Duodenum Pronunciation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW3843

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do most of you pronounce "duodenum" and how have you heard it pronounced by people who actually know what they're talking about? I know I've heard both and I catch myself switching between the two all the time.

is it duo-dee-numb
or is it do-ah-deh-numb

(as you can tell I'm probably not going to get a job at Webster's in their pronunciation department)

Members don't see this ad.

DW3843 said:
How do most of you pronounce "duodenum" and how have you heard it pronounced by people who actually know what they're talking about? I know I've heard both and I catch myself switching between the two all the time.

is it duo-dee-numb
or is it do-ah-deh-numb

(as you can tell I'm probably not going to get a job at Webster's in their pronunciation department)

You may not, but here is what they say:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=duodenum

either one is fine

Webster also says either one is fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a gastroenterologist for a couple of days earlier this week and probably used both pronounciations and he never corrected me, so I'm sure both are fine.

Now the nurse did correct me when I had a brain fart and said "descending colon" when what I meant was "ascending colon." I was thinking "well at least the colonoscope was descending anyway!" :laugh: :laugh:

DW3843 said:
is it duo-dee-numb
or is it do-ah-deh-numb

Either pronunciation is correct.
The 1st way you mentioned is the British pronunciation, and the 2nd way tends to be the more American pronunciation. (although I have heard many Americans pronounce it the British way).

You will not be faulted with saying it either way, but do try to be a little consistent, otherwise you'll be stumbling over your own words by thinking too much about them... :)

Well if we are asking about pronunciations, what is the proper way to say angina?

Is it an-gin-ahh or an-jiy-na (like vagina). I have noticed the older cardiologists say it the first way and the younger docs usually say it the second way. I guess its personal preferance.

i heard another one the other day when i overheard an english doctor speaking. i had never heard somebody say esophagus the way he did.

he pronounced it: e-so-fay-gus
the way i have always heard it: e-saw-fuh-gus

umbilicus...

um-bill-ih-cus

--or--

um-bill-eye-cus

:confused:

oh boy, here we go...

Skull-lee-tull or skell-la-tul ?
ca-pill-are-ees or cap-ill-air-ees ?
vee-sick-ulls or vess-ick-ulls ?
duo-dee-numb or do-od-numb ?
and my personal favorite...
bar-bi%*h-oo-its or bar-bi-ture-ates ?

oh...i forgot...
cent-a-meter or sont-a-meter...(sontameter is f'n pretensious if you ask me, but to each his/her own i guess...)

Discobolus said:
Now the nurse did correct me when I had a brain fart and said "descending colon" when what I meant was "ascending colon." I was thinking "well at least the colonoscope was descending anyway!" :laugh: :laugh:

My old path lecturer said "the descending colon is the assending (ascending) colon."

SoulRFlare said:
oh...i forgot...
cent-a-meter or sont-a-meter...(sontameter is f'n pretensious if you ask me, but to each his/her own i guess...)

I never understood sontameter...do you also buy a newspaper for 50 sonts?

Also, not medical but....PEE-can or pe-CON (pecan)? PEE-can is what i keep under the bed...

SoulRFlare said:
oh...i forgot...

"Sont-a-meter" annoys the hell out of me. I agree that it is a really pretentious pronunciation. At least I've only heard a few physicians pronounce it "sont-a-meter."

Joog-u-ler or jug-u-ler (Jugular)

media-stein-um or me-dee-ast-in-um (mediastinum)

old school docs put wrong em-fas-is on the wrong sil-ab-ul

If you're going to say sont-a-meter pretentiously, may as well spell it pretentiously: sont-a-metre

-S

(assending colon :laugh: )

macdown said:
Well if we are asking about pronunciations, what is the proper way to say angina?

Is it an-gin-ahh or an-jiy-na (like vagina). I have noticed the older cardiologists say it the first way and the younger docs usually say it the second way. I guess its personal preferance.

I was told by professors to pronounce it as an-gin-ahh and not as an-jiy-na. However the dictionary has both pronunciations as correct with the an-jiy-na as the more popular.