Quantcast

Dumb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retinamark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Can I ask a dumb question?? :confused: What exactly is a dean's letter? We don't have these in Australia. What should it contain? Is it a personal reference from the dean, or just a letter from the admin office to say you didn't get in any trouble & passed all subject? We had over 1000 students at our med school, so few people ever get to know the dean personally.
Thanks

margaritaboy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And its usually written by the Dean of your medical school.

kristing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ours also say what your rank was (if it was stellar), what activities you did in med school, if you were involved in research, etc.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
margaritaboy said:
And its usually written by the Dean of your medical school.

Don't you mean signed by the Dean of your medical school? Written by one of a couple of secretaries where I went to school. ;)

Retinamark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. There isn't a tradition of people asking for these in Australia, so no-one keeps a record of positive comments etc. This is going to be tough. One of my fellowship applications has been put aside by the program secretary until I get my deans letter. :mad: What a hassle. Thanks for the advice. I'll try & get some sort of letter from the medschool.

margaritaboy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
edinOH said:
Don't you mean signed by the Dean of your medical school? Written by one of a couple of secretaries where I went to school. ;)

Ours were actually written by the Dean. Or, to be more accurate, dictated by the Dean, and then transcribed.

B

Blade28

Gfunk6 said:
A Dean's letter is a compiliation of all the positive things that were said about you by your interns, residents, and attendings during your core clinical clerkships and 4th year sub-I's and electives.

Hmmm...from what I've heard (including from our own dean), it's a compilation of ALL your formative comments from the clinical clerkships...the comments aren't edited to only include the "good" bits.

In other words, bad evals will show up too. :(