Had to Withdraw from SMP after first term, go back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venuskiwi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was a SMP student at EVMS Medical Master's 1 year program a year ago. I didn't start well but then in the middle of my first semester my best friend got run over and killed in a car crash, then in the beginning of my second semester my grandfather died, and another friend committed suicide. It was a bad 3-4 months. This all combined within about 3 months and I ended up not doing well in the first semester (my grades were trending up until this happened) and I struck a deal with the director of the program for me to withdraw with no second semester grades. This means on my transcript I have three classes:
1. Professional Skills: A (3 Credits)
2. Human Structure: C+ (7 Credits)
3. Foundational Science: B- (8 Credits)

GPA: 2.76

Obviously not ideal, and after this I left, got a job as a software engineer, and now live out in Kansas City, MO working full time. But I know I'd like to still be a physician, I'm also not stupid and know this is at best a significant issue and at worst a killer for any future medical career.

My question is, with time (like over the course of 2-3 years) could I take some classes, re-enroll in an SMP and do better without the issues that affected me this time and potentially have a chance? Or is my medical career over?

I was thinking I'd spend some time doing more volunteering and MCAT studying, maybe taking a class or two to keep my brain functioning as a student and raise my sgpa, and then re-apply to another SMP like KCU's, hopefully ace it, and then re-apply. I was too young for the SMP and got distracted too easily anyway, and I want to take some time to mature (having a full time job has matured me very quickly as well), but my grades were trending way up (A on the exam right before my friend was killed).

@Goro I especially value your fair but tough input on this. I know I'm in a huge hole, do you see this as an absolute killer? If I spend 3 years preparing + doing another SMP I would probably be 25 or 26 when applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Also if I were to do another SMP, would it need to be EVMS again or could I do one around where I live to help reduce the burden a bit?

Given what you've been through, if you return to your program and Ace the remaining semesters, I think you have a good chance at becoming a doctor.

I strongly suggest that you develop good coping skills as well.

It doesn't have to be at your original program. You can definitely shop around.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Given what you've been through, if you return to your program and Ace the remaining semesters, I think you have a good chance at becoming a doctor.

I strongly suggest that you develop good coping skills as well.

It doesn't have to be at your original program. You can definitely shop around.
Thank you! That's why I want to take some time, make sure I'm prepared to ace no matter what and also I have a lot more patience now than I used to so I'm better at seeing this process as a marathon rather than sprint.

Reactions: 1 user
When you shop around to restart your SMP journey, look very carefully for student learning and support resources. If you excel, you will need to most supportive faculty and program directors to vouch for you, and you need to know they have been successful getting "bent arrows" into schools.

Reactions: 1 user
When you shop around to restart your SMP journey, look very carefully for student learning and support resources. If you excel, you will need to most supportive faculty and program directors to vouch for you, and you need to know they have been successful getting "bent arrows" into schools.
When you refer to "bent arrows" are you referring to the fact I have a semester of poor grades or my lack of coping skills or something else?
I guess I'm just confused a bit about what you're referring to here.

When you refer to "bent arrows" are you referring to the fact I have a semester of poor grades or my lack of coping skills or something else?
I guess I'm just confused a bit about what you're referring to here.
You are doing an SMP for a good reason as opposed to being a "traditional student". Non-traditional or those doing SMP's due to academic difficulties are often called "bent arrows" in admissions parlance.

You are doing an SMP for a good reason as opposed to being a "traditional student". Non-traditional or those doing SMP's due to academic difficulties are often called "bent arrows" in admissions parlance.
Heh, learn something new every day, thanks!