Dumb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lady Tokimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are DOs considered medical doctors?? or are DOs just simply doctors??

Members don't see this ad.

You were accepted to AZCOM and don't know what your degree is in?

MD=medicinae doctor/doctor of medicine
DO=doctor of osteopathy

I'm thinking if you go around telling people you are a "medical doctor" which sounds strange they will think you mean MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I like Archer's response!

Actually Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term, the original title was Diplomat of Osteopathy when A.T. Still, MD only taught his students OMM and Anatomy, which then evolved into Doctor of Osteopathy as more forms of treatment such as surgery were taught. Our official title is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine now as we are trained in Pharmacology (yes Dr. Still eventually had to allow medicine be taught), Surgery, and all aspects of modern medicine. We are medical doctors. Things have changed since people expected to die when they called their doctor to bleed them dry or administer some poison, and as things change so does our profession. It’s in that ability to adapt and be dynamic that makes our profession so great. If modern medicine went down a road to harm patients again I am sure we would diverge once again.

thanks for the info. Seems like there are a few areas where there is a problem with titles.

Nate said:
Actually Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term, the original title was Diplomat of Osteopathy when A.T. Still, MD only taught his students OMM and Anatomy, which then evolved into Doctor of Osteopathy as more forms of treatment such as surgery were taught. Our official title is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine now as we are trained in Pharmacology (yes Dr. Still eventually had to allow medicine be taught), Surgery, and all aspects of modern medicine. We are medical doctors. Things have changed since people expected to die when they called their doctor to bleed them dry or administer some poison, and as things change so does our profession. It’s in that ability to adapt and be dynamic that makes our profession so great. If modern medicine went down a road to harm patients again I am sure we would diverge once again.

HunterGatherer said:
MD=medicinae doctor/doctor of medicine
DO=doctor of osteopathy

I'm thinking if you go around telling people you are a "medical doctor" which sounds strange they will think you mean MD.

No, Doctor of Osteopathy is an outdated term. This is only used to describe International Doctors that learn only OMM and not medicine (i.e. in Great Britain).

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

MD = Doctor of Medicine (Doctor of Allopathic Medicine)

Both are Doctors of Medicine (the DO degree simply has an added adjective, implying the additional training in osteopathic manual medicine)

Yup, medical doctor goes for both types of physicians. It is not a specific degree. I actually stumbled on a website that said there are 2 types of doctors " Medical Doctors and Osteopathic Doctors" ... I emailed them that it is incorrect (Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Osteopathy) and they changed it. It is a common mistake but to answer you question, both types of physicians are medical doctors.

Lady Tokimi said:
Are DOs considered medical doctors?? or are DOs just simply doctors??

MDs and DOs are both "medical" doctors (as opposed to PhDs, DPTs, JDs, NDs, DCs)...

Archer14 said:
You were accepted to AZCOM and don't know what your degree is in?

little harsh there! :eek:

doctor of this, doctor of that... blah blah blah

it's a game of semantics!!

Not that there isn't a difference...
But frankly, the term physician suits them both equally...