E/M Coding

Started by Lurts
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lurts

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that we’re about 6 months in, curious to hear if the 2021 coding updates have changed any of your billing practices; and if so, how? It seems exceedingly easy to justify a level 4 to me.

Take a clean 20 patients per day, how many 3s, 4s, and 5s are you typically billing? I’d probably say I’m about 2-3 level 3s, 15 level 4s, and 1-2 level 5s.
 
Now that we’re about 6 months in, curious to hear if the 2021 coding updates have changed any of your billing practices; and if so, how? It seems exceedingly easy to justify a level 4 to me.

Take a clean 20 patients per day, how many 3s, 4s, and 5s are you typically billing? I’d probably say I’m about 2-3 level 3s, 15 level 4s, and 1-2 level 5s.
I'm about 80% level 4, pretty rare 5, the rest 3.
 
Now that we’re about 6 months in, curious to hear if the 2021 coding updates have changed any of your billing practices; and if so, how? It seems exceedingly easy to justify a level 4 to me.

Take a clean 20 patients per day, how many 3s, 4s, and 5s are you typically billing? I’d probably say I’m about 2-3 level 3s, 15 level 4s, and 1-2 level 5s.

Definitely easier to bill a 99214, which is the majority of my visits, with a smattering of 99213 and 99215 thrown in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably 70% 14's, 10% 13's, and 20% 15's. I'm on the above average end of FM billers...at least that's what BlueCross tells me....

I spend a lot of time updating patient's chart, cleaning up their problem list, med list, and checking if they're due for any preventative things.