Dumb Mistake... Withdraw from CC Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sculptura

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad (pre-DO) who's taking pre-reqs at a local CC. I'm enrolled in Gen Chem 2 and Biochem for the summer term.

I think I'll get an A in Gen Chem 2... but I'm really, really struggling with Biochem -- probably because I enrolled in it without having taken the pre-reqs (Gen Chem 2 and Orgo 1). I'm pretty sure I can skate by with a B (the CC doesn't have B+ or B- grades), but I have no shot at an A.

What's better: (1) Taking a "W" in a CC course and then re-taking it for an A after completing the proper pre-reqs, or (2) getting a B the first time around?

Background: 25 years old; 3.6 undergrad cGPA; political science degree; mediocre low-level science grades (B+, B+, C+) from undergrad institution.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry what??? You'd rather take a Withdrawl over a B???? That's INSANE, please DO NOT do that. People take Ws when they are legit struggling in the course (risk of getting a D or F).

B isnt even bad man... especially in bchm.

Reactions: 4 users
Yea only withdraw if you're in hot water. I'm sorry you're disappointed with your B, but it's in a difficult course so it won't reflect poorly on your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

My only concern is that the class is at a CC -- and my grades from my undergrad are already pretty bad...

Also, the new MCAT is biochem-heavy, so getting a B in the course purely through half-assed memorization could hurt me in the long term... I dunno.

(By the way, Fuji, congrats on the killer 513 MCAT. Do you have any test prep tips?)

Yea you'll definitely need to understand the material for the mcat, but taking a W will only make your application look worse.

For the MCAT, I recommend spending first the half of your time content review. Go through the books, take notes actively, go through them again for concepts you dont understand. Some subjects are more tested heavily than others, so you have to learn to distinguish what you really need to know well and what they love testing. For bio, go through the whole kaplan book. Make sure you know the nephron, embryology, lab test (qPCR, ELISA, Western/Northern/Southern blot, etc). Psych/socy memorization and understand every single definition in the kaplan book. Bchm, make sure you know amino acids, respiration, where sugars are stored, what happens in the body, these are essential concepts. For orgo, tbh I spent two days on it I knew I sucked at it and realized that most people will probably get those question wrong too so Id rather focus on things I can really understand. For physics, I went through the kaplan book and made an equation sheet. Same with chem. For cars, I did 3-4 passages every day, focusing on words like "however, but, etc" bc those tell you what the author's message is. Actively highlighted and summarized each paragraph.

That's the first half. The second half is going through as many practice tests as possible. More practice = better performance. You'll also start to recognize what they love testing and will know what you need help on. You need to go through every question afterwards and figure out what you got wrong and WHY. That is important otherwise you wont learn and improve.

Finally, mindset. Realize that everyone else is struggling too and that people have done it before, and you can too! It feels like a mountain that you are chipping away at, but just stay strong mentally. I recommend the in person (NOT ONLINE) kaplan course bc 1) it sets the tone and your classmates are just as clueless so it helps mental strength and 2) you can ask your instructor for questions about stuff you dont understand 3) they teach a great cars method

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing from courses always looks bad because it's kind of an indication of not being able to finish something that you started.

Think of it this way: if you take a W during your post-bac work, there is a good chance that you will be asked to give an explanation for it. Your explanation isn't a good one. The fact that you took a course, which is well known for being difficult, without two of the prerequisites shows pretty poor judgement imo.

On the other hand, if you get a B in Biochem, no one will every ask you why. Because your class will be full of people with B's (or even C's) in Biochem or O chem. Take the B and spend some extra time on biochem material during your MCAT prep if you are concerned.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up getting an A in the course.

Thank you, wise SDNers, for knocking some sense into me. :p

Reactions: 3 users