Technology earbuds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fab4fan

TiredRetiredRN
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend good earbuds? I got some from skullcandy and am not impressed. I went out for a walk today and they kept...popping...out every...couple...of...paces. It was really irritating, because I couldn't get up to a brisk walk without having to stop every few seconds to pop the buds back in. I've tried the different sizes they sent and I had the smallest ones in my ears at the time.

I don't mind spending a little more $$ on good buds, as long as they will stay in place (but not require an ENT consult to remove). Suggestions? Oh, they have to sound good too.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm searching too. My recent Sony ones just quit working in one of the buds. If I play around with the cord at the bud end sound comes on for a split second but they are goners.
I had the skullcandy ones last year and thought the sound was actually pretty good for such a stupid name.
I am going to look into those ones by Creative, $20 was my limit.

Update: Found the EP-630 on ebay for $9.99 with free s/h. Good reviews. The J-buds on amazon are tempting too they have over 1500 reviews. More research is needed b/w these two.

Last edited:
The sound is good on the skullcandy buds. They just keep popping out. If I sit absolutely still they stay in place for a few songs, but eventually they pop out even if I don't move much. That's just annoying. It's not like my ears are deformed, either.

Nothing beats the sound I got from my huge Bose headphones I had in the 80s. I wore them out they were so great.

The sound is good on the skullcandy buds. They just keep popping out. If I sit absolutely still they stay in place for a few songs, but eventually they pop out even if I don't move much. That's just annoying. It's not like my ears are deformed, either.

Nothing beats the sound I got from my huge Bose headphones I had in the 80s. I wore them out they were so great.

Hmmm either I have tiny ear canals or you have large ones. I never had this problem with buds. Cord length is the thing that keeps them from staying in my ears sometimes because it tugs them out if it gets caught.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
I love these. I got them for free with my Dell crap-top. They're the only positive things to come out of that purchase.

On a serious note, I sweat a heck of a lot when I run and these things stay put and don't short out.

The fact that they're remotely associated with Dell makes me break out into a black sweat. If they work, Dell surely doesn't make them.

I have the ones from SkullCandy and have the same problem. The sound is MUCH better with them over my previous generic white mp3 player earbuds but I can't get them to fit. They at least stay in place longer than the other pair I had. Just not long enough.

Until I can make a decision, I went back to using the phones that came with my MacBook. They stay in place better and the sound is just as good.

I'm glad to hear (lol) someone else has the same issues with these buds. I thought it was just me.

Until I can make a decision, I went back to using the phones that came with my MacBook. They stay in place better and the sound is just as good.

I'm glad to hear (lol) someone else has the same issues with these buds. I thought it was just me.
MacBook's don't come with headphones, the iPhone and iPod's do thou

Yuin PK2 -- most of you wouldn't have heard of them, but they are one of the best earphones at their price point. Just do a google search and you'll find people raving about them.

They give you CAN-sounding audio with earphones -- that is an incredible feat by itself. I hate in-ear canals -- I also have the expensive Apple earphones and have given them up for the PK2s.

Well, it was one of the Mac products I purchased. I've kind of lost track. But I'm not getting the iPad.
I know, I don't blame you for getting confused. Happens when you get older. Make sure you put your underwear on before your pants... I've heard that sometimes happens to older individuals :p

I think I found the perfect earbuds. They're "Nike Flow" earbuds. They have a piece that wraps around your ear in addition to sitting in your ear. I thought it might be annoying, but it's actually very comfortable, and no popping out issues. The sound quality is good. I'm listening to a jazz tune right now and can hear everything.

:thumbup:

I love my B&O earphones. They were a bit of an investment for me considering I live mostly off of student loans, but they fit snugly around the ears and have that great sound quality that Bang & Olufsen is known for.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/earphones

Sennheiser CX300 earbuds, price has dropped so they're very affordable, and thousands of reviewers agree they have excellent sound. They're durable as well, lasted me 4 years before my own clumsiness required me to buy a new pair.

And, they've never fallen out of my ears. They even come with 3 sized ear adapters.

Enjoy.

41ZOfA3WNIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well, it was one of the Mac products I purchased. I've kind of lost track. But I'm not getting the iPad.

Never say never, I remember something about somebody not wanting to go with an iPhone. :D

No. I gave it to dear old Dad, who has sprinted past me in terms of ability to use the darned thing. Show off.

Yeah, those old fogies, teaching you young people how it's done. The old people just get technology or it might be that Apple makes products that even an idiot can understand :p

Sennheiser CX300 earbuds, price has dropped so they're very affordable, and thousands of reviewers agree they have excellent sound. They're durable as well, lasted me 4 years before my own clumsiness required me to buy a new pair.

And, they've never fallen out of my ears. They even come with 3 sized ear adapters.

Enjoy.

41ZOfA3WNIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those look exactly the same as the Creative ones we mentioned above.

Yeah, those old fogies, teaching you young people how it's done. The old people just get technology or it might be that Apple makes products that even an idiot can understand :p

Or if you're retired you have more time to spend playing with toys.

Love my Westone UM1s. Great warm sound and they can take a beating. I used to have a pair of Etymotic ER 6is and they had a good neutral sound. However, the cord connection site is kind of weak and one of my earphones died after about 1.5 years. My UM1s are still going strong after about 3 years.