Lady Tokimi

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
244
0
Status
Are DOs considered medical doctors?? or are DOs just simply doctors??
 

Archer14

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
23
0
Status
Pre-Medical
You were accepted to AZCOM and don't know what your degree is in?
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
2,586
16
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
MD=medicinae doctor/doctor of medicine
DO=doctor of osteopathy

I'm thinking if you go around telling people you are a "medical doctor" which sounds strange they will think you mean MD.
 
About the Ads

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
1,619
5
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term, the original title was Diplomat of Osteopathy when A.T. Still, MD only taught his students OMM and Anatomy, which then evolved into Doctor of Osteopathy as more forms of treatment such as surgery were taught. Our official title is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine now as we are trained in Pharmacology (yes Dr. Still eventually had to allow medicine be taught), Surgery, and all aspects of modern medicine. We are medical doctors. Things have changed since people expected to die when they called their doctor to bleed them dry or administer some poison, and as things change so does our profession. It’s in that ability to adapt and be dynamic that makes our profession so great. If modern medicine went down a road to harm patients again I am sure we would diverge once again.
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
2,586
16
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for the info. Seems like there are a few areas where there is a problem with titles.


Nate said:
Actually Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term, the original title was Diplomat of Osteopathy when A.T. Still, MD only taught his students OMM and Anatomy, which then evolved into Doctor of Osteopathy as more forms of treatment such as surgery were taught. Our official title is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine now as we are trained in Pharmacology (yes Dr. Still eventually had to allow medicine be taught), Surgery, and all aspects of modern medicine. We are medical doctors. Things have changed since people expected to die when they called their doctor to bleed them dry or administer some poison, and as things change so does our profession. It’s in that ability to adapt and be dynamic that makes our profession so great. If modern medicine went down a road to harm patients again I am sure we would diverge once again.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,684
6
Status
Medical Student
HunterGatherer said:
MD=medicinae doctor/doctor of medicine
DO=doctor of osteopathy

I'm thinking if you go around telling people you are a "medical doctor" which sounds strange they will think you mean MD.
No, Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term. This is only used to describe International Doctors that learn only OMM and not medicine (i.e. in Great Britain).

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

MD = Doctor of Medicine (Doctor of Allopathic Medicine)

Both are Doctors of Medicine (the DO degree simply has an added adjective, implying the additional training in osteopathic manual medicine)
 

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
2,023
2
The best coast (west coast)
Status
Yup, medical doctor goes for both types of physicians. It is not a specific degree. I actually stumbled on a website that said there are 2 types of doctors " Medical Doctors and Osteopathic Doctors" ... I emailed them that it is incorrect (Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Osteopathy) and they changed it. It is a common mistake but to answer you question, both types of physicians are medical doctors.
 

Old_Mil

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
2,138
660
51
Earth
Status
Attending Physician
Lady Tokimi said:
Are DOs considered medical doctors?? or are DOs just simply doctors??
MDs and DOs are both "medical" doctors (as opposed to PhDs, DPTs, JDs, NDs, DCs)...
 

strawberryfield

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
999
9
Status
Attending Physician
Archer14 said:
You were accepted to AZCOM and don't know what your degree is in?
little harsh there! :eek:

doctor of this, doctor of that... blah blah blah

it's a game of semantics!!

Not that there isn't a difference...
But frankly, the term physician suits them both equally...
 
About the Ads