secondly, I am far from the classic "dookie." I'm a Tennessee Vol, and no matter how long I'm at Duke, Tennessee will always be home....I'm definitely far from an elitist snob who likes to see poor sportsmanship. At Tennessee, if we win it's because we're better..... I don't support foul play, regardless of the situation. I think the foul on UNC was unfortunate. If it was intentional, I think the coach needs to handle it.

You post strikes a nerve with me because of how sincere and devoted most of the people in the DukeMed community really seem to be. I have really been amazed at the people I have met at Duke, and the medical community here at Duke is one of the best in the world. You can make a link between one basketball play and DukeMed if you want, but you're truly missing the real picture.

Another ironic thing is that you mention in your posts how much a part of Duke basketball really is. Well, it isn't. I hate to say it, but Tennessee trumps Duke in athletics. In college, sports were truly a heartbeat of the campus. In fact, I used to wake up on Saturdays hearing the marching band practice before the game. It was truly an experience that Duke doesn't seem to offer [or at least not to that degree]. Also, Duke has only one super huge program, and that's men's basketball. There are limited seats, so people have to camp out, etc., to get seats. When you can go to the UT football games for free without waiting in a line and sing Rocky Top with 107,000 fans on a Saturday, THAT is a school with a sports program. My point here is that basketball really doesn't define Duke. Sure, it's a big deal, but Duke is defined in so many other ways. I know that [especially on the medical side of things] people sure do not make as big a deal out of sports at Duke as people might assume. And they definitely do not let the basketball team define their existence here at Duke. After all, they have enough rockin' things of their own to define what they do here....

Haha, OP, don't come here, cuz we don't want you. Everyone here at DukeMed loves Duke, for reasons other than basketball (believe it or not, I came for the MEDICAL educaiton, and not the quality or caliber of the undergrads or basketball team). Good luck with picking your future school, I hope you get your priorities straight before your final decision.

He shouldnt have been in the game. If Carolina had any class at all they wouldn't try to run up the score after a solid win. They would take their goldenboy out.

It's also absolutely clear that the foul was unintentional. Follow Gerald's eyes and you can see he was trying for the ball.

oh yea, its a friggin game. If you are basing the potential for your future career on a single 5-second event in a basketball game then good luck in life.... you'll need it.

Dally, Dally, Dally, I'm only going to say it one more time.

Gary_Williams_Maryland_Basketball_Coach_Drunk.jpg

How is he not fired after this footage? Why does he let his fans curse in unison at other teams? No class.

Coach K is one of the classiest individuals in college sports (or all of sports for that matter), and a hard foul by one of our players says nothing about his integrity, the team's integrity, the coach's integrity, the school's integrity, or the students' integrity, much less the medical school's integrity. I'm sorry if you can't understand this.

Coach K is not classy.

Off the medical school topic, Maryland never was, is not, and never will be, Duke's rivals. End of story. Duke/UNC is year-in, year-out one of the best matchups in sports, and this is just another chapter in that story. Go find your own rival. Try Boston College out for size. They're almost as big a bunch of punks as you guys.

1) Duke/UNC has lost its flair recently and is certainly NOT year-in year-out one of the best matches in sports.

2) Although Duke/Maryland is not as traditional as Duke/UNC, the TV ratings, opinions of sports journalists, Maryland fans, and most Duke fans other than yourself agree that Duke/Maryland has been one of the most heated rivalries in college basketball in the past decade.

Declaring that Maryland is "not our rival" is just another typical Duke way of saying "we are elitist children of filthy rich parents" Then again, you guys do always earn it, considering you dish out 45K a year for a college degree.

Coach K is not classy.

1) Duke/UNC has lost its flair recently and is certainly NOT year-in year-out one of the best matches in sports.

2) Although Duke/Maryland is not as traditional as Duke/UNC, the TV ratings, opinions of sports journalists, Maryland fans, and most Duke fans other than yourself agree that Duke/Maryland has been one of the most heated rivalries in college basketball in the past decade.

Declaring that Maryland is "not our rival" is just another typical Duke way of saying "we are elitist children of filthy rich parents" Then again, you guys do always earn it, considering you dish out 45K a year for a college degree.

You're confusing "heated" with "hated." If you can show me national TV ratings that have Duke/Maryland higher than Duke/UNC, I'll believe you, because I KNOW about 99.9% of Duke fans do not consider Maryland our rivals, and quite frankly, the opinion of Maryland fans isn't terribly important to me. And I'm sure you know this, being a Maryland fan and all, but not every Duke student is an "elitist child of filthy rich parents." My dad's a nurse and my mom's a homemaker. Some people actually go to the school to get an education.

To keep this medical school-related, I would say that since the majority of students didn't let the lacrosse scandal keep them from coming to Duke Med, I would seriously doubt that a hard foul in a basketball game would keep students away from the school. And regardless of personal biases, Duke Med graduates score well on the boards, match well, and are generally well-regarded. You don't get to be #6 for nothing.

Coach K is not classy.

Maryland fans pride themselves in "Fu<k JJ" cheers, "Fu<k Duke" cheers, and calling Shelden Williams a rapist/******.

Everytime I watch a game in Maryland it seems like 1 in 3 fans has a Fu<K DUKE t-shirt on.

And you're talking about no class. It would be easy to make fun of DJ strawberry as well but we won't do it. Its a sport, there shouldn't be true hatred, know your boundaries.

duke-maryland has been a nice rivalry over the past decade, but it never has nor never will replace the carolina rivalry for us. i compare it to michigan in football- michigan st. tries like maryland to claim the michigan rivalry as the most heated, but we know michigan/ohio state is the best football rivalry.

Duke fans have made fun of DJ.

May I also remind all of the "classy" Duke fans out there of your student section chanting "Crackhead parents" at Juan Dixon? I'll fill the rest of you in. Juan Dixon grew up with two heroin addicts for parents. Both were dead from AIDS by the time he was 17. REAL CLASSY. Get over yourselves. I'm not saying anyone is perfect, but I'm tired of hearing how Duke fans are just better fans than everyone else b/c they are inherently "classy".