Early decision md and do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMJ

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a reapplicant and was thinking of applying early decision. does anyone know if i can do early decision to both an MD and a DO school at the same time?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's really nothing to stop you as these are independent application processes. You might be violating the "spirit" of what these programs intend.

A bigger question is as a reapplicant do you have a strong enough application to get in as an EDP. Contact the schools you are interested in to discuss your application.

I'd check the small print. It might actually say that you cannot apply to any other medical school (i.e., does not make a distinction b/t DO and MD).

In a global sense, look at your app. If you are a re-app, then you probably don't have the # to pull down an early decision. The types of people that generally apply for those are the 4.0/30+ kiddos with ECs. A school will extend them an early decision before anyone else. Can you compete against that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd check the small print. It might actually say that you cannot apply to any other medical school (i.e., does not make a distinction b/t DO and MD).

It does say that. I was trying to say that they would probably have no way of knowing if you did. (not that this is a good idea)

It does say that. I was trying to say that they would probably have no way of knowing if you did. (not that this is a good idea)
Ah.

On a related point, I though EDP was binding, as in a contract, which means that the school may have some recourse. True, they probably won't know unless you tell them, but what will you say if you get both and have to turn one down? (Not you, you, but the hypothetical you)

In a global sense, look at your app. If you are a re-app, then you probably don't have the # to pull down an early decision. The types of people that generally apply for those are the 4.0/30+ kiddos with ECs. A school will extend them an early decision before anyone else. Can you compete against that?

this is not true for all schools and their ED process so I would check if I was you.

can you tell me where you found that is says this???

can you tell me where you found that is says this???

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/edp.htm

I applied and was accepted EDP.
I can try to answer any questions about how this works (at least in general).

The best advice I can give is that if you are interested, call the school you will be applying to. My school was very helpful during the process.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/edp.htm

I applied and was accepted EDP.
I can try to answer any questions about how this works (at least in general).

The best advice I can give is that if you are interested, call the school you will be applying to. My school was very helpful during the process.

still wondering if that is talking about just MD schools since they reference other MD schools or if it means any med schools which would then include DO as well??? I spoke with a pre-med advisor at an MD school which I am interested in applying to ED and he said this does not effect the DO apps but I guess he could be wrong, anyone know???

"To apply to only one medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) through the Early Decision Program."

Now does non-AMCAS mean only MD non-AMCAS or DO as well?
Not sure.

I'd tend to think the school would only really want you to apply to them if you are applying EDP. It sort of violates the purpose of EDP if you are applying to other schools.

Believe me, when I applied EDP to a MD school, I was asking these same questions. I decided not to apply anywhere else until I heard back from the one MD school I applied to. I was too worried that if they found out I'd get scr&^d even if I got in.

Call AMCAS and get the answer straight from the source before you apply to any other schools if you are going EDP.

Non-AMCAS only refers to MD non-AMCAS schools. They have nothing to do with AACOMAS and DO applications.

That said, applying EDP for BOTH an MD and DO program could get tricky. As far as I know if you apply and early decision and get accepted you've already kind of committed yourself to go there, so what happens if you get your MD and DO early decision acceptance?? Not sure who you'd tell one of them that you no longer wish to go there.

If you're doing both I'd think a more practical way is to say, apply EDP at the MD school, and then just normal applications to any DO schools, and vice versa.

Non-AMCAS only refers to MD non-AMCAS schools.

Disagree. Non-AMCAS means non-AMCAS. AMCAS has no authority to regulate non-AMCAS MD applications, just as they have no authority to regulate non-AMCAS DO applications. The rule does not distinguish between degree titles, curriculum, or philosophies. The point of the rule is that you agree to apply to one medical school period.

Another thing is to check with the school you are applying to.
Even for the sake of argument if AMCAS would let you apply to a non-AMCAS school, it doesn't mean the individual school would.

Here's the wording on one school's website:
Early Decision

Applicants, including those who are not Pennsylvania residents, who have selected Temple University School of Medicine as their first-choice school are encouraged to apply under the Early Decision Plan. Applications should be received between June 15 and August 1 of the year before intended enrollment. Supplementary materials must be received no later than August 15. Interviews are scheduled in early September and applicants are notified of admissions decisions by October 1st. Applicants accepted under this plan are prohibited from applying to any other medical school.

Disagree. Non-AMCAS means non-AMCAS. AMCAS has no authority to regulate non-AMCAS MD applications, just as they have no authority to regulate non-AMCAS DO applications. The rule does not distinguish between degree titles, curriculum, or philosophies. The point of the rule is that you agree to apply to one medical school period.

Both viewpoints here could be argued for, best bet for the OP is to just call up AMCAS (and maybe also AACOMAS) and ask them directly.

Here's what is says about the early decision program in the AMCAS instruction book:

EDP Applicants Agree:
• NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or
secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical
school
for an M.D. degree program for the current entering class.
• To apply to only one medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) through the
Early Decision Program.
• NOT to submit additional application(s) (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) until:
• receipt of an EDP rejection; or
• receipt of a formal release from the EDP commitment; or
• the October 1 notification deadline passes. Contact your EDP school if
you have not been notified of your status by October 1.
• To attend the school if offered an EDP acceptance.

In a semi-related question: As a re-applicant who is on 3 waitlists for 2008, do I have to withdraw from those to apply ED for 2009?

In a semi-related question: As a re-applicant who is on 3 waitlists for 2008, do I have to withdraw from those to apply ED for 2009?
The AMCAS quote above answers your question - your waitlists are for c/o 2012, not EDP 2013. You're not applying, beyond your one EDP, to any other EDPs for c/o 2013. They don't conflict per those guidelines.

Now, with gman's post, you'd need to confirm that the school you're appliny EDP for 2013 is cool with you being on some waitlists. If you can't find a statement (like Temple SOM's above,) then give the admisisons office a call. This can't be the first time they've come up against this problem.