Quantcast

Ear Plugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDsquash83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Okay this is a little ridiculous, but while I am studying I need absolute silence. I have ear plugs that are supposed to be good for 30 decibels. Do you guys knowing of anything better?

Noise-canceling machines? J/k.....kind of.

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only seen ear plugs that go up to around 33 so you're probably not going to do much better than what you got now unless you wear those AND a pair of headset style ones over your ears.

Active noise canceling units are more useful for reducing low frequency constant type of background sounds and not random chit chat from those around you.

niranjan162

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
u can get an mp3 players with noise blocking headphones and record a white noise and just play it on repeat while u study

dannye3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or just find a quiet place to study...

Library + ear plugs?

SoCuteMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the Bose Noise-cancelling headphones ($$ - they were a gift!) and I LOVE them. If I really really need quiet, I put in my earplugs (they are the 32dB ones I think) and then put on my headphones - turn them on, but don't plug them in. Those two things together keep out pretty much everything other than a jackhammer!

beastmaster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.safetycompany.com/product_info.php?products_id=198
Howard Leight MAX-Lite

Best on the market, in my opinion. I started using these a year ago when, for a rotation, I was given housing right next to a loud railroad. 30DB is a significant reduction, many plugs just don't achieve it properly or you may not have used it appropriately. I got hooked and on subsequent away rotations these ear plugs have guaranteed me undisturbed sleep. I've even used it to sleep at a service area on the I-80. It's good. It's the lightest foam I've ever tried. You can google a different color if you need it for say a loud night club or you're concerned about the appearance bright green stuff in your ears. For sleeping just use scissors to cut off the bulky base.

Just one word of caution, as with any in-the-canal device (hearing aids, q-tips) if you use it daily for prolonged periods (ie, every night for sleep) there's a risk of ear wax buildup so don't abuse it - or just get your wax cleaned by an ENT every 6-12 mo.

hmm...

I yam what I yam
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ethacrynic acid?

bazex bart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get the feeling that wearing ear plugs for a long time will enlarge my ear canal. Is this true?

Not that I've noticed. (I don't know of any studies on this.) Also, I've never had an ear infection, despite my long-term nightly use of earplugs.

howelljolly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Put your stethoscope in your ears, and of course keep business end away from anything that makes noise.

Silence.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
+1 on bose noise cancellation headphones. The silence while it may seem to help you focus will eventually lead your mind to wander. I suggest some abstract beats (without vocals) to help the mind wander back or atleast keep it entertained on it's wandering :)

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Custom earplugs are the best because the efficiency of the ear plug is not based on it's rating, but more importantly how well it fits your ear. I have always had a tough time finding anything that fits me, but I found some great earplugs at a gun range. I suggest you visit one and see what they have- their custom earplugs are only about $40, instead of the $150 or so that are available online.

Classical music is the best though. I put the volume at a very low level and start studying. Some music, like Mozart's string quartets, can be listened to at higher volumes and still be able to concentrate on your work. Bach's piano fugues are much more difficult to ignore, so the volume has to be very low. Experiment.