Early Decision Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

presurge23

TBA class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying Early Decision to the UCONN school of Medicine and just received notification by phone and email that they would like to interview me. I have looked at the SDN Interview review section forums but would like some further input or advice on the interview process. Here is a little background info on me.

-Reapplicant, after denial, took a year to retake MCAT and gain clinical experience
-Business major (3.56 Cum gpa)(BCPM3.84)
-25 MCAT (Phys-9 Verb-7 Bio-9), took MCAT twice 1st time got 22 (Phys-7 Verb-7 Bio-8)
-Tons of clinical experience: 1000+ hrs (EMT-I), 250+ hrs (volunteer), shadowed 100+ surgeries
-LOR from MD and pre-prof committee

What should I expect during the interview process? Should I prepare by going over the essays I submitted, visiting the schools website, and reading on here (SDN)? or is that insufficient? Any advice from those who have had already experienced the interview process I would greatly appreciate.

Thankyou, look forward to any and all of your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

presurge23 said:
I am applying Early Decision to the UCONN school of Medicine and just received notification by phone and email that they would like to interview me. I have looked at the SDN Interview review section forums but would like some further input or advice on the interview process. Here is a little background info on me.

-Reapplicant, after denial, took a year to retake MCAT and gain clinical experience
-Business major (3.56 Cum gpa)(BCPM3.84)
-25 MCAT (Phys-9 Verb-7 Bio-9), took MCAT twice 1st time got 22 (Phys-7 Verb-7 Bio-8)
-Tons of clinical experience: 1000+ hrs (EMT-I), 250+ hrs (volunteer), shadowed 100+ surgeries
-LOR from MD and pre-prof committee

What should I expect during the interview process? Should I prepare by going over the essays I submitted, visiting the schools website, and reading on here (SDN)? or is that insufficient? Any advice from those who have had already experienced the interview process I would greatly appreciate.

Thankyou, look forward to any and all of your responses.

Are early decision interviews different somehow from regular interviews? Just curious.

dopaminesurge said:
Are early decision interviews different somehow from regular interviews? Just curious.

I have no idea if they are different, perhaps someone who has experienced an early decision interview could shed some light on that question. Thats why I posted this question any input anyone has i'm all ears...

Members don't see this ad :)
jus be able to confidently tell them why uconn over any other skool...

presurge23 said:
I have no idea if they are different, perhaps someone who has experienced an early decision interview could shed some light on that question. Thats why I posted this question any input anyone has i'm all ears...

The interview process will be the same as the regular MD applicant interview... just earlier in the app cycle. I think they're doing three interviews now (2 faculty, 1 student)... although depending upon when your interview is, (if there are students around at that time), your student interview may either be dropped or replaced by another faculty member... I'm not really sure. When I applied ED, I just had two faculty interviews.

You mentioned that you're a reapplicant "after denial".... were you flat out rejected or placed on a tier of the waitlist the first time around? As far as what to prepare for, your clinical activities sound impressive.... I'd be prepared for questions about them for sure. Also, although your BCPM is outstanding, your overall GPA is average for the school, and your MCAT scores (both attempts) are well below the school's average. You didn't mention if you are a URM or if English is not your first language, but I'd be prepared to defend your MCAT scores (especially the 7's in verbal). Hope this helps! :luck:

microgin said:
The interview process will be the same as the regular MD applicant interview... just earlier in the app cycle. I think they're doing three interviews now (2 faculty, 1 student)... although depending upon when your interview is, (if there are students around at that time), your student interview may either be dropped or replaced by another faculty member... I'm not really sure. When I applied ED, I just had two faculty interviews.

You mentioned that you're a reapplicant "after denial".... were you flat out rejected or placed on a tier of the waitlist the first time around? As far as what to prepare for, your clinical activities sound impressive.... I'd be prepared for questions about them for sure. Also, although your BCPM is outstanding, your overall GPA is average for the school, and your MCAT scores (both attempts) are well below the school's average. You didn't mention if you are a URM or if English is not your first language, but I'd be prepared to defend your MCAT scores (especially the 7's in verbal). Hope this helps! :luck:

Thanks for the post Microgin. In response, English is my first and only spoken language. I was flat out rejected the first time I applied. When I applied then I had the MCAT of 22 and no clinical experience. So I have improved my MCAT a little bit and my clinical experience a ton. I was going to take the MCAT a 3rd time but honestly I thought it was more beneficial to gain the clinical experience I now have rather than spend a few more months studying for a few extra points. So now, at least I got an interview which my interpretation of that is,"you have what it takes on paper to come here, but do you have what it takes in person." If I shine on on interview day I feel I have a decent shot at getting in. I guess I will just have to wait and see, only time will tell... Oh lastly, did you get into UCONN? and if so did you matriculate there?
I look forward to your response...